Diablo IV on Mac - No GPU found after patch 1.3.4

Diablo IV was working great on MacOS using D3DMetal acceleration.

After patch 1.3.4 it is not longer working with the following message:

“No GPUs found! A GPU is required to play Diablo IV. This might occur if you are currently installing GPU drivers.”

This issue is affecting all MacOS users

4 Likes

I am sorry, but Diablo IV was never released on Mac and is not supported on Mac by Blizzard. You may be able to get it to work on unsupported operating systems or video cards, but Blizzard won’t assist in making that happen.

It requires Windows 10 64bit or higher to play.

Minimum Requirements

• Processor: Intel® Core i5-2500K or AMD™ FX-8350
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 or AMD Radeon™ R9 280 or Intel® Arc™ A380
  • DirectX®: Version 12
  • Storage: SSD with 90 GB available space
  • Internet: Broadband Connection
  • 1080p native resolution / 720p render resolution, low graphics settings, 30fps

** Diablo IV will attempt to run on hardware below minimum specifications, including HDDs, dual-core CPUs, and Integrated GPUs. However, the game experience may be significantly diminished

Yes, MissCheetah, we all know that. We love this game, we paid for this game, and we’re jumping through hoops to play this game. And up until this last release, we were able to play this game.

Something changed, and we’d love it if they could change it back.

2 Likes

We are probably not going to get the response we wanted from Blizzard directly; although, I hope they know how powerful Silicon Mac’s are now. Diablo IV ran fantastic on my M3 Max / 36GB RAM on highest settings when I tested it on my new MacBook Pro. (I also have an Alienware x15 [RTX 3070] and Steam Deck for the games that just won’t run, but the MBP is my daily driver now.)

There are other highly anticipated aRPGs on the horizon with dedicated Mac support on the other hand. I imagine the Mac crowd may end up switching to those instead. Still surprised at how many games in my Steam library play well through CrossOver/GPTK (for those that don’t know, it’s essentially Proton but for Mac.)

1 Like

Is there a large mac community playing D4? Neat to hear but I fear this would be the accepted risk of doing so?

(Impacted user here as well). Obviously no one expects Blizzard to officially support a solution they haven’t stated they officially support. But that doesn’t mean they won’t make efforts to avoid breaking an unsupported solution or perhaps even take steps to resolve having broken one.

But to even make a decision one way or another they need to know about the impacted users in the first place. So here’s hoping they may be able to take some action to resolve.

1 Like

I don’t have a perfect work around right now.
But I still manage to launch the game With DXVK.
Launch once and then quite Diablo 4, without quiting battle.net.
Switch to D3DMetal.
Launch the game.

However, the fps is still quite low, but it is better than DXVK.

I personally don’t think there is much risk because this would also alienate their Steam Deck user base as well, since it is using a similar translation layer technology (both are using Wine) to play Windows games on a non-supported OS. Currently Diablo IV has a “Verified” Steam Deck Compatibility on Steam.

1 Like

I want to know what updates Blizzard has made before 1.3.4. Before, I could run D4 perfectly on my Mac using Whisky, and I invested a lot of time playing it. Does Blizzard not care about our feelings? Can we have a Mac version of D4? We didn’t ask for it, but now that we had a workaround to run D4, you’re blocking it. This is outrageous, and I’m very angry.

Friends, does anyone know how to solve the ‘no GPUs found’ error when running D4 with Whisky 2.2.3?

1 Like

I don’t think they intentionally blocked anything. There was most likely a change they made regarding GPU’s and it just hasn’t been updated in our version of Wine or GPTK, which will require contributors to those to push a fix. Diablo IV is fairly popular on Mac as I think it’s always listed at the top of CrossOver’s compatibility database (even though it isn’t officially supported by Blizzard - but neither is SteamOS/Linux and when D4 breaks on it, it requires updates to Proton either officially (Valve) or unofficially by a fork like GloriousEggroll.)

i had this pop up as well. i had just updated xcode so i thought maybe new xcode broke the apple compatibility layer for the game.

I dont understand the vitriol for mac gamers who have found da way to play d4 on a mac. blizzard should be happy about this. they still pay for the game and buy crap on battle.net…all this and Blizzard didnt have to lift a finger on an inhouse development team to write, test and release code for the MAC. they got a magic wand that apple waived with compa layer which gave Blizzard an entirely new platform to make money on. Something they sorely need in the current zone of poor planning and poorly reviewed games and releases.

So, again, why the hate? Our money is just as green as any PC… I dont expect them to jump through hoops, but a release note that says what they might have changed in the GPU interaction would help whisky, crossover and apple game compatibility layer devs figure how to fix it.

Lets hope it happens soon.

1 Like

I’m with you - would have been nice if they indicated what and how it changed for us non-supported, but I feel that would be a slippery slope and require them to admit they are supporting other platforms.

As it is. they are turning a blind eye to ‘other’ ways of getting it to run, without endorsing it and for them, it’s a clean distinction.

Here’s to a fix sorted out soon!

I also had this problem. I am very sad that I can no longer play Diablo 4 on mac.

1 Like

Yes, MissCheetah, we all know that. We love this game, we paid for this game, and we’re jumping through hoops to play this game. And up until this last release, we were able to play this game.

We are not asking for dedicated support for Mac. This game was working just fine and the only problem I think is verification process. simple command line switch to suppress No GPU found message might be enough to solve this issue.

1 Like

Hey folks,

Just to manage expectations, what’s being described here is not a bug. Diablo 4 is not supported on Mac. Additionally, using emulation to play D4 on an unsupported platform is also not supported.

It’s not a matter of Bliz not caring, or blocking players, or “hate” or “vitriol”. It’s simply not supported, thus a “use at your own risk” scenario.

Meaning, how any changes/updates will affect unsupported methods of play is simply not a concern. Likewise, if an update breaks an unsupported method, it’s not going to be investigated. And asking for reversions would be in vain. Unfortunately, it’s just what “unsupported” means.

The only recourse in situations like this is to contact the emulation developers and inform them about the issue. It might be something they can remedy within their own code.

@Leviathan just to manage expectations - are you speaking formally for Blizzard or are you a community member offering an (informed via experience) opinion that’s purely your own?

The latter.

All MVPs are community members who Bliz vets as knowledgeable in different aspects such as gameplay, policies, procedures, etc.

That, said, in the situation above, supported/unsupported isn’t only a Bliz thing, it’s something found across many industries.

FWIW this is fixed in the latest CrossOver 24.0.1 patch

2 Likes