Diablo 1 fails to start with DirectX error

Just used “reduced color mode” in compatibility tab for *.exe (even 16-bit & without “run in comp mode”). Works fine for me.
But:

• sometimes see flickering in menus;
  • alt+tab still crashes.

UPDATE: still sometimes crashes.

You can try running the game with DevilutionX, it solves a lot of stability issues with the game.

Thx a lot, bro! Now it worked! =)

1 Like

Any updates will come to this game? I just got it and I can’t create a game lobby for some reason but im in the chat channel. Is this an error? how do i create a battle.net multiplayer public game?

Hey OO7,

It sounds like you need to forward some of your router ports. See this article for details.

(The article is for Warcraft 2, but it’s the process for Diablo 1.)

getting the same error… nothing works… looks like i will go back to playing diablo 1 via GOG instead… at least that works :slight_smile:

um no… win10 works just fine, for the most part, there is really no need to go to win 11…

Thank you Rizervus. This post solved my problem. I have a new PC with Win 11 which I am currently setting up. Starting to add games. I have the original CD’s for Diablo I and II, but decided to install from Battle.net and ran into this problem. I was in a research phase when I came across this post and mentally kicked my self - “compatibility mode! why did I not think of that?”. Looking in my installation folder there are 2 exe’s of interest: diablo.exe and DiabloLauncher.exe. I set DiabloLauncher.exe to Win 7 compatibility tried it and the game launched. Since the shortcuts all seemed to point to diablo.exe, I checked its properties and found something, not me, had set it to Win XP SP2. Either exe will start the game. I don’t know what purpose the launcher servers.

Similar problem as OP.

Windows 11.

Diablo would NOT launch from the battle.net created shortcut.

However, for me, Diablo would still NOT launch directly from the diablo.exe file. Nor could I use the Blizzard included launcher (which looks suspiciously like the GOG Diablo launcher with one less option).

I read this entire thread very carefully. I have found that compatibility settings on .exe Properties rarely work for me with games on Windows 11. Most of my issues are DirectDraw/D3D/3dfx issues in getting older games to run correctly (solved with dgVoodoo or WineD3D). Some are related to having (2) GPUs in the laptop and I often have to force the nVidia GPU as the Intel GPU doesn’t do well with OpenGL calls. A few games require the “2 GB” patch (or “Large Address Aware” patch). And one or two require “lying” to the game to make it unaware of multiple core CPUs (somewhat tricky this fix).

Fortunately, none of the above apply to Diablo.

I previously had the GOG version (and previous to that I had the actual boxed CD bought the same day it released as I did with all Blizzard games after Warcraft 2…sad to see what Blizzard has become). I bought the battle.net version when I became aware of it earlier this week so all my Blizzard titles would have a single “home”.

To get the battle.net version working, I just had to copy “ddraw.dll” from the GOG installation to the battle.net install folder (where diablo.exe is located).

Now, Diablo launches from the shortcut. Directly from the .exe. From selecting Diablo when using the battle.net provided launcher. Or from battle.net.

That simple…(for me) :upside_down_face:

However, Hellfire still will not run. Not from its .exe. Not from the launcher.

In fairness, I discovered in my “troubleshooting” efforts that the GOG version of Hellfire doesn’t launch on my Windows 11 installation either. And GOG has heavily modified its Diablo/Hellfire installation.

Curious to me that the battle.net created shortcut for Diablo or the battle.net app starts Diablo and NOT the battle.net provided launcher (where you can select between Diablo and Hellfire). Almost as if Blizzard knows that Hellfire is problematic… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: (Blizzard wasn’t too keen on Hellfire when it first released. In solidarity with my…at the time…favourite developer, I never bought it either until it was included with GOG.)

Just ecstatic that Diablo works on Windows 11 with a minor tweak and it has a home with Diablo 2 (better than the original…high point of the series) and Diablo 3 and 4 (uhhhh…microtransactions and forced online :face_vomiting:)

1 Like

i got mine to work for windows 11,go to diablo properties then under compatibility set reduced color mod to (8-bit (256) color), windows vista service pack 1 and run as admin

REFUND…stop being consumers and vote with your wallet. I just bought this it doesn’t work…wasted an hour trying all these work arounds…Why am “I” trying to fix a product I just bought. Just like politics…Blizzard is NOT going to change their practices as along as you keep forking over cash…just stop already and take agency of yourself. REFUNDED.

1 Like

Windows 11 user here.
The way to fix it and make it work is by going into the directory of the game (by the way you don’t need to install both diablo and hellfire it comes with the game) you will notice the “diablo.exe” → right click → properties → compatibility tab → check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” box → select Windows 7 (if it’s not working try XP or smth) → go back to the HELLFIRE folder → do the same for “hellfire.exe”.
Both diablo and hellfire should start now from wherever you want i.e game directory/desktop/battle.net launcher/the launcher from the game directory, you name it.
Have a nice one!

Just directly launch both ‘.\Diablo\Diablo.exe’ and ‘.\Diablo Hellfire\HELLFIRE\hellfire.exe’ files for only 1 time and you will be able to do it from battle.net desktop app or from ‘DiabloLauncher.exe’ anytime you want.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.