My PC is timing out connecting to the Battle.net patching server. I have been unable to download any updates for over three hours with this error and the additional error message prompting me to navigate to the support page.
I am averaging roughly 53ms of latency to the server itself, with response times as low as 34ms.
See screenshot from my PC to the Blizzard infrastructure in ThousandEyes: imgur .com/VBP5f8w
Thanks for sharing. My friend is experiencing this issue as well, and we are trying to play together. Hopefully the good folks at Blizzard fix this soon!
Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.
Sometimes firewall or routing software/hardware will have some advanced settings to prioritize and manage types of network traffic. Normally that is not an issue but we have seen situations where it can interfere with the delivery of the data for our games/voice chat.
Let’s try turning off these features:
RoG (ASUS Routers Only)
Security firewalls (Some ISP provided modems)
Not all devices will have these options and the steps for turning these functions off will be different depending on the make/model/software version of the devices and programs involved. If necessary look at the documentation for your security and routing products to find out how to turn these options off.
In some cases there is a corrupt or misconfigured setting within the router or modem. We cannot say what that might be offhand but the easiest way to resolve these conflicts would be to factory reset the router and/or modem.
You may need to look up your specific model for the steps on how to do this and in some rare cases you may need to have this done by the ISP. Feel free to reach out to them for assistance if necessary.
Try running your system in selective startup mode: https://battle.net/support/article/200483
We need to not only remove all data relating to the Battle.net Desktop Application and affected game client, we need to ensure we have good permissions for reinstall.
- Ensure the Desktop Application or setup is not running and open File Explorer (Right click Windows Start Button)
- In File Explorer, navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
- Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
- Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
- Empty the recycle bin.
- Create a new administrator account: Blizzard Support - Creating a New Administrator Account
- Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile.
- Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.
If that doesn’t solve the issue, then I recommend submitting a ticket with an msinfo attached for further investigation. (instructions for collecting that msinfo report will be on the form.)
Click your name at the top right of this page, click support, click contact support.
Thanks for the response.
I do not have any:
- QoS Settings in place
- SIP ALG enabled
- RoG ASUS Router/Modem
- Firewall rules in place that would be blocking the connection
I highly doubt this is an issue with my local modem/router as I have no issues connecting and downloading clients from other services.
I did a packet capture and us. patch. battle.net (184.108.40.206) is sending back an HTTP 408 response after I initiate the connection (run the Battle.net installer), which indicates this is a server-side issue as the timeout has been exceeded. While this can be indicative of both client and server errors, the below facts point that it is not on my (client) end:
HTTP GET Request payload:
/us.patch.battle.net: 1119 /agent/versions
122.368835 PC-9390279DCD.local us. patch. battle.net HTTP 142GET /agent/versions HTTP/1.1
Response from us. patch. battle.net
122.385917 us .patch.battle.net PC-9390279DCD.local HTTP 912 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Pinging us. patch. battle.net [220.127.116.11] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 18.104.22.168: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=52
Reply from 22.214.171.124: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=52
Reply from 126.96.36.199: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=52
Reply from 188.8.131.52: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=52
PING us. patch. battle.net (184.108.40.206): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 220.127.116.11: seq=0 ttl=53 time=11.050 ms
64 bytes from 18.104.22.168: seq=1 ttl=53 time=11.241 ms
64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: seq=2 ttl=53 time=10.630 ms
64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: seq=3 ttl=53 time=11.347 ms
Note I have tried this on both my Windows and Mac PCs with the same issue. The initial three-way and TLS handshake complete, the HTTP GET is sent from the client which is shortly met with a 200 response from the patch server. The issue is no data actually is sent for five seconds (which I’m guessing the timeout value configured server-side) and then a FIN is sent from the server, terminating the connection at which point I see the “We’re having troubles startng Battle.net” error message in the app GUI.
I am happy to share the Pcap file by whatever is the best means to send to your team for analysis
https:// imgur. com /a/ZJssGkj