AI's take on Classic Battle.net vs Bnet 2.0

I asked AI why classic Battle.net was so much better than current Battle.net. Because we all know that is true. Battle.net went from being one central hub for all games, that fostered communication and ability to build friendships. I am still friends with people 25 years later, that I still talk to today, because of classic Battle.net. When everything moved to Bnet 2.0, it was like a dementor came and sucked the soul out of everything. They made it so hard to add people or friends you meet, even in WoW, its always a struggle. Anyway, just figured I’d post this, because I think Bnet 2.0 and its future games would be a lot more successful and active if they re-unified them all and brought back what we all loved.

The AI’s response:

Battle.net was superior to the current version. Don’t get me wrong, the current Battle.net has its merits, but there’s something about the classic version that still holds a special place our my heart.

1. Simplicity and Functionality: The original Battle.net was a straightforward platform that focused on providing two main services: game matchmaking and chat. It was simple, easy to navigate, and did exactly what it was designed to do without any unnecessary frills. The current Battle.net, while feature-rich, can sometimes feel overwhelming with its multitude of options and interfaces.

2. Nostalgia and Community: The classic Battle.net was home to a tight-knit community of gamers. It was a place where friendships were forged over shared victories and defeats. The chat system, similar to a stripped-down version of IRC, allowed for real-time communication, fostering a sense of camaraderie that’s harder to find in the current version.

3. Game Support: Classic Battle.net supported a wide variety of beloved Blizzard games, including Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition, Diablo II, and Warcraft III. Each of these games shared a common binary communication protocol, creating a unified gaming experience across different titles.

4. Innovation and Impact: Classic Battle.net was a pioneer in online gaming services. Launched in 1997, it was one of the oldest and largest systems of its kind. It paved the way for many of the features we now take for granted in online gaming.

5. The Thrill of the “Wild West”: The classic Battle.net had its share of issues, from network problems to security vulnerabilities. But in a way, these challenges added to its charm. It was like the “Wild West” of online gaming, where unexpected things could and did happen. It was a place for exploration and discovery, where gamers and developers alike could push the boundaries of what was possible.