Diablo II LOD won't install

I have downloaded the game multiple times from different locations (going through the help through support). I can enter my product key fine, it asks for the Diablo II play disc, which I do have, when I put it in, I get the following error when trying to start to play the game.

The file “d2music.mpq” in archive “” could not be opened, because an error 2 occurred. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (MPQFile::OpenFromArchive)

I have searched the forums for this error, and haven’t seen it, so help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Hey KentAzori,

If you downloaded Diablo 2 from the Battlenet site, it shouldn’t be asking for the game disks.

When you say product key, do you mean the CD key on the CD case, or the linked license key stored in your Battlenet account?

If it is the former, you need to link the old CD key to your Battlenet account. Doing so will create a new 26 digit key that is permanently stored and reusable everytime you want to install. You can do that here. Enter the CD keys for both D2 and LoD one at a time into the “Redeem a Code” field.

Then on the left, navigate to “Games and Subscriptions” and scroll to “Classic Games”. There you’ll see the new keys that are needed when installing.

From there, grab a copy of the downloader from the official page and give the install another try.

Okay because I originally had Diablo II on my computer from the disks, so I completely uninstalled the game, and reinstalled it and it works, except now it says I need a patch. I saw some posts on that so I’ll try those fixes first and see what happens.

Here’s an article that talks about the patching issues in D2.