How To Delete Account

What nonsense is this that an ID is needed to delete my account? I didn’t need an ID to create my account. I didn’t need an ID when Blizzard happily took my money for years, and now that I want nothing to do with modern Blizzard, I’m told I have to upload my government ID to have my account deleted. That’s absurd. That isn’t happening. So how can I delete my account?

ID is required by Blizzard for a variety of Account services that require proof that you are the registered account holder. That may include regaining access to a hacked account, changing the email when you don’t have access to the old one, removing SMS protect, removing an Authenticator, putting the account in the name of a now adult child (parent and now adult child both provide ID), etc. Other documents can be required too for some services such as name changes that are based on marriage or court issues name change.

In order to remove a Battlenet account, and all the paid for games, services, and account progress (game progress), Blizzard requires that you prove you are the registered account holder. Removing an account is permanent and can not be undone.

This article covers how to get a Bnet account deleted.

If you have contacted them and they require ID then you can use one of the methods in the following article

Failure to meet the requirements means they will not remove the account. The requirement to prove you are the account holder is to prevent malicious parties (hackers, family, friends, housemates, ex - significant others) who have figured out an email/password from deleting your paid for games and progress.

I’m aware of these articles and the stated reason for the ID requirement. I’m telling you that’s nonsense. Blizzard has been more than happy to do business with me without such verification. So what do I have to do to get my account removed under the same rules?

Currently the means to delete an account is via those articles and the webform.

The only other option that I know of for Information is via the info at the end of the Privacy Policy which has a spot for questions. They may allow you to do it the old way which was to send notarized documentation requesting the deletion and proving your identity as account holder.

16. What if you have a question or complaint?

If you have questions or wish to file a complaint, please e-mail us at DPO@blizzard.com or send a letter addressed to Blizzard Entertainment, One Blizzard Way, Irvine, CA 92618-3616, Attention: Data Protection Officer.

As mentioned, Blizzard Entertainment is a licensee of ESRB’s Privacy Certified Program. If you believe that we have not responded to your inquiry or your inquiry has not been satisfactorily addressed, please contact ESRB Privacy Certified at Contact ESRB Privacy Certified for feedback or questions., email privacy@esrb.org, attention: Vice President.

This Privacy Policy was last updated on October 22, 2020

If you wish

That is not exactly true. Blizzard has required ID to delete a Bnet account since the beginning and have required proof of identity for major account changes too - I listed many examples above. YOU just never ran into a situation where it was required for you.

Lies, Lies and more lies. If you changed your name IRL that gives you zero options to deöete your account as there is no proof anyway you are the account holder.

I never signe up with any information thats on my ID so what will that information provide you?
You also deleted many accounts without the verifications but some you wont?

GDPR says hello

We are required to use our legal names when creating the account. All legal rights are based on your legal name. If you have a legal name change, you can submit the paperwork to Blizzard and they will change the name on the account - but they don’t do that without proof.

Once that legal name change is accomplished you can submit current ID to have the Bnet account deleted.

If you failed to register the account in your legal name, and can’t provide proof of name change to match current ID, then you are not the registered account holder. Failure to follow the account setup contract agreement can result in unpleasant things like this.

No they don’t. Prior to the current proof of ID, you had to MAIL documentation to them to get an account deleted permanently and it was at least a 30 day process. Blizzard will not delete accounts without proof the registered account holder is the one asking.

Blizzard refusing to delete an account and remove all paid content without PROOF, is a good thing for player security.