Your terrible charecter ideas

I once made a mage that was stupidly powerful for some reason, and boasted about it 24/7 and her cockiness was on par with Azshara. But she was too cool to actually use her ‘godly’ powers on anyone, because they were not worth wasting mana on, or so she would say. She would say things like ‘You would be a waste of a fireball much less what I can do to you, now get away from me you filthy mongrel.’ Ah, good times, though everyone hated her attitude XD.

1 Like

One of my Worgen characters had a kid with a Pandaren because ‘muh magic’.

It’s a monstrosity, but it’s our little monstrosity.

2 Likes

I have seen character claiming to be a Draenei Shado-pan commander with a Pandaren wife who claims had kids.

That my friend is true monstrosity abomination.

2 Likes

She’s valid.

1 Like

Pretty much any and every character I’ve ever made who had a surly, brooding, or unhappy disposition. Always a bad idea.

I’m not one of those people who RPs the hulking, permanently enraged testosterone monster who threatens and insults everything in sight; that’s not what I mean by surly. A good example was a pandaren warrior I once played whose home was destroyed due to the fighting in the Jade Forest (his grandparents’ memorial shrine with it) which left him fairly withdrawn, terse, and chilly-polite at best.

And it never failed to enrage players. Players, not their characters. I don’t know what it is but more and more I’ve observed that more players than I recall are fundamentally unable to accept someone else’s character being frosty to theirs, or even just stoic, without getting defensive. I’m not a psychologist and its pure speculation but I wonder if a lot of people come into this with the goal of gratification via the submission of someone else to their needs, whatever they may be; and, encountering resistance, frustration quickly boils over.

Another example: I was loitering on a DK who had a fairly nasty sense of humor and a cynical world view, not to mention suspicious of the Ebon Blade. So when another DK player-character, an Ebon Blade, approached him and started insulting/ordering him to be quiet, he gave her the verbal equivalent of a middle finger.

Player whispers me moments after with something to the effect of “Why are you so angry???” I gave no indication of being angry OOC; in fact I said nothing in either direction because I assumed they, who initiated in the first place, understood the separation.

So, yeah, surly characters never work out for me.

3 Likes

I heavily skew toward characters who like other people, or at least fake it well, for pretty much this reason. A lot of players really want their characters to be liked, and don’t like having their IC flaws pointed out even if they’re a deliberate choice.

This isn’t a “terrible” concept, but I have a lot of fun with characters who are nakedly pathetic and in want of approval, and I think this same OOC dynamic is why it works.

1 Like

Warchef Garnish Hellskitchen, Gourmand of the one true Orc Cuissine.

8 Likes

A long time ago, my old guild used to sponsor “Bad RP Night.” We’d encourage people to show up with the worst RP ideas possible. This would fit right in.

This also makes me wish for a chef hat transmog.

4 Likes

Sleepwalking/talking druids.

I need more of them in my life please and thank you.

1 Like

A not-your-average male human paladin. :banana:

A self-proclaimed Tel’Abim Bananadin, who was the author of a short series of Damp Diary Pages that were found in bottles that washed ashore around Azeroth. He recently returned to society, thanks to Battle for Azeroth island adventures.

He is a paladin dressed in the gaudy full Classic Lawbringer set, who was stranded on the Tel’Abim isle from early TBC to the end of Legion and went mildly insane.

Ridiculous concept inspired by the following junk items:

6 Likes

A Defias paladin. Basically a crazed vigilante in the mold of Robin Hood, but with shiny armor and the Light as moral validation.

Fools! Our cause is righteous!

5 Likes