Your first character

I would like to know the story behind your first character. I’m always one for a good story. Me personally, my friends got me into Warcraft and I started off somewhere in the beginning of Burning Crusade. I first made a Tauren Warrior. I was a completed nublet and had no idea what I was doing so I ended up picking the staff from the Wailing Caverns quest chain because it had a higher damage per second than the 1 hand sword that the quest also offered. Then, my friends made me aware that the staff was not really the best option for a warrior. I deleted the character because I thought I had completely ruined that toon… again I was a nublet. Then, I made a Blood Elf Paladin that I named Itachiuchiha. I was playing him until level 20ish on my computer in the lobby of a hotel when a dude walked by and saw I was playing Warcraft. He asked me if I had good reception and what my character’s name was. When he saw the character name he kind of replied, “oh…” and then just walked off. Lol, at the time I was embarrassed so again I deleted the character. Then, I made an orc warrior named Orcster because I thought it sounded like gangster. I was in highschool… calm down. I leveled him all the way to 70 to become a failed tank in my guild. I decided PvP was much more fun so from then on I switched from Arms for PvP to fury for raiding whenever I could manage an invitation…

So what’s your story? I’d love to know.

7 Likes

I tried out the game on my friend’s account for about an hour back in 2006 I think. I rolled a mage and played to maybe level 4, then I also played his level 30 Shaman in Arathi Basin. I was instantly hooked and bought the game shortly after.

I decided to roll an Undead Mage on the same server as him, naturally. I cannot remember the name of that character or the server. Only managed to reach somewhere in the 40s before we re-rolled on another server with some more friends.

This new character became my first level 60 and we did a lot of raiding back in the day. I do remember more details on this, it was a Troll Rogue named Dionysus on Hakkar.

1 Like

I started back in late Classic, it was a few months before BC was gonna launch. My Father was the one who told me about the game, it sounded interesting to me so I tried it. My first character was a Tauren Druid. Later on I decided I wanted to try out the Alliance, so I made a Human Paladin. I ended up leveling that Paladin to max and mained her until BC launched. After the launch of BC I went ahead and made a Blood Elf Hunter and that’s when I found my favorite class!

1 Like

Oh boy, this will sound lame but here we go.

I thought the undead would be a cool race to play for several reasons.

The BFA cinematic was my first real look at World of Warcraft and since Sylvanas is undead yet could turn the tide of a battle around, I wanted to play on that team.

I tooled around with Olak here to make him look like something off of a heavy metal album: an undead viking warrior from hell. This is the first screen shot of one of Olak’s adventures and as you can see he looks just like that.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiiYFpfkLUK-gVapAW00PBF0zw2H

I didn’t really understand at first the differences within the warrior class (prot, fury, arms) so I started off with arms but kept dying a lot. I switched to prot and it worked for me. I’ve run with prot ever since and won’t change for the world now.

9 Likes

Started a druid back in October 2006. Still have said druid, but at level 110 waiting for patch 8.1.

Word of mouth from a coworker about WoW, as I heard of it, but never played it back then. At the time, I was almost finished with Valkyrie profile II on the PS2. Once I started playing WoW, I never looked back and never played, or finished VPII ever again.

1 Like

That’s a great picture lol

My first toon was undead mage made a few months before the launch of BC. He was actually based on a pen-and-paper RPG mage of mine who died in a glorious fiery mage explosion. I felt it was appropriate to resurrect him in this universe.

Thanks. It captures perfectly how overwhelmed a very new Olak felt at having adventure after adventure after adventure taking him all over the place :smiley:

I was a Hunter.

I was a Night Elf Hunter.

I was that Night Elf Hunter. I was bad.

I don’t know how long it took me to figure out a real rotation, or having my pet engage first. I do recall my original fight style: Pull with my bow, and shoot it as many times as I could before it hit the dead-zone, then have my pet help me as I meleed it down.

I made a Mage cry by rolling “need” on a blue staff from Scarlet Monastery because it was an upgrade for me.

I once traumatized a Gnome in Ironforge by jumping/flipping over him in my Warbear Woolies.

Eventually, I got a handle on stats, rotation, and gearing. But I unwittingly inhabited that space of being a “Huntard” for a long time before I got there.

That toon is long gone.

1 Like

I played the old games up to frozen throne. I thought wow looked neat for years and never played. Then I watched someone play and was like I’ll try the trial. I was a forsaken warlock, Shartazia. I leveled her fast, got hooked on the forsaken story right away. She has since used her demonic gifts to return to life as a Blood Elf and is wondering if she’ll get much time in BFA. I’ve been enjoying mage more the last few expansions

2 Likes

We’ve all been that hunter at point or another xD

1 Like

Ohhhhhhh boy this was a long time ago. A female tauren hunter I think. But I was an idiot and kept thinking I was losing characters when really I was logging onto different servers. Oops

3 Likes

II didn’t know what to pick from GameStop so I looked in the cd section and saw the classic box art and something seemed cool about it so I asked my mom to get it for me as I was 12 or so at the time… I came from dinner later on and had a dwarf hunter sitting there in the icy world of dun morogh and his name was Ailoway… found it fun to shoot a gun and had a big huge epic beard that made me feel like a beast. Didn’t even know I could get a pet until I got the quest for taming and I decided I’d take my greatest foe I encountered a white wolf with a silver border :slight_smile: a rare. I remember being one hit away from death and quickly running around collecting meat for my new friend. Me and him went all the way to max together. Good times

Edit: I actually decided to walk back to the spot where I found my wolf and realized it was the frozen lake where gnomeragan is now. Timber

