Hangs at "Checking Versions" US West

/bandwagon

Reinstalled Diablo 2 after many years to jump on the hype train. Same issue exactly. US West.

2 Likes

Blizzard aware of this issues and planning to fix it? It’s already been 3~4 days.

It’s been happening since yesterday. it stucks at connecting to the fastest server or checking versions and wont go through.

Sometimes you can connect in (extremely rare) but once you logs off from your account it happens again. and it seems like its only happening when i connect to us west realm. east,asia,europe seems fine. I’ve lost my items thanks to this.

Please fix it. Seems like you guys dont give a f about it.

1 Like

I have run into the same problem, with possibly the same process at fault. I have been playing LOD on this computer for years, with only “normal” issues. Recently applied my old, 2nd D2 license to my daughter’s PC, then bought a gift LOD to install to it as well. Worked fine for ~5 days. Now I get “checking version” incessantly. Sometimes if I cancel/retry (1 or many) it works, other times not. Seems specific to USWest, as I can log in to USEast pretty quickly and consistently.

1 Like

Unable to get past “Checking Versions” on US West.

As I attempt to log in after the game loads, I choose Battle.net US West, and it goes through two screens, the second of which is “checking versions” and it just goes and goes and goes. (Tried in East, no problem, but none of my accounts are on East). Started D II/LoD again abotu a month ago, no problems once we got the CD keys dug out of the box in the clost.

And now, I can’t get on and play the characters I made as I get myself ready for D II Resurrected.

How does one get past that screen? (Yes I have rebooted multiple times, turned wi fi off then on) … and It Does Not Happen On East.

What’s the trick to getting past that?

Hey all,

For those that are getting stuck at Checking Versions on US West, we’ve seen increased reports of this lately but it seems to be inconsistent.

If it doesn’t work on the first try, does trying a couple of times allow you to log in eventually? From what we can see there are players actively logged in and playing on US West, so it’s not affecting everyone.

1 Like

Hey Jambrix,

Good to see you. Yes, I can log in with a few tries every time. I just click cancel on ‘fastest server’ and then try again, it goes to ‘checking versions’. I cancel that too.

Game screen freezes for 12 seconds and then goes back to log in menu. I try again and it will eventually go right through to my account sign in.

It takes about 2-5 tries. The key is to ‘cancel’ quickly and keep trying.

Happening to me too, almost exactly like Lionheart, except I haven’t been able to log in yet.

edit: took me about 30 tries but I’m in now… should I never log out?

I am pretty sure its happening to everyone. You have to cancel 3~5 times sometimes even more when it stucks at the connecting to the fastest server or at the checking versions until it goes through.

Yes you can still log in but you have to do this process everytime, you switch your account one to another.

and Everytime you press the cancel button Diablo 2 screen froze for like 7~10 seconds as well.

Just wanted to note: It appears to be working for me on the very first try now. This has been fairly consistent for the last hour with only an occasional hiccup.

Jumping on the bandwagon… having the same issue. Works after cancelling multiple times but all in all could be anywhere between 2-8 cancel attempts. Is it possibly related to the amount of additional players logging in for the technical alpha of resurrected?

I have the same problem on EU.

I have been unable to login since D2R release

As im typing this I am now on attempt 17 of pressing cancel then login and still no go. This issues seems to have lined up nicely with the release of D2R technical go live :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah I also get hung up on the checking versions, but when I eventually get through I get disconnected form battle.net. I was able to play a few times in a day or two while struggling with the checking versions thing. I’ve read that if you basically join too many games in a row that it’ll give you a ban which can last somewhere between 48 hours or two weeks. I’m honestly probably gonna just download project diablo 2 and play that instead save myself some grief.

Same thing has been happening to me. I uninstalled and then reinstalled last night and now that I finally get past the checking versions screen I receive the “Downloading Patch Screen” which never goes past 0% and then i get dc’d

1 Like

One thing I saw (a few days ago) was not a surprise: When I tried to log onto another realm, I got an update to D2/LOD. No idea what the update was about, but it was NOT an update from US West. See if you can get onto any other realm and if you get an update when you do get there.

Good Idea, sadly it had the same result as US West. 0% download and then D/C

I did a fresh install of d2 thinking that would be a fix. Now im stuck on the downloading patch screen and then get dc. Is there another way of updating manually?

Odd. I was able to easily get onto Europe and Asia and US East. If you can get onto any of them, you should get any update available on that realm (if one is needed).

EDIT: 4/15/21

Since the time I wrote this…the patch page has been completely removed.

Try this new link instead…

Unable to Install or Patch Diablo II (2000) - Blizzard Support

ORIGINAL POSTING:

The patch doesn’t appear to be here anymore…but here’s the link. It says…

The installer will install version 1.14b. Once installed, please launch the game and log in to Battle.net. This will prompt you to patch to the latest version 1.14d.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7836

EDIT: From that patch page, I downloaded D2/LOD and did a fresh install on another computer here and it would not update, but it did get to 99 percent a couple of times before disconnecting.

Then, I saw the BNUpdate file in the Diablo 2 folder and ran it. It did successfully update from that file and the v 1.14b is now v1.14d.

But, the problem of logging onto Bnet persists. It takes a few tries but eventually logs on.