D2 looking for a CD key

I purchased and played all versions of Diablo and now I am trying to reinstall D2 and it’s asking for a key. All my keys were used many many years ago but I do have all my character names and passwords but I can’t get past that need for a CD key. The keys were not registered with Battlenet, afaik it wasn’t a thing, back then. I really don’t want to lose the accounts as I put a lot of hours into the games (level 89 Ranger etc).
Any help greatly appreciated.

Hey MsAngel,

In order to install the digital version of D2 (downloaded from Battlenet), you need a 26-digit license key.

The way to get that is to link your old 16-digit CD key to your Bnet account. When you link it, the 26-digit key will appear in your Games & Subscriptions list.

From there, you just copy and paste the 26-digit key into the installer.

Hey there MsAngel,

What Leviathan shared is accurate in that the 16 digit CD key should be claimed to your Battle.net account so it’s converted to the 26 digit key. I just wanted to add some links in case to help further.

First you’ll want to claim the keys to your account. You’ll find that Redeem area here.

After it’s claimed, you’ll then find the CD key and a link to download the game(s) digitally in the Games & Subscriptions area.

Lastly I’ve seen some questions about patching the game after it’s all downloaded. If you find it won’t update, you’ll find links towards the bottom of the page to manually patch the game here.

Thanks for the replies, my problem is I can’t find the original keys so the install can’t happen, after the install I have all my passwords etc but am stuck at the install :frowning:

Your old accounts no longer exist because after 90 days of inactivity, they are removed from the servers.

So, you will need to start over.

The only way to install D2 Classic is to redeem your old 16 digit keys for 26 digit keys. Use the links provided above.

If you don’t have those keys to redeem, then you must repurchase Diablo 2 and the expansion, LOD. You will then receive new 26 digit keys.

So much time lost… :cry: Thanks Lionheart.