Agent.exe wont launch

Recently formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my machine. Every time I try to launch Battle net app I get “Blizzard Agent went to sleep. Attempting to wake it up…” with the error code: BLZBNTBNA00000005

I have tried:

1. Updating drivers and OS.
  2. Ran security scans.
  3. Update/Turn off security.
  4. New admin account.
  5. Can’t uninstall battle net app because agent exe is always asleep.

The only thing I have gotten to work is to use Command Prompt to stop winmgmt and reset repository then restart winmgmt.

• Command Prompt as Administrator
  • net stop winmgmt
  • winmgmt /resetrepository
  • net start winmgmt
  • Exit Command Prompt

I have to do this every time I restart my computer or if I somehow lose internet connection. ( Wired connection )

This the only program I am having issues with. Steam, GoG, Xbox and Discord all work fine and once I have Battle net app loaded its fine just Agent exe is always sleeping.

UPDATE: Forcing Battle net App and Agent exe to go through a VPN has allowed every thing to work. ISP is Spectrum, possible they blocking it?

UPDATE 2: After running the system file checker and restarting my computer battle net app connects. No idea what changed since the file checker found nothing wrong. Also not running a VPN at the moment so that didn’t do it.

Heya Sas,

If the problem is being resolved by restarting the WMI repository then it could be a corrupted install of Windows, or a security program that is causing problems with the operating system. I might suggest uninstalling any third party security apps and doing a system file checker first.

If the problem persists after that it might be best to discuss the problem with Microsoft so they can help check the system for errors.

Alright, trying out the system file checker now. Any reason why a vpn would make it work?

A VPN changes how your network connections appear to security applications, routers/network modems, and also how your connection paths through the internet.

To me this further suggests the problem is related to security settings or software either on the computer or home network. I do still highly recommend the steps I suggested earlier.

Let us know how it goes!

Here are the results from doing a system check:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.535]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.535

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

The only security I have right now is Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. Disabling Malwarebytes doesn’t change anything. Seems to be Windows Defender if its security blocking it.

Hey, Sas! If Windows Defender is a concern, it should help to try a New Admin account. Even if an administrative account exists on the current system, this step is highly recommended as it creates a new user profile and resets a ton of windows features.

With the Blizzard Application not being able to uninstall, try working around this by following these steps:

1. Press Windows key + R and type in %temp%
  2. Delete anything related to Blizzard or Battle.net
  3. Do the same for %programdata%, %localappdata%, %appdata%
    • If you cannot uninstall the application, add %programfiles(x86)% This the default install location. If its not there, you will need to search the computer files.
  4. Reinstall the application.

If it continues, does it help to leave the application alone for 15 minutes or so? Does it never load?