Infinite loop of scan and repair for COD: Vanguard (...BB8)

Mac problem solved!

After a month absent from playing World of Warcraft (busy month), Battle.net needed to be updated but it was failing early on with a BLZBNTAGT00000BB8 error. There was initially no indication what was going wrong except an error that flashed by on the screen mentioning “CDN configuration file”. Selecting “Scan and Repair” next to the “Update” button in Battle.net, got most of the way through but jumped to the same CDN error before it got to 100%.

Mac SOLUTION:
I logged into a new admin user. Was able to get the Battle.net app to update and present a “Play” button. Hitting that button started “World of Warcraft” application but presented a small (but scrollable) error dialog (just an OK button) before it could display a play screen. The error dialog was much more useful, containing lines like…

[20211229T22:25:01] {26296} INF: Initialization step - FETCHING_CDN_CONFIG
[20211229T22:25:01] {26296} ERR: failed to open file ‘…/Data/config/45/f7/45f721587ad00985a3ecc8e917d8392f’ in QA_READ_DATA query: Permission denied [13]

I switched back to my normal user and got just as far but no further.

Using the information in the error dialog box, I found the imbedded Data/config directory imbedded in the game hierarchy (World of Warcraft/Data/config), I noticed the “config/45” had “drw-rw-rw-” permissions (displayed from a Terminal, using “ls -l”). This and another dozen folders in “config” were similarly permissioned, “drwxrwxrwx” was expected. The terminal command (once a cd to the Data directory was performed):

sudo chmod 777 config/*

fixed the problem completely (sudo, required the admin password).

I’ve no idea when the directory permission flags were messed up (or were ever correct) but the terminal command allowed the “Play” button in “World of Warcraft” to progress all the way to a normal game start.

Having this issue now…

The post you are replying to was due to a specific issue that was known at the time but has since been addressed.

The BB8 error itself however is a generic Blizzard app error and simply means the app cannot complete a task it is trying to perform and doesn’t know why. It is unlikely the cause of the error for you is the same as it was for the previous players as that was a known issue that was addressed a few weeks ago.

That said, most causes for this sort of error come down to conflicts with the app from other software/security measures on the system, network issues connecting to our patch services or corruption with the Blizzard app and its support data.

The following steps should help:

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

From here we need to manually clear the Battlenet Desktop Application and all supporting data from the system. This will not remove existing game clients.

1. Open file explorer/file manager (Right Click Windows Start)
  2. Navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
  3. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
  4. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  6. Empty the recycle bin.
  7. Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.

Create a new administrator account: Creating a New Administrator Account - Blizzard Support

Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile and try the app/client.

From there if you are still getting the BB8 error specifically, I recommend reaching out to our Technical Support via ticket:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/1202/ticket

Limitations with Blizzard Support for Activision titles.
In regards to Call of Duty Titles, we only handle the distribution of the game client for Activision. We will assist with anything related to the desktop application and anything with the game client that involves purchasing, activating, downloading/installing and launching. Anything that occurs after you can press the play button is going to be addressed the Activision support portal: Support Options | Activision Support

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.