Zandalari Faith & Loa Exclusivity

We’ve seen a great number of examples where troll Priests are exclusive to one Loa. After all, pretty much all but Gonk say it has to be this way because no one cannot properly devote themselves while splitting their attention between more than one god.

However, we have seen Talanji call upon the powers of various Loa, even before becoming Queen of Zandalar. Additionally, non-priests seem to make offerings and bid just about all Loa for their favor when it fits their circumstances (i.e. you’re poor = ask Jani, your crops need to grow = ask Torcali, you need wisdom = ask Graal, etc.)

Does she get a pass because she’s of the Royal Caste as well as a priestess, or is it possible for a priest to garner the favor of multiple Loa?

I think the relationship between a loa and their followers has many aspects…

There’s honoring the loa in general. Showing them respect and proper deference. Even an offering or two. I think all practitioners of Troll voodoo do this. More renowned or powerful loa get more respect, and lesser loa, less so.

There’s calling upon them for aid. A little prayer to Torcali over your crops or asking Bwonsamdi to guard the spirit of your deceased loved ones. Again, I think this is pretty common among most practitioners.

Then there’s actually invoking their powers in the way priests do. Effectively working miracles in their name. Having your wilting crops suddenly come to life with a green glow. Having the soul of someone who just died return. This is the kind of stuff I think is the domain of direct servants of individual loa.

Many members of the Druid class seem to be an exception, granted the ability to call upon multiple loa for their powers and serving them. Some are just servants of specific loa, whose particular gifts includes the ability to assume a specific form.

And this is drawing on my own headcanon, but I can’t help but draw on comparisons to real world Vodou, where the RELATIONSHIP between the lwa and the servitor is so important. The lwa aren’t just broad archetypical ideals. They’re actual individuals with whom you interact with as one would family, friends, or loved ones. You can have the spiritual equivalent of a godmother/father. They can be happy, pleased, or frustrated with you and vice versa. Hell, you can even marry a lwa.

One of the most important practices in Vodou is possession, where a priest invokes a lwa, who then comes to inhabit a mortal body. While they’re in mortal form, they will eat, drink, and even sit down and have literal conversations with people around them. “Hey Bob. It’s me, Mama Erizule. Got that champagne I like, you know, the fancy one? Oh, you got it! That’s so sweet of you! So I heard you were having trouble with your kids. Well here’s what you do about that…”

I like to think that since the Troll loa physically exist in the world alongside their followers that they have a similar relationship. And when your relationship with someone is this personal, you can’t focus on spending time and deepening your relationship with one without necessarily neglecting another to some degree. It doesn’t mean your relationships with the others aren’t important or meaningful, but it becomes increasingly hard to conceal your affinities.

In mechanical terms? It means characters are restricted to one loa at a time. Trying to take into account the complexities and expressing them accurately via multiple (sometimes contradictory) reps and relative boons accompanying each is just impractical.

1 Like

also i would like to add that talanji originally worshipped rezan, loa of kings… it would make sense for her to be able to call others in his retinue.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, but still in this field of discussion. Do we know which classes worship which Loa? Like are Paladin Zandalari more likely to follow Loa X while Hunter Zandalari are more likely to follow Loa Y?

I imagine that’s mostly something that is up to the individual. One might infer that followers of certain Loa might be likely to be a certain class due to the ideals and values of the Loa; for example martially inclined classes and Kimbul, due to his values and what he represents.

Overall what Loa a Troll follows is likely more heavily dependent on their personality and personal values rather than their vocation; especially considering only a few Loa have traits that one could easily tie to a single class, such as the aforementioned Kimbul. Others, such as Akunda or Gral, are less applicable by comparison. Loa like Akuna especially seem to speak more to individual personality than to vocation.

In the particular case of Paladins, in game they seem to be centrally tied to Rezan. The idea of Prelates championing other Loa is mostly a community construct; one that I personally support, but I digress.

2 Likes

That’s kinda the read I got from it but I wasn’t entirely sure and I’m a bit prone to missing details about the lore from time to time. Wanted to make sure there wasn’t something obvious staring me in the face while I drew up some backstory for my Zandalari.

Thank you!

In Hearthstone, there’s a team of prelates empowered by Shirvallah.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, I remember reading about that. A bit strange and sad how little representation Shirvallah seems to have in WoW; beyond that former Feral talent bearing her name.

As far as I know, though, Hearthstone stuff isn’t necessarily canon.

Think of Loa as individuals who have the ability to grant you access to bits and pieces of their power. I think there’s a difference between asking a Loa for a spot of help, and being properly empowered by them. Considering what happened with Har’koa (Those she empowered were able to use that to subdue her), I imagine Loa aren’t keen to give just ANYONE a permanent slice of their abilities.

Considering the Loa are individuals, I imagine that they have their own ways to judge quality. So while the Loa may grant boons to Talanji when it counts, she probably doesn’t keep the powers she borrows moment to moment - Save for maybe Bwonsamdi

2 Likes

In Hearthstone, they also used Kimbul’s model, so I get the impression that they mixed up redundant Tiger Gods and just kinda ran with it. Kimbul 100% has a Paladin’s bearing, given that he’s about courage and sacrifice, even being unwilling to accept new followers until his old ones have been avenged and put to rest.