Can't add phone number to account. Already in use..?

When adding my phone number to my account it says it’s already in use. This is my only blizzard account and I have two step set up as well as email. Phone number is a new set up I haven’t done before. Not sure how it would be attached to another account in the first place when it requires the verification code.

3 Likes

Hey, Eru! It could be that the phone number used was applied quite some time ago. You’ll want to contact Customer Support to look into this issue since we do not assist with account or billing issues on the forums for privacy and security reasons.

3 Likes

I have a support ticket in process. With current wait times I was not sure how long it would take and wanted to see if there was a quick fix here. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

No problem, Eru! To help speed up the process, if you haven’t already including the phone number somewhere on the ticket can help speed up the process since our team will have more information needed to look up what’s needed.

Wish there was something we could do here, but hopefully this isn’t impeding on any gameplay or account access. I know the wait times have been a bit longer than we’d like, but hopefully our team will respond soon to get this fixed up soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

having this problem as well. support told me to use live chat to verify my number… live chat is about as real as a unicorn, checked numerous times over months and the option was never there. now i am told to make sure i am not using a VPN as well as a bunch of other dumb sh1t. then i read on their article that “once a number has been added for warzone, it cannot be unlinked” or something. well, now i literally cannot play overwatch without that number attached thing. i preordered overwatch 2 and seemingly will not be able to play util CS gets back to me.CS has been nothing short of worthless. i cannot possibly convey with words how menial yet frustrating this is. i pay this dogsh1t company hundreds of dollars per year and they can’t spare 2 brain cells to attach the phone number i’ve had since the first time i got a phone number to my account. what a joke. thank god this is a small indie company.

25 Likes

I agree with you a million percent, as I am in the exact same boat as you. PHONE NUMBER ALREADY IN USE. If it somehow is, it wasn’t with me. So now I can’t play Overwatch…? That I paid for? Like what? So scummy.

13 Likes

can u explain how this benefits me when i have 2 accounts 1 for console and 1 for PC with games purchased on both which i cant play because of this??? im waiting

Oh and BTW I cant play OW2 on console with my friends now and only God knows whats gonna happen when i try and play MW2 on my PC account. Also GOD FORBID I decided to get a new phone number. I love that i have to spend every waking moment thinking about my battlenet phone number just in case i want to get a new phone number because its not like i have Work and bills to think about… no this is def more important to have the battlenet phone number verification on my mind forget all my other responsibilities this is definetly more important :slight_smile:

Thanks for being a horrible help for me :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Same issue here I had my phone number on my account years ago and now its gone and I cant add it. How did they get this wrong.

3 Likes

I paid for a game that I can not use, and the support is not responding, I’m gonna loose ow2 day one for this thing, seriusly?

5 Likes

I am having the same problem. I have never linked my phone to anything on battle net and it says it is already in use. I preordered the game and cannot play.

5 Likes

Yep same….loaded up overwatch 2 ……and my own number that I’ve had for literally 10 years is somehow in use….by me?..…from the past!!!

What a mess….

5 Likes

Good to know im not the only one with this problem. I paid for the game as well and now i cant even use what i paid for. Thanks for nothing blizzard. Your customer service sucks too, this is the last time i ever trust anything blizzard related

6 Likes

Have this exact same issue. Opened multiple support tickets, they have all been deleted without reply or anything. Now i have to beg for a refund for the watchpoint pack because i can’t play the game.

6 Likes

I’m not sure how my phone number is already in use. I’ve had it for nearly 5 years. Tried to add it to my account. Says it’s already in use. No problem, right? Just go to my account and add it and send a code to the phone so I can CONFIRM I HAVE THE PHONE IN MY HAND. Nope, can’t do it boss, phone is already in use on another account… IF that’s true and SOMEHOW someone somewhere used my phone number for a Blizzard account for WHATEVER reason and then never used it again… how is it I can’t transfer it to MY account by confirming I HAVE THE PHONE IN MY HAND??? Blizzard???

21 Likes

Having the exact same problem. I have been playing Overwatch since launch, and now I can’t even get into the game because somehow my phone is linked to another account. I have tried getting in to Battle Net with literally every single email I have EVER had. From the time that I was 12 to now. There was only one email that I used in middle school for WoW that I somehow managed to get into, and my phone number still is not there. This is quite frankly absurd and the fact that there is nobody that can help me is even MORE absurd. How hard could it be as a company who makes millions of dollars to have SOME SORT of a Support Staff that can answer a phone? I have given so much of my time to this game that I still WANT to play. Yet, I am being deprived of the simple joy of being able to play on day one because somehow, my phone number, which I want to reiterate I have NEVER put into a Battle Net account is supposedly being used already. I wanted so desperately for this launch to show me that Blizzard is finally attempting to care about its player base again. Looks like I’m being proved wrong, since I’m going to have wait what will probably be several days for a response that won’t even help me.

1 Like

I had the same issue, and addressed it last week. Here’s what to check:

1. Check if you have an Activision account that has the phone number on it (like if you played Call of Duty through blizzard this would have automatically happened). If so delete it in the Activision side and it will magically show up in the blizzard side.
  2. If it’s wrong … change it (this could get tricky and you might need support as this wasn’t my issue and there are some variables).
  3. If you have a prepaid cell they don’t like that (as they’re trying to prevent people opening a bunch of troll accounts and it’s easy to do if they allow this).
    If #1 is your problem it might get you through… if you are #2 or #3 … your gonna need to do some homework or get with support.

********************* SOLUTION ********************

1. Scan the QR code on TV using your phone and follow that link Blizzard generates for you
  2. Open browser on phone
  3. Follow the steps on Blizzard website

If you added your phone number to another Battle.net account, log in to that account’s Account Details page to remove the number. See this link, This Phone Number is Already in Use on Another Account - Blizzard Support

1. Scan the QR code on TV using your phone and follow that link Blizzard generates for you
  2. Open browser on phone

If you added your phone number to another Battle.net account, log in to that account’s Account Details page to remove the number. See this link, This Phone Number is Already in Use on Another Account - Blizzard Support

2. Open browser on phone

If you added your phone number to another Battle.net account, log in to that account’s Account Details page to remove the number. See , This Phone Number is Already in Use on Another Account - Blizzard Support

Been having this same problem and I even tried 3 different phone numbers and it said all of them were in use. I am 100% certain none of those numbers have been used on any battlenet account ever. If this many ppl have the same issue you’d think they’d wanna try and solve the problem. this is absolutely ridiculous

2 Likes