Game and macOS UI slow while playing games in Big Sur

Hello,

Since updating to the macOS 11.0, Big Sur (11.1, 11.2 versions effected too). I have noticed that any game I play, whether it be World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Diablo III, are all very slow. No matter what I change my resolution settings too, or how low I change the graphic settings, the games FPS will improve, but then, will go down randomly (60 FPS normally, then down to 27 for fighting something in Northern Stranglethorn).

Not just this, however, I notice the entire system UI slows down. I checked activity monitor, and memory pressure isn’t high, with 6 GB left of RAM, and CPU usage is normal. Anyone else have these issues on Big Sur? Any comment would be appreciate.

I would also like to note that on macOS Catalina, I did not have these issues whatsoever.

Howdy BioPhilia,
I do not have any experience with WOW, but I am playing Diablo 3 on Big Sur running on a 2019 16" MacBook Pro with an 8 GB 5500M GPU. So I know I have plenty of performance available for this game. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that this is caused by Apple deprecating OpenGL in the latest version of MacOS (or is it macOS?). Something that I have found that helps in Diablo 3 (doesn’t solve), is to run the game in full-screen windowed, and to turn off the frame rate limiter in Diablo 3 settings. This seems to help. Good luck!

Rich S.

1 Like

We have two MBP’s one has the I7 and an AMD Radeon Pro 5300M and the other with an I9 and an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M.

The 5300M model gets hit with this more frequently than the 5500M. But there is no other obvious consistency to why this happens. Given the seemingly random times that this slow down occurs I suspect there might be an issue with some other background process that might be causing it. Could be some type of caching from Time Machine, or it could be trolling down due to heat, just not sure. During the slowdown, we’re getting between 1 and 7 fps on either laptop. Normally we’re easily pulling 25-30 fps at normal resolution.