Can I create a fan game?

I was reading the copyright and it doesn’t specifically say. So I was wondering if anyone had any info on if it was allowed to make a free fan game. I wasn’t planning on selling it but would be putting it up for free for others to play. The goal was to create a realistic horror game based around Goldshire in World of Warcraft. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don’t work for Blizzard, but no, I would not do that. Any derivatives of WoW would not be allowed, even if you offered it for free. You may not use any of Blizzard’s assets (art, music, characters, images, story, etc. in a game adaptation you make and distribute). The exceptions to that are limited to use of certain images on websites within the legal documentation, and of course addons exist in Blizzard’s API sandbox.

EULA Blizzard End User License Agreement - Legal – Blizzard Entertainment

License Limitations. Blizzard may suspend or revoke your license to use the Platform, or parts, components and/or single features thereof, if you violate, or assist others in violating, the license limitations set forth below. You agree that you will not, in whole or in part or under any circumstances, do the following:

1. Derivative Works: Copy or reproduce (except as provided in Section 1.B.), translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on or related to the Platform.

Can I write novels, screenplays, theatrical productions or other adaptations based on your games?

No. Blizzard Entertainment® reserves the right to extend and expand our properties to other media. We want to provide a consistent story and universe for our customers, and want to ensure that only the highest quality, officially licensed and approved material is created based on our characters and other creative properties.

Can I get authorization to do an expansion pack, novel, screenplay, theatrical production, or other adaptation based on your games?

Unfortunately, Blizzard Entertainment® cannot accept unsolicited ideas or submissions. As a result, we will not be able to review or authorize any submissions related to expansions, novels, screenplays, productions or other adaptations.

1 Like

As of my knowledge, it is generally not allowed to create fan games without permission from the copyright holders, even if the game is offered for free and not intended for commercial purposes.

Thanks