Gifs not showing image

Sorry for pushing that years old thread, but i got excatly the same problem.
Since the beginning of Battle.net Client i was never able to see gifs, just getting links i have to click on.
The weird thing is, i also dont have the mentioned option in the settings menu, while friends tell me the option exists on their client?
Already tryed reinstalling the client or using the beta one, still the same problem.

Here is a screenshot from that option menu…
https :// drive.google. com /file/d/1adMpxaddwFfRy6DxD197YOOkqTjN2uOn/view?usp=drive_link

I have moved your post to its own thread as the post you were replying to was 3 years old and even if you are experiencing the same symptoms, the information in that thread is likely no longer applicable given the amount of changes made to the app in those three years.

As for the issue, I just tested a couple of accounts/client’s myself and it appears to be working normally. It could be a an issue with the local install or something on the system interfering. The app does use a browser so if there is some sort of ad block or other restriction with your default browser, that could contribute to the images not actually being displayed.

(Side note, I could not access that link you provided) it may not be a properly formatted shared link.)

First I would recommend temporarily disabling any sort of ad block in your default browser and then retest.

Then try toggling the show images option under settings off and back on.

From there you can try resetting all friend and chat settings to default.

Finally you can also try completely removing and reinstalling the desktop application as follows:

1. Open file explorer/file manager (Right Click Windows Start)
  2. Navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
  3. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
  4. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  6. Empty the recycle bin.
  7. Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.

If that doesn’t do the trick, then I recommend reporting the issue in the bug report forum. It is possible there is a bug and it either isn’t impacting many folks or because its relatively minor is simply not being reported in volume.

It worked fine for me but here’s the screenshot they posted…

Compare that against my screenshot of the same dialog…

You’ll notice that I have a tickbox available which the OP does not, i.e.

[ x ] Display images and videos when posted as links to chat

I don’t think this is going to be an ad-block issue, as the Battlenet Launcher is missing the option to display the stuff that the ad-blocker would suppress. Could the issue be that the launcher isn’t recognising the OP’s default browser?

Azreal, what’s your default browser / version? If you have multiple browsers installed (e.g. Chrome and Edge) try changing which is the default and see if the option becomes available with one of them…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.