Fetching CDN Configuration

I’ve tried for 2 days to get past the “Fetching CDN Configuration” of the new update. Every time it gets to this Fetching CDN Configuration, it stops progressing and stays on Fetching CDn configuration… Is there anyway to fix this?

Hey there! The update getting stuck at “Fetching CDN Configuration” can have a few causes ranging from corrupted local files to a network-related problem. Try the following to narrow this down further:

1. Try a DNS Flush to clear out any corrupted or stagnate data.
  2. Fully update or temporarily uninstall security programs which may be interfering with your connection to the server(s). More information on troubleshooting security applications here, if curious.
  3. Test an alternate network such as a mobile hotspot to determine whether the problem is isolated to your current network.

If you’re still unable to proceed with the download, please run a WinMTR network test so that we can further investigate the problem. Here are the instructions:

1. Download the tool from this page
  2. In the “Host” field, enter “us.patch.battle.net” (without quotes).
  3. Start the test and launch the Battle.net Desktop App. Ensure the “Fetching CDN Configuration” loop occurs while the winMTR tool is running.
  4. After recording data for about 5 minutes, click “export text” and save the winMTR file in an easy to find location.
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the winMTR. It’ll look like this:
WinMTR goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

I have a confirmed solution if none of the standard troubleshooting works.
If you end up in the same boat as me, and run through every step (Delete cache, Flush DNS, disk scan/repair, etc.), it is almost for sure happening at a ISP level, and there’s a right way to ask the bozos at the call center to fix it.

Most ISPs use some kind of “Walled Garden” when there is a problem with your account such as the bill being past due. This was my situation. however, logging in and paying the bill did not fix it immediately. All my other services worked, they confirmed the bill showed processed, then the technical team told me “nothing is wrong, sorry”.

well typically with the walled garden or similar feature at the ISP level, they are attempting to redirect you to their site to handle the issue. I work for a ISP and that’s exactly how we do it (though my home ISP is a different provider). Essentially, what was happening is until you “acknowledge” their alert to some degree, there will still be some services blocked. My ISP in particular, even embeds a message directly in the blizzard client, which is where I first saw the notification. Though after paying, this notification would not actually go away.

Turns out, it was just not automatically redirecting me to the page where I could acknowledge that I had seen their “alert” that my bill was past due. Even though I already had it paid and good to go, until I acknowledged that and hit “continue”, it would not allow me to update. Even after uninstalling blizzard, it wouldn’t actually install blizzard again until after the stupid button on their landing page was clicked.

So, if you run into this, I would ask your ISP for the URL to acknowledge that you have seen the alert on your account, so you can hit their “acknowledgement/continue” button. If you have Century Link like I do, you might get lucky enough to get Blizzard’s error message to pop up, and that’s the link I could finally click to get to their landing page. I imagine asking a rep at your ISP to direct you to the appropriate URL would probably work as well.

This will obviously vary between ISPs. I’m also sure I could’ve waited a few days for my payment to fully register, but who in the world wants to wait to play their game, especially when you know your account is current. Hopefully this helps a bit as a last resort, assuming your ISP (like most ISPs) use some kind of walled garden to block certain services.