Battle.net not working with VPN

I have been trying to play Call of Duty Cold War that I purchased last night. After many hours of getting error “Negative 345 Blazing Gator” and all manner of troubleshooting I determined Activision’s servers do not want to play nice with my internet/modem, whatever.

I ended up getting a VPN (Bitdefender) and now whenever I enable my VPN it disconnects from battle.net, crashes the app and disconnects any games launched through battle.net. However, without the VPN on I continuously get the unable to connect error through Call of Duty.

I know there is nothing Blizzard can do about Call of Duty but I was wondering if there were any potential fixes for the VPN/Battle.net interaction as this seems wild that battle.net would not work with a VPN.

I have checked other gaming apps on my computer (Steam/Epic) and both work just fine with the VPN enabled, it is only Battle.net that does not work.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hey there!

I am sorry to hear about the unexpected trouble connecting to Call of Duty on your normal home network. If the Battle.net Desktop App only disconnects when enabling the VPN, I recommend enabling the VPN prior to launching the App.

While I’m happy to hear that using a VPN has managed to allow you to play, using a VPN should not be considered a “solution”, but only a workaround to some underlying issue preventing the connection on your normal network. If you can’t connect only when using your normal network, this indicates that something specific to your network settings is causing the issue. While you can reset your modem to factory defaults to resolve many settings-related issues on the network level, ultimately we can only recommend contacting your ISP so that they can troubleshoot things further.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions going forward.

1 Like

So the enabling the VPN prior to launching the battle.net app makes it so the app in unable to launch. Well I guess it is able to launch, the .exe pulls up in task manager but the actual app never pulls up in any visual sense. Even after killing it through task manager and trying to relaunch.

I am unable to play the game because you need to be connected to battle.net services to play and enabling my VPN disconnects me from all battle.net / Blizzard services.

I know using a VPN is a temporary issue but I was trying to pinpoint the issue with Call of Duty Cold War and was told that it is an incredibly common bug that users with a Motorola modem are unable to connect to Activision’s servers and that using a VPN would allow you to get around that issue. I know there is nothing Blizzard can really do about that so I am more just asking about how to get Battle.net to work with a VPN. It seems from other support posts that is has something to do with the VPN routing the battle.net traffic incorrectly?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I agree here. When you close the launcher and try to reboot the launcher with the VPN turned on it acts as if a connection cannot be made to authenticate your library. Is this on purpose? I really hope this isn’t some form on internet censorship.

3 Likes

I’m having a similar problem. I haven’t launched Battle.net or WoW in about two months.

I wasn’t able to log in without using a VPN. I could log in to the website but not the Battle.net application nor games.

At the time of this writing, I’m having trouble connecting to any VPNs. Riseup, AirVPN via their Eddie-UI application and OpenVPN with windoze 7.

(I know… bad but, win10 can go eat a bag of bad clams. I tried hard to use it, disabled all the spyware and as much bloat as I could. Kept getting random reboots and BSODs in the middle of things. Comparatively, zero issues with Ubuntu GNU/Linux. WoW, D3, and HS are all I use “Gaming OS 7” for.)

Tried adding rules to the firewall for every related .exe I could find. The rest of the Internet is reachable. What else can I do?

1 Like

Well it seems VPN’s are just banned on Battle.net so if you’re getting a DDoX you’re screwed.

2 Likes

Any luck finding out the problem?

1 Like

i have had issues with nord vpn connecting properly with battlenet but i now i use pia vpn and no more issues, maybe this helps some one

1 Like

its very annoying as I only want Chrome to use the VPN… but for some reason I have problems with other applications

BitDefender VPN has a feature called Split Tunneling. Enable that and add the Battle.net.exe and Battle.net Launcher.exe to the list of applications that will bypass the VPN. All other traffic will stay anonymized, but it will allow the Battle.net launcher app to connect. It should still anonymize CoD.

2 Likes

^Solution. Works with NordVPN. Thank you very much for the help I was quite frustrated.

1 Like

Is this fix still working for you with NordVPN?
I cannot get Warzone 2 working through battle.net with expressVPN or NordVPN (even by doing the above). It will work only on the server in my country but no overseas servers.

I can confirm it has been not working for Bitdefender VPN even though Battle.net launcher.exe and Battle.net exe are selected in the split tunnerling menu. I have found that it will launch fine when VPN is disconnected, then once I launch a game (in this case Starcraft) I can connect the VPN without connection dropping.

I have set Battlenet to close on launching the game for this. When accidentally starting Battlenet up while the VPN is active the BNapp always displays a "has fallen asleep / trying to wake up"message which NEVER resolves to connect. When that happens, it can’t launch the game. The only solution I found to work then is completely shut down the VPN, (not just disconnect). and re-launch BN as describe above.

1 Like