You get your cola from the man
You sit down
Insert the coin
Game starts
People standing behind you
Some because they wait for their turn, some just want to watch
It’s Warnder (1987)
You get killed 3 times.

It made no sense getting up and whine to someone.
You just got better the next time, or changed game and player in another machine.

That was peak civilization for gaming.

Serious point here.
Stop telling companies what to do.

But more importantly
Companies: Stop listening to the mob. Offer a product and that’s that.

This is the best topic I ever posted, considering the responses. Not just 0 trolling responses. but every response has a point

58 Likes

Born in 1993. My first gaming console was the original Playstation. Never been to an actual arcade. Funny thing is that I’m so tuned to the newer games with 521347 buttons to remember the keybinds to them and I think games with a joystick and an “a” or “b” control scheme is so damn difficult, rofl.

2 Likes

I was born at just the right time for arcades.

I got to experience them when they weren’t all 70s/80s crap BUT still all cost a quarter.

Carnevil for the win. Me and my old buddy Jacob actually beat that game. It’s a hell of a gamer achievement to have beaten an arcade game.

I was a teenager at a very unique and special time.

5 Likes

A lot of the arcade games were really ****ing hard. Both with control schemes and just general difficulty of content.

That was part of the experience, though. You put in your quarter, you played for as long as you could, and your reward for getting better was that you got to play more.

11 Likes

The ironic thing is that with the proper business support, you could easily bring arcades back nowadays.

You only need a little tiny phone thing to run an arcade machine, and you could charge a dime, nickel, or hell, even penny, and still make them profitable, with today’s hardware possibilities.

it’s a sad loss.

I loved arcades.

7 Likes

The bosses had a special tactic, and there was no internet back then, not even magazines about them in countries like mine, Greece.
Yet some unknown genius would figure it out with minimum coins.
It was magic, because YOU KNEW, THAT PLAYER DID IT, RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW.
No walkthroughs, no internet, nothing.

8 Likes

I can definitely agree with you on that. I tried playing Contra… haha… yeah, I’m not gonna go there. I’m an avid MW fan on PS4/PC and can easily go 3.0 K/D’s but in Contra… Wow. I must’ve died 100 times on the first level. Just feels clunky. But I guess if that’s all you had back in the day, I guess you wouldn’t understand where we are at today? Lol.

1 Like

Incorrect.

People born in the past progress into the future just fine, up to a point.

It’s YOU who can’t understand the value of what we had :stuck_out_tongue:

I get your RL meta just fine.

12 Likes

Galaga Baby!!

5 Likes

No.

70s / 80s arcade games truly are drek.

The 90s ones, though…

I did play that on a retro style Indie game on the PS4, once. It’s cool. To me it’s a bit slow lol. Like, it’s the same journey over and over. The levels were the exact same everytime you played. No diversity.

1 Like

To be fair, it worked in current WoW.

1 Like

Hell even in 1993 wgen i was a kid playing NES games when i got a gameover I hit reset or did something else. Getting mad or frustrated at my losses only lasted a little while. It wasnt a right to see the entire game it was a reward for getting better back then. There is no joy in beating modern games anymore. But i think you are trying to berate people for getting mad at the pvp situation right now and not lamenting the state of single player games.

The biggest problem isn’t the hardware expense, it’s the rent and upkeep for the space.

Physical space is more expensive than it’s ever been and it’s not getting cheaper until we deal with certain long-brewing problems in our economy. The overhead expenses involved in running an arcade of any size (or, in general, a store of any size) are non-trivial and are a real challenge for anything that isn’t already an established chain with huge capital to throw at the problem.

3 Likes

You know, that’s a really excellent point.

I acknowledge it.

2 Likes

No. Blizz ruined the game by listening too much.
And that is not negated by the fact that they eventually listened to the right people, 15 years laters, and offered a weaker version of the original.

3 Likes

I believe you, but you’re going to have to convince those players.

1 Like

About 600-700 years.

The problem started in the 1400s with the “enclosure” movement of the European royalty all the way back then, which has led to the idea of all the land on earth being “owned.”

Back before then, only land that was in-use was considered validly owned or, as we’d say today, “private property.”

It’s gonna cause some problems over the next few hundred years, the beginnings of which are only just now being seen.

1 Like

Hmm, ok so far.

Wait what? insert the coin where?
You are not at the arcade machine, WITH the cola?
Arcade owner going to smack the hell out of you for spilling coke into a 6,800 dollar arcade cabinet, this must be 1990 right?

Not if you are still sitting down with your coke.

It’s Wizard of Wor (1980)
You are standing, and your coke isnt near the arcade machines

Haaay insert coin” 9 seconds to continue

You’ve just been fried by the Wizard of Wor! Ha ha ha ha!

Yeah dude, all that is crap.
Kids but also adults, players in general, today are hooked up on meaningless interaction.
They’re hooked in social media bc they need the interaction Like and RT,
This is not an economy problem.
It’s a deep perverted fake sense of interaction.
Same in gaming.

1 Like