Battle.net app won't reinstall

Originally I tried running Diablo 3 but a battle.net update took precedence over it. While it’s updating, the process comes to a halt at 65%. I let it attempt to update all day and came back to zero progress.

I then uninstalled the app and tried reinstalling it. Big mistake. Now I can’t even download the app. It is stuck at “Updating Blizzard Agent”.

I went so far as removing any and all Blizzard/Battle.net files from my PC prior to reinstalling. I disabled Windows Defender, checked my firewall to ensure the app has its privileges, haven’t done anything out of the ordinary for this app to just drop dead like this. I’ve also never had this issue before so I’m really unsure what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Running on Windows 10 64 bit with the latest updates/drivers.

Thank you

Having the same issue, none of the suggested steps have worked for me.

Im having the same problem, haven’t played wow in few months, couldnt get passed “fetching encoding table” to update it. Tried all the troubleshooting steps with no luck. Made the same mistake of uninstalling the battle.net app and now i cant get passed updating it. Ive tried every trouble shooting option with no luck. This is crazy.

I see I’m not the only one having these issues. Sort of reassuring to think it might be on Blizzard’s end.

Just last night I got the idea to download the app on my laptop which basically has a fresh install of Windows on it. Turns out the app installed almost immediately with no problems. Still at a loss for what to do and does not give me any explanation regarding what’s going on with my desktop. The fact that I could install it on my laptop with no problem says a lot because on there I kept my anti-virus and Windows Defender enabled, and this was all after I reset my router too, so… what gives?

So, there is a way to play WoW without the BattleNet launcher. I went into Program Files (x86) > World Of Warcraft and there are launchers in that folder, but ignore those. At the top there should be folder(s) titled _retail_ and/or _classic_ and supposedly the launchers in there do not need BattleNet

BUT

If you go that route (and I’ve only tried it with _classic_), you have to be prepared to have to authenticate your pass. If it says your account is locked because of suspicious activity, do not worry, just go to the website and your account and activate an authenticator, and log in and use the code from it and you’ll be fine. It’s more of a hassle this way, but you can play w/o BattleNet… at least for me right now. Classic was fully updated before i had issues. I am uncertain about what happens after it updates.

Edit: And that’s assuming you remember your password right. BN might have you spoiled there. I almost didn’t remember what to put under account name (apparently my actual account name wouldn’t work, i had to use my e-mail).

Try this!

5 Likes

@Meatyard, this solution worked!!! Thank you so much for directing me to this! After many hours of troubleshooting it actually worked.

Unfortunately this did not work for me, either last night or tonight. I never had a third party antivirus in the first place either, and the issue is occurring on multiple networks.

1 Like

Im having the exact same issues for a minute i was going crazy thinking my PC is messed up. I’ve done everything did a CC cleaner and even did a complete PC refresh still cant even download the game again. I have not been able to play WOW now for almost 3 days. I have no idea what to do i read the tip on the third party virus protection but i don’t have one nor has this ever happened to me before. Im at a complete loss no idea how to fix this

also to add this all started when it had to update and it would freeze or glitch at a certain point of the update. So i did the PC refresh so no files that are stored could be glitching still nothing works tried the CMD reset repository and when trying to download the client nothing happens the page automatically refreshes BLIZZARD PLEASE FIX YOUR APP

Yeah this didn’t work for me. None of these steps i have seen from blizzard has allowed me to reinstall the app. My PC is barley a year old, hopefully i can figure it out by the time the new wow expansion comes out. Incredible.

Yeah I’m getting the same issue, I’ve even done a format and still nothing. I think its a problem with the app and windows 10. Blizzard has lost my account ever coming back.

This is the solution that worked for me, 1//6/20. Many thanks Meatyard!