4 Likes

i’ve had a dwarf prot paladin named meccah on both of my accounts. my first account from vanilla i abandoned as i thought i was gonna stop playing the game. the current version of him is now on moonguard at lefvel 112 as i’ve mostly switched my main to this warlock. i think this version of meccah was made in wrath when i came back from a long break. i’ve rerolled meccah on like 100 different servers it feels like. i just relevel the same one after i deleted the first. trying to find a good server. he was my only toon for a long time. my mom asked me today why i used to tank so much and don’t anymore. and that’s entirely because i switched mains to a pure dps class. i still tank holiday bosses and stuff on my alts but it’s no longer my passion. when they changed what the models looked like i almost deleted him AGAIN. his santa beard (old models) was one of my favorite things about him. he wasn’t the same. but my bff told me to just sit on it and see if i got used to it. the orc model and tauren model change didn’t bother me nearly as much. in general the horde got it better. alliance have things like male nelf being terrible. i’m now afraid for the worgen revamp because i just made a new toon (worgen feral druid) that i am quite fond of. stupid blizz ruining everyones fun. :frowning:

1 Like

This Draenei was made fun of by her player in the character creator, and called me Syllai because I looked so silly.

:sob:

But I won my player over with my adorable /silly emote and my squeaky noises during combat. I just turned level 40 today!

3 Likes

The year was 2007, January. Winter held us in its unforgiving icy grip. A dark time, a cold time. Food was scarce and survival was harsh. We lost many good men that year to the wolves and even more supplies to treacherous roads…but I digress.

In my solitude I stumbled upon a curious game called World of Warcraft. I had by that point been playing WC3 long before so I was well familiar it. Verily my expectations were low, but boredom was high. So I logged on to WoW.

I defaulted to a human warrior, a safe choice I believed. Valdren was his name. I adventured in Elwynn Forest for a brief time. I stole candles from kobolds and slayed bandits. I feasted on boars and was in turn slain by murlocs. Oh the murlocs… Alas, at level 10 I lost interest and went to play another class. Only the strong make it out of that forest, and he was found to be unworthy.

6 Likes

grats on 40! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do agree there, I loved the older male dwarf models much more. The female dwarves I think definitely became playable after the revamp though. I’m not so sure about making orcs standing upright. I keep my hunched over. Gives me a nostalgic feeling I guess.

old male dwarf master race! and as far the hunch ofc all my guys are hunchbacks. IMO they look stupid af standing upright. i actually changed dekkar for a few hours and wouldn’t post on him for a couple of days on the forums because his avatar looked so stupid and i was embarrassed for people to see him. :expressionless:

2 Likes

So I joined sometime during BC, back when shamans could be tanks for dungeons and leveling took months. I’m not really sure when, exactly, because nothing from endgame really mattered all that much.
I do know that I hit level 55 on my priest the night Wrath dropped, along with my buddy, who was maining a Fury warrior. We rolled Death Knights and he switched to that as his main for a while, but I went back to the priest because he’s completely feckless without a pocket healer. :stuck_out_tongue:

But my first character, after much consternation, was an Orc hunter. I knew nothing about WoW or its lore or its mechanics, and had spent a lot of time playing Dungeons & Dragons Online back when it was actually subscription-based. I originally planned to play “a Dwarf priest with a gun” but priests couldn’t use guns, and even though a priest could be an engineer and use bombs, I wanted to play something with a rifle, because that wasn’t something that DDO’s high fantasy setting supported. Also, all my friends who had convinced me to try WoW played Horde. So I rolled my Orc hunter.
I immediately (well, at level 5) ran all the way across the Barrens, getting killed by thunder lizards and angry hyenas, in order to buy a rifle. I’m not sure if there was anyone that sold them in Orgrimmar at that point, but Bloodhoof Village in Mulgore had a vendor, which my buddy (who’d just rolled a Tauren warrior, who was to be the same one I leveled my priest alongside) found while doing his own intro quests. So I ran over there, got the flight point, and we both ran all the way back to Razor Hill, dying to Quilboar a couple of times because he couldn’t fly back to Orgrimmar.
But I had my rifle, and got my hunter high enough to start mucking about in the Barrens properly, mining copper and making the blunderbusses that were an item you needed for a later quest in Ashenvale. I sold them on the Auction House in order to make enough money for my first mount.

I dinked around with some other classes, making a Blood Elf mage and a Troll priest that I only by chance happened to be logged onto during Brewfest when a high-level friend of ours offered to run us through Wailing Caverns. My hunter was higher level and wouldn’t have benefitted much, so my buddy (still on his Tauren) and I got smashed at Brewfest before walking all the way to Wailing Caverns completely drunk. Making the older version of the jump across the chasm was really interesting when your screen is blurred and the FOV is readjusted and you can’t run straight, let me tell you.
It was then that I really fell back into love with healing. I played a cleric and a bard in DDO, and really liked the healing playstyle. Even though we had a high-level friend running us through everything, we couldn’t see things very well because we’d gotten smashed and we kept accidentally pulling things. My buddy would helpfully hit them in the face to keep them from killing me, while I healed him to keep them from killing him. We leveled all the way to 80 that way, him facepulling usually too many things and me healing him because if he died, I would be quickly next. :stuck_out_tongue: I switched to the priest and left the hunter in his 30s for a while, and though I later race-changed the priest to an undead when I was doing a lot of PvP in Wrath, I still have both him and my hunter. I started preferring my shaman during late Wrath and he’s now my main, but I had a great time on my “first” characters. :wink:

3 Likes