Military Service in South Korea

I’m not sure where to really go with this thread but the core of the issue is that the military has stationed me in South Korea and I most likely will be here for several years. I have played Blizzard games for almost my entire life from Starcraft to World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Hearthstone, etc. etc.

It is extremely upsetting that now I am in South Korea I am completely unable to play on my account anymore because I cannot verify SMS on my old phone number. So one would think well just change it to your new number. Unfortunately, my new phone number is South Korean and my account is not able to be moved to this region.

I’m just trying to wrap my head around the fact that I cannot use my account to play on NA servers, nor will Blizzard transfer my account to Korea, so basically because the military has moved me to Korea I am being told sorry try again in a few years…

I don’t work for Blizzard, and don’t live in Korea, but I think I can give some insight.

Korea has specific govt requirements for ID when creating an account. Accounts for other regions can not be converted over, even if someone did have the proper ID to add.

Further, Blizzard has set it up now so that your phone number on the account needs to match the address (country) on the account. So a US account would need a US phone number.

Normally that is not that big of an issue. CS can work with players to change the country if you have the right documentation. The exception is Korea - because of the govt ID requirements when creating it they can’t switch you to that Region.

For students, military, or temporary workers in South Korea that is a bit of an issue. It is not something CS can change or navigate around. It is hard coded into the system.

2 Likes