Checking if two characters belong to the same account

If a user wants to add a second character to their profile on my site I need to determine if they truly belong to the same account. To do this, I currently employ a roughshod method of comparing the characters’ pets and achievements (and require the characters to have their individual achievements set to visible). Not ideal, but it works.

With the new Community APIs is there a better way to do this? Thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

If I’m reading the Migration Status post right, it says that the Users Characters end point is in progress, meaning not yet available.

There is a community API for this (with user login) but the community APIs are the ones that are going away shortly.

1 Like

I see! Thanks :slight_smile: I suspect the current API isn’t available to my site because we don’t use Battle. net login. Not that it will matter soon anyway.

It may not really matter for me, anyway. It looks like the new mount API returns all mounts from your account, not just the ones available to the current character, which is really all I need. The Community API doesn’t do that.

Just my two cents, but if this is a user-facing account management thing, I think most users either already do or soon will expect to use their battle.net login for that.

If you try to simulate that functionality with the roughshod approach, I expect you’ll end up with support tickets on one hand for when it doesn’t work, and privacy complaints on the other when it does.

Or if it’s a user convenience thing like having a handy menu of public data character profiles they want to easily switch between, you could just let them add any characters they wish without any authentication.

1 Like

Thanks!

Privacy isn’t a major concern in this particular case as these are for personal user profiles, where they currently have to add multiple characters in order to encompass every mount on their account. I don’t have a “top collector” list, or anything public like that. But hopefully the new mount API means I won’t have to worry about it (hopefully they’ll fix up the missing mounts in time).