Missing DLL Error

Hello,

I followed → Can't Launch Battle.net Desktop App Due to DLL Error - Blizzard Support

And I am still getting the DLL errors that a missing DLL could not be found even after an uninstall and failed attempt to reinstall (DLL errors thrown during it)

This happened right after the Launcher told me it needed to re-start for an update.

5 Likes

I’m having the same problem. My antivirus flagged the 13960 \libcef.dll and won’t let me un-quaranteen it. I have also followed all the steps to resolve.

If this helps i’m using cylance antivirus. Think there might be some bad code in the libcef file.

5 Likes

Had the same problem today.
Complete uninstall and reinstall fixed the problem.
I deleted all folders named Battle.net Blizzard and Blizzard Entertainment in AppData\Local AppData\Roaming and Program Files (x86) (or where your Battle.net app installed).
If you did it right installer should ask during installation you where to install the app.

Be aware that you will lose all your settings, you will need to locate your games manually and most importantly you will be forced to enter Mail/Phone and Password, so DON’T DO THIS IF YOU DON’T REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD.

I also did sfc /scannow and Visual C++ runtime update as suggested in the support article but it didn’t help without complete reinstall. So it might be also required I’m not sure.

every time i reinstall it quarantines the libcef.dll file…

1 Like

Add me to the list of people, also have cylance and it is quarantining libcef.dll. I completely uninstalled and deleted the programdata\battle.net directory then re-downloaded and installed. Cylance keeps flagging it as a threat ever since I updated today.

2 Likes

i had to log into the cylance consumer gateway website and approve/allow the dll that was being blocked. i then uninstalled battlenet, uninstalled cylance and reinstalled battlenet and it finally worked.

update - if you uninstalled cylance before approving/allowing the dll via the consumer gateway site you may have to reinstall cylance and reboot your pc.

yeah, i had to uninstall cylance to get it to work… I’m guessing a lot of people won’t be able to use battlenet on their work computers now tho. Maybe its a feature and not a bug lol :rofl:

1 Like

Ahh Thanks guys. got me too. I had this previously with steam games but i’ve done updates on the Bnet launcher so many times I didn’t even think whatever new bundle they installed had a DLL that got marked as sketchy

I’m using Cylance as well, had to un quarantine libcef.dll also. After that I could start Battlenet.

I had the same issue and it was driving me insane all night and morning! Thank you SO much to this thread.

It was Cylance. I had it a while ago and never uninstalled it - this seemed to be the issue.

I uninstalled Cylance and battlenet. Re-installed battlenet with the same error. Restarted my computer, and I could log in to the application! Hopefully this isn’t temporary.

Hey everyone,

Thank you all for updating this thread with your findings while troubleshooting this error and the Cylance software. Since this is a third-party software, we can’t assist with troubleshooting the actual software or settings, but typically updating the software will provide it with a fresh list of files to allow/block. In the event that it doesn’t, creating an exception for the Battle.net and game folders can be used as a workaround.

But if that doesn’t work either, then you will need to contact Cylance’s Support for assistance configuring the software to run alongside the Battle.net Desktop App.

Some additional information on troubleshooting security applications can be read here.

2 Likes

this error that I’m receiving may be the tipping point for me with this game, GGs yall got my money this time, but I’m gone. Not here to resolve this issue and then play your game.

Hello this is Gulshan Negi
A missing DLL error occurs when a program or application tries to access a DLL file that is not present on the system. DLL files contain code and resources that are shared by multiple programs, and a missing DLL error can prevent a program from running properly.
Well, to fix this problem you need to reinstall the program that is giving the missing DLL error and may replace the missing DLL file.
Hope it will help you.
Thanks

I have the same thing happen to both of my windows 10 computers. the new update has killed the battlenet launcher. Time for a new update to correct the issue

Your fix doesn’t work, tried it on both machines

Struggling with the same. Cylance PROTECT is uninstalled, libcef.dll unquarantined, but still no joy on a version of libcef.dll that Windows 10 recognizes as valid. I’ve uninstalled a number of other applications that also had libcef.dll under the desperate attempt to get rid of hypothetical software conflicts (although I believe those should be able to coexist as I would expect only the respective apps to load their own particular version of libcef.dll).

I have also followed the Microsoft instructions for System File Checker in case the error instructions weren’t referring to the right DLL. I did find corrupted protected files, but that didn’t change anything about the Battle.net installer behavior.

Not a great fix, but with that blue answer I decided to uninstall cylance (was going to manage it, but apparently my sub expired a couple of weeks ago, so it was time to do something). I then uninstalled/deleted battle.net and reinstalled it, then switched to a different AV vendor.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.