Battle.net app appears in system tray but never opens

Like the topic says, I launch battle.net, and the icon appears in the system tray, but the app never actually opens. If I right click it, no games show above “Games”, the number by friends is always 0, and if I do not click anything fast enough (like, within a second) the right click menu goes away. I can let it sit there indefinitely and it will not open.

If I (1) delete the battle.net folder and its contents from users/username/appdata/local or (2) use an ethernet cable instead of wifi for internet, it opens immediately.

I would like to be able to open Battle.net without having to do (1) or (2) every time.

In the meantime, if anyone else is experiencing the same problem, (1) and (2) are a couple of workarounds.

Same issue here. Battle.net app is stuck in system tray. I can right click the application and select a game that I want to run but it dosn’t open anything but settings. Seems borked.

Ok, so this was driving me crazy and I believe I got the fix since Blizzard does not like to comment on their forums. Scroll to the bottom of this post for fix, but I will discuss what was going on with my computer and how I fixed it.

So I just finished restoring my laptop and installed the blizzard app. It opened fine and I was able to install games but when I updated to the beta it would now run only in the system tray but would not open. I also noticed that if I right clicked on it in the system tray that after around two seconds the menu would disappear. I thought it was a bug with the beta so I uninstalled and went back to the normal version but the same thing kept happening. Every time it launched for the first time it worked fine but after that it would no longer open. I tried everything from moving the folders to deleting the cache, etc. what I did notice was I went to forget my network thinking it was possibly an IP conflict and when I disconnected from my network the blizzard app opened up. so I figured it must be something with the network. after resetting the network, rebooting it, etc I still had the same problems so what I ended up doing was checking the driver on my network card / Wi-Fi and noticed that the driver was signed in 2018. Even though my laptop has a self-updating application from Alienware, I decided to look on the manufacturer’s website and found a newer driver. After installing it I have not had the problem. So I would recommend anyone having this same issue to check the manufacturer of your Wi-Fi card for newer drivers and if there aren’t maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from scratch again. I hope this helps everyone and I would love to know if it fixed the problem for you as it did for me.