Blizzard updating overwatch causes internet to stop working

Hey there,

Just moved into a new apartment and transferred my internet service. With it came a new router. My internet works fine on my laptop, I am able to play online games, stream youtube, and browse the internet just fine.

When logging onto battle.net via the UI and starting to update overwatch, my internet completely goes out. It still says I am connected to the wifi network, but I can’t open Chrome and browse the internet, the update never downloads, and the only way to fix the problem is to disconnect from my wifi network and reconnect manually.

Why is the Blizzard updater causing my internet to completely turn off?

Hey Riksos! Thank you for taking the time to reach out with that information. When your Internet goes down, regardless of the trigger, it means that your network drivers or network hardware crashed. While your Internet Service Provider ultimately may need to investigate and resolve the problem, we recommend focusing on things such as:

Note : We do not support play on mobile internet connections. However if this works, it indicates the issue is likely with the modem, router, or ISP.

If none of this helps, we’ll need you to get a copy of an MTR run while the issue happens. This might show us what exactly is crashing. Here are the steps:

1. Download the tool from this page
  2. In the “Host” field, enter “us.patch.battle.net” (without quotes).
  3. Start the test and launch the Battle.net Desktop App. Ensure the Internet stops working while the winMTR tool is running.
  4. After recording data for about 5 minutes, click “export text” and save the winMTR file in an easy to find location.
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the winMTR. It’ll look like this:
WinMTR goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

same thing was happening to me while i was using wifi adapter. The problem was fixed when i connected the ethernet cable.

Sorry to bump this thread but I also have this issue. When downloading a game or patch in the Battle.net client literally all of my internet connected devices stop working when trying to connect to the internet via wifi or ethernet. This happens on PC or Mac. Ive tested other game clients downloading big files and it does not happen. I swapped out modems and routers to the same affect. It also seems like Battle.net client when downloading is capped at 15MB per sec even though in settings its uncapped and not limited and I have gigabit internet. Now the funny thing is the download in the battle.net client keeps going as if nothing is wrong but if I open a web browser on that computer PC or Mac it will say cannot connect to web.

2 Likes

same here. once update is done. internet comes back. very frustrating.

Same things happens to me, when i try to download cod, kicks everyone out of the wifi but keep downloading what it needs. im not able to search anything on my laptop. my laptop is hardwired in. this is a battle net issue cause every other game platform i download games from works just fine. please fix this. if you need any info from me please let me know .

I think I have the fix if anyone is interested

Classic reply. Blame the ISP/CPE EQ even though every other service works just fine. Hilarious. Hey, always blame the customer or their ISP right!