Diablo II Unable to check version on Windows XP VirtualBox

I am trying to rebuild my retro gaming pc on a virtualbox with my newer windows 10 machine as host. I had d2 installed and working great on an old pc with windows xp installed. Upon installing everything on this new VM (oracle VM virtualbox) every time I try playing battle.net I cant get past the checking versions. I have researched and tried every single solution I have ran across. Those include:
-deleting HKEY_USER… diablo II
-reinstalling d2 as well as the VM and windows XP (attempted 32 and 64 bit versions)
-I have installed SP2 on the 64 bit version and had sp3 on the 32 bit version
-I always run in windowed mode with every compatibility mode under the sun
-I do not have any anti virus software installed as these have all been fresh builds of the VM
-I have tried enabling 3d acceleration. didnt seem to make any difference.
-I have also attempted on virtualbox v 5.2 and 6.1 (latest)

I have probably tried other solutions as well, but they have all lead to the same outcome. Game installs just fine and single player works great. But battle.net doesn’t want to check my version… Im at a loss. I will try anything you suggest. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as D2 needs to be included in my retro pc set up.

You cant play Diablo II online on WIndows xp anymore , there have been several threads from the admins !
Here is one of the Topics!

2 Likes

Battle.net works great on my other machine running xp. (I just double checked to be sure). So thats not entirely true.