Battle.net doesn't open

Hi there.

My Battle.net desktop app doesn’t open when I double click on it. In the Task Manager, I can see that it’s creating several Battle.net-related tasks, but moments later, they all end. No Battle.net Launcher UI appears.

I’m using Windows 11. It was working the day before I started to have this issue, and no Windows updates occurred between my last successful attempt and my first failed attempt.

Things I’ve tried: In the article “Can’t Connect to Battle.net Desktop App”, I performed steps 1 to 6 at the top, and steps 1 to 9 in the Advanced Troubleshooting section. None of this changed anything; the app still won’t even open. Since I can’t paste a link, here are all the steps, for reference.

  1. Reset your network devices , which resolves most network problems.

  2. If you’re using a wireless or low speed connection, optimize your internet connection to rule out a connection issue.

  3. Update your drivers and operating system to resolve any compatibility issues.

  4. Release and renew your IP and flush your DNS to resolve any network conflicts.

  5. Close all other applications to resolve software conflicts and free up resources.

  6. Delete the Battle.net Tools folder to automatically rebuild outdated or corrupt files.

Advanced Troubleshooting

  1. Configure your firewall to allow Blizzard services to connect successfully.

  2. If you’re using a VPN, try removing it.

  3. Disable any proxies that may interfere with our applications.

  4. Run a security scan to remove any viruses or malware infections.

  5. Configure your security software’s exception list to allow Blizzard applications to run.

  6. Try creating a new administrator account to resolve permissions issues.

  7. Your Windows Hosts file may contain incorrect entries. Check and reset any incorrect Hosts file entries.

  8. Old firmware on your modem and router can cause issues with complex game connections. Visit the manufacturer’s website for instructions on how to apply firmware updates.

  9. Uninstalling and reinstalling the Battle.net App may resolve rare launcher issues.

Notes:

  • I did attempt to run Diablo II Resurrected directly, and that opened as expected, except it wasn’t able to log me in (which makes sense).
  • The only things I did on my computer between the last successful and first failed attempts was to turn off my computer one night, and turn it on the next.

Any assistance would be appreciated; I just want to actually play the games I bought.

Some security software suits ignore exceptions from the user. If you’re running Malware Bytes, Citrix, AVG, Norton, anything like that will block the client from launching.

Note: I do not work at Blizzard.

Thanks! I am only using Windows Defender, so unfortunately I don’t have anything I can turn off. I’ve also tried adding the exception to Windows Defender, and it didn’t make the app work again. T_T

Did you add the whole directory or just the *.exe? And have you made sure the directory WoW is in is not set to read only?

I have the same or at least a similar problem. Haven’t managed to find a solution to the problem yet either.
Funny thing is when I try to launch the battle.net app as admin nothing at all seems to happen. When I launch it not as admin the app begins to start but the process gets stuck somewhere.

same cannot connect to server i buy it to steam pls fix this problem

Same issue here, just connected few hours ago and now cant log back…

More information: It looks like the Update Agent is getting a 404 error when trying to connect to the server. Here’s the error message (link modified so I can actually reply):

[I 2026-04-01 23:53:24.0649] Network Connection Response to https :// us.version .battle .net /agent- CURL error: 0, Status Code: 404

Hi guys, faced with the same issue.