Last update completely breaks wine compatibility

I’m just here to add my voice to the issue as well. Blizzard, given the success of the Steam Deck and the continued efforts of the Linux community to ensure the Windows ecosystem of games can run without Microsoft, it would be in your best interest to fix this issue. If I cannot play Overwatch on my Linux machine I may move on to other games that work perfectly well such as Apex Legends or Splitgate, among others. This is very concerning given the launch of Overwatch 2 on the horizon. I don’t even believe the community is asking for dedicated support of the Linux platform. But perhaps Blizzard can at least do regression testing before breaking the launcher?

4 Likes

I know Blizzard does not officially support other platforms than Windows (do the even support Mac?) but as you can see, we have many people using those other platforms. In times of the Steamdeck and the decrease of people willing to support the direction Windows is heading you should really consider at least try to not break the previous compatiblity with WINE. We don’t even try to convince anyone in supporting other platforms, just don’t break things which are already working!

There are many “workarounds” out there. Some of them break other functionalities, some do work “kind of”, others are to complex for many people I guess.

I really think just yelling at Blizzard is not the way to go, but for many folks out there it’s the easiest. I really don’t think that Blizzard did this intentionally or the developer who just implemented a feature request from it’s PM had any idea his change will have this massive effect.

What I think would be nice is just an answer from one of the officials. Just a “we have noticed the problem and are working on a solution” (or have they already?).

I think Linux (yeye GNU/LINUX) will getting much more attention in the following years and it would be nice if Blizzard just jumps on the wagon of “early recognizers” :wink:

2 Likes

+1 Linux user over here.

1 Like

+1 here with a Steam Deck and trying to run Diablo. Can’t even install launcher…RIP

2 Likes

Do they even read the forums? Are any devs around here?

Are they even aware that Steam Deck is a thing?

+200000000000000000000000000000000 Linux user over here.

1 Like

+1 New Steam deck owner. Was just about to resubscribe to play vanilla just to notice that cannot install WoW to my brand new Steam Deck.

3 Likes

Why are Linux users discriminated against by Blizzard? “Google Translate” ;]

Not if they see “linux” or “steam deck” no.

We have all posted some workarounds in this thread. Please try and use one of those. Blizzard won’t actively fix this issue, new wine support will need to be developed.

Hello, there is surely a case for discrimination. We are a community ostracized, diminished, excluded and set aside by everyone! it’s time we acted with all these gaming giants who despise us :frowning:

Definitely no case :joy: sorry

Any other SC2 players affected? Should start a Linux clan, at least when Blizzard break Wine support we all suffer together and not let our Windows mates down :joy:

2 Likes

If you have a previously working Bnet launcher, you can delete the appdata directory for battle.net in your prefix and reload the launcher. Manually locate your game directory, and turn off auto updates… This will now update games correctly, BUT it can and will sometimes lock in a “reclaiming space” loop and you can restart battle.net.

Likely this is a i/o error being added in on top of the agent.8012 crashes

unbelievable how long this had gone on for…

2 Likes

My current workaround is to replace the BNet agent with version 7984, lock the folder down with chattr, and then create separate Lutris entries for BNet and the WoW game .exe file. I can run the BNet launcher to push updates using Wine 5.6 which I downloaded a Lutris runner for from the following link. I then close BNet and open the WoW game .exe file from my separate Lutris entry using the latest version of Wine. Of course this route could easily stop working soon. I will also attempt to update through a shared folder in Windows virtual machine if it comes to that next.

This problem really needs to be fixed though.

I will also attempt to update through a shared folder in Windows virtual machine if it comes to that next.

Got some bad news for you; most of the folder sharing methods are broken with newer versions of windows, and blizzard has disabled installations on network locations: imgur[.]com/d2ccNMV

I just spent the last 2 hours trying the same thing.

I highly recommend WinSCP to transfer files to and from your steam deck

1 Like

This really shows you that this forum is useless. Blizzard does not read it nor care about us users. Sad.

1 Like

isnt lutris designed to circumvent these issues? with all the permission/updating/custom entries needed to get this to work would hope Lutris will update their install script

I just get a ‘Battle.net Update Agent went to sleep…attmepting to wake up blah blah…’

whole thing is frustrating