Zombie invasion Nov 10 comes with free 100 gear

just an fyi if you are chasing gear right now

shadowlands full launch Nov 23 which will obviously have huge upgrades

wow just in time for my sub to expire unreal. I resubbed when prepatch dropped rofl.

They prob had a ton of subs drop off and figured it’s a good way to get them to renew!

1 Like

“Free” as opposed to what alternative? It’s not like we pay cash money for gear in this game.

Actually you do. You’re paying a sub to play the game. So everything you’ve ever achieved or done in this game is not free. And even if you’re using gold to buy wow tokens, that just means someone else is paying even more money for you to play this game. So it’s not free.

Or i could simply say time=money.

it’s also why we have a right to be frustrated if the game isn’t doing things in an enjoyable manner.

4 Likes

How is this gear different from any other gear that it would merit the descriptor “free”? I fully expect that players will be required to do something to get it, and quests for players with an ilvl of 55 may very well not be trivial.

It’s not. They’re exaggerating. It’s trivial to acquire compared to other gear of 100 ilvl. I think that’s their point.

IIRC from the ptr, it’s not anything particularly difficult. But the tuning could’ve change so who knows.

1 Like

Well, hopefully it is. After all the new currencies and vendors with strings attached, it wouldn’t surprise me if we had some surprises coming up.

Well, let me warn you before hand then, especially if you didn’t play through previous scourge invasions.

It will be hell.

It’s not difficult, so much as chaotic. It’s an actual outbreak of the scourge. (Like what happened in stratholme.) Players who get infected become ghouls, and can attack other players (Regardless of PvP flag ? not sure. I’m always flagged lol.)

Their ghoul form was too strong for people in ilvl 50 gear to handle on the PTR if i’m remembering correctly.

My chief and only concern is that the gear they provide us for participating in this event, as it’s only ever going to happen once in our lives, is that the gear provided be unique visually. Like it was in TBC. Because I regret few things more than vendoring that set. It wasn’t anything special, but it was a unique rogue mog. lol.

It’s likely however, the low effort Plate-Leather-Mail-Cloth skins we’ve seen reused on the new Starter zone.

But yeah. Beware Stormwind. Beware Orimmar. The scourge will get you. lol. People go crazy during this event.

1 Like

Good!! I can’t wait for the crazy event!

2 Likes

Nah. You will be very disappointment to find that they nerfed it into the ground. I think though that it was a serious mistake to recycle content for a prepatch in the first place, and then to try to do it with something that was so unpopular they had to apologize and say they’d never repeat it.

My concern is overtuned world quests and the possibility of unknown as yet strings attached.

3 Likes

Ah you’re right. how horrible.

Nvm. Sorry ROmbell. my experience was on an older ptr where it was still like it was back in 2007 or w/e.

They’ve nerfed it to the point of it not mattering.

Literally : Ghouls may not attack players

this thing was so muhc fun back in wotlk launch. Literally couldn’t escape the horde of zombies. If my memory serves, I think people even brought the scourge to outland. But i could be mistaken.

The best part was the days leading up to the event you had robed cultists in the cities and stratholme grain crates aorund capital cities, to anyone who’d played WC3 a very ominous omen lol.

1 Like

I thought the gear was mostly from the boss elites around Ice Crown Citadel?

I didn’t get to play the ptr after the changes, but when I was playing there was simply a vendor who sold the gear for currency you got from completing the Icecrown stuff.

Which more-or-less is what they did back in tbc. You’d just go to scourge hot-spots and shut down whatever nefarious deeds the cult of the damned was doing, the Argent Dawn outpost in the area would have a vendor to sell you some gear for your efforts. Featuring set bonus’ that specifically buffed your power against the undead.

IIRC it was cloth,leather, plate, and mail that all looked like a knock-off paladin tier 2 but it was dyed purple. or blue or gray or some mixture.

memory’s super foggy about this.

1 Like

Vendors like that often happen on the ptr but on implementation there is a different gear distribution system.

Right. But like I said, this isn’t the first scourge invasion. And with the previous one, argent dawn tents with quartermasters was how the loot was awarded.

Plus they had a currency system. Doubt they’d go to the trouble if they weren’t making it like that.

I have no such confidence, knowing how the current devs work. But a currency system and a vendor… You don’t see how that can be something that will restrict help to the very people “catch up” ought to be helping?

In 8.3 our alts were given the ability to earn echoes to buy essences, but that was later removed for those without the cloak, which right now is most alts, as the crap gear they are stuck with won’t take them through required assaults. The programming it took to check every alt to see which characters could buy which essences was something they developed for that vendor.

And the titan residuum vendor… You know casuals not only never earned enough of that currency to buy gear, but lost the vendor value of their gear in the process.

1 Like

I have faith in them being lazy if nothing else. Which means this event should be fairly straight forward. And with the nerfs to the zombies, it shouldn’t prove any challenge, as the rest of the content involves mundane quests and world bosses that can be auto attacked naked.

100 gear which should have been handed out since spring of this year. Bfa has been so stale with good gear in the final third of an expansion compared to Legion and even Warlords.

2 Likes

No essence catch up.
No neck catch up.
No OP trinkets.
The best part? This “catch up” gear isn’t azerite.
https://www.wowhead.com/item=183569/argent-conscripts-greathelm

:slight_smile:

1 Like