Load of Persistent Issues with BattleNet/WoW


Okay, so… This is probably gonna come across as scattershot and a bit rambly, but bear with me. Also not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, so feel free to point that out if it’s not.

I recently came back to the game (WoW) after having to quit around the launch of BfA, and back when I played in Legion I had a persistent issue with the BattleNet launcher where it would forget my login details (which I had it set to remember), and where I installed the game every. single. time. I launched it. After forcing it to reconnect to my Google account and having to manually relocate the game every time I wanted to play, it would take me 5-10 minutes on average before I even managed to even get into the game. Needless to say, this was incredibly frustrated. I’d searched around on the Web and on the forums here for a solution, and tried everything I came across and nothing worked. Eventually, the problem just went away on its own, and so I breathed a sigh of relief and went about my merry way.

Now, back to the present day: I’ve just resubbed about two weeks ago, and for the first week and a half, I had absolutely no problems, and then bam: the same issue rears its head again. Que the usual Google Fu and forum perusing, etc.—trying the same solutions I’d tried before, trying things I may not have tried… Same problem: nothing has helped.

Now, as frustrating as this is, I can almost bear it were it not for what happened today. I haven’t changed anything since playing yesterday or the day before that or the day before that, and now all of a sudden when I login (after battling through the usual reconnection of my Google account, relogging into the launcher, relocating the WoW directory, etc.), I find out that my interface is entirely reset to default, my sound and graphic settings have been reset to the default, and most importantly: all my addons have been reset default, including my TotalRoleplay addon—which has caused all of the profiles I’ve spent ages on for my roleplay characters and their associated pets/mounts to be completely obliterated into nonexistence.

Forgive me if this comes across as vitriolic, but I am absolutely fed-up. I pay with hard-earned money to play this game, and the thing I enjoy most that causes me to keep coming back is roleplay, and now I’m going to have to spend hours—if not days—recreating all of my beloved characters from scratch all because of some issue that I shouldn’t even be having in the first place that seems to exist exclusively on behalf of this launcher. And I’m not the only one I even personally know with this issue—another close personal friend of mine suffers through the same thing every day they go to play as well, and all of their TotalRoleplay profiles were recently entirely scrubbed in the same manner as mine.

Please, I’m at my wit’s end; someone please help me. If I can’t get this figured out, I’ll be forced to quit playing WoW because the frustration to do something that’s supposed to be the thing I go to to destress will be too much to deal with.

(And if there’s anything I can do to get my characters’ profiles back without having to recreate them from scratch, please let me know!)

Thank you so much in advance.


Let me start by saying I’m sorry to hear you lost all your addon configurations, I feel your pain.

I’ve been playing wow for over 10 years, a little less in the past 2 years, but I love the game and having a nice set of addons is really part of the experience. That said, I never had any kind of issues similar to what you are describing here.

Addon configuration resides in folders named SavedVariables inside the WTF directory. I never saw Blizzard installer messing with custom variables before, even if you uninstall a game those files remain on the disk.

Is there any chance your directory installation is conflicting with other software or even your hard drive is failing ? The fact bnet is forgetting your account sounds like something is deleting files in your system. Some softwares advised as cleaners might delete wrong files in %appdata% directory and lead to similar issues.

If you have any backup from your installation, you might be able to salvage some addon configs.
Unfortunately this is the best I can try to help with the current information. Good luck.


I have somewhat of a similar issue, actually.
It seems the battlenet client from time to time “forgets” the placement of some of my games and I have to rescan for them. Then they all need to be updated and then some of them will give “an unexpected error” forcing me to close down and restart the client after a delay. There is no pattern of recognition to when it decides to do this act of forgetting my games, but it just happens from time to time.