Your Character's Lineage

My wife and I were discussing our characters and the topic came up that we’ve never discussed who their parents were or where they came from, and so I propose to you guys the question because I would love to hear about it!

If you haven’t thought to much about it, that’s ok, too! Let me know what you think their parents might look like or be.

:]

6 Likes

Well my character here grew up as a orphan among Defias brotherhood (The bad parts of it mostly)

However, his real parents were of kul’tiran folk, only thing he has of remembrance of his parents or even of his original family, is mostly shadows and mystery.

Most he can gather from the locals of Boralus, is that his parents were an odd couple, his mother a trader and his father a mercenary. but alas he could not gather more from them, so he journey’s around kul’tiras to see if he can find out more about them, just hope that he can find out who he came from.

5 Likes

My father was a shepherd, and my Mother was a golden retriever. Unfortunately, she couldn’t ever “retrieve” my father. Fortunately, she re-married a nice corgi and I turned out alright in the end.

8 Likes

I grew up in Lordaeron. I was the daughter of poor farmers and they were very proud of me when at a fairly early age I showed some aptitude for using the Light. I studied as a priest initially but showed aptitude for weapon use so I focused on that for awhile before combining the two in training to be a paladin.

I was away when Arthas did his dirty deed. When I heard about it, I returned home when it was safe, but found no sign of my parents. I left dejectedly. Eventually I found them again.

They were Forsaken. They were glad I had escaped their fate, but asked me to never see them again.

I would guess that they are refugees in Orgrimmar now, but I will never know.

5 Likes

Zirahael comes from a long line of ancestors known for two things; fighters and bakers.

Her great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great 9000 year old grandmother is currently a huntress in the sentinel army, known for being a great beastslayer.
Her mother has her own bakery with some centuries of experience as a sentinel, and her father is a natural conservationist working closely with the Cenarion Circle.

Zirahael does occasionally send gold back to her parents through mail, but thankfully, none of them actually knows of Zirahael’s dealings with the Illidari, thinking she is still a sentinel off on some far away quest.

2 Likes

Xiano’s father was a Burning Blade Warlock and his mother a Laughing Skull Shaman, his Grandfather was an Elder Blademaster who he is learning more and more about as time passes on.

2 Likes

I write down all my characters’ parentage for my own reference lol, though I do not go into crazy detail. I always think that it is important to know your character’s beginnings and from where they came. :slight_smile: I have too many characters to mention them all, but Jac here was “raised” in a brothel until the age of about three where her mother dropped her off at the local orphanage. Her mother told them that Jac’s father may be of noble blood, but the claim has and probably will always be unsubstantiated. Jacquell remembers what her mom looks like - tall, raven hair, dark eyes, and tan sunkissed skin.

2 Likes

Being born into the Amani Tribe Azi’s parents were a Flameweaver/priest of Jan’alai father and a headhunter mother. He has an older brother who followed in their father’s footsteps while Azi split off to become a berserker.

Though he doesn’t know how they died, he is aware that both his parents are dead. Despite how close they were as children, Azi and his brother are currently estranged due to Azi’s undeath and his brothers superstition.

Neither have made an effort to bridge the gap.

2 Likes

Zhaoyang’s parents are both Monks, Pingyang and Quan. They are the current heads of the Isle lineage, dating back to the Pandaren hero Ju the Blind.

The Cloudpaw clan itself dates back to the Zandalari Wars where the clan’s Pandriarch, Chao, abandoned his life as a farmer to join his soon to be wife in the fight against the Trolls. The Cloudpaw clan had since formed a long and deep history in the martial sciences, forming a great alliance of similar martial families; the Cloudpaw Shao’din. The Shao’din has since fractured over time, due to a variety of things, and are not as numerable or well known as before.

The Isle lineage enjoys a small amount of local appreciation due to many members and affiliates of the family contributing to the protection of Mandori Village and its Temple of Five Dawns. More recently the clan has also contributed to the strength of the Order of the Broken Temple. Pingyang Cloudpaw oversees most of these endeavors as well as the training of Monks abroad.

I have a few other characters with familial backgrounds this deep as well.

4 Likes

Perfectia Dawnlight’s parents are a bit up in the air on who the father is. As far as she knows is she was born out of wedlock from a slave or servant that worked in her noble house in Dawnstar Village. I wanted her father to be Lirath Windrunner but I’m a little unsure where it would fit in the timeline on how Perfectia Dawnlight could be conceived.

The way I’ve written is that Talanas Windrunner (The father of the Windrunner sisters) Had tried to set up Lirath with Perfectia Dawnlight’s mother Kel’Donas Dawnlight. But know one really knows what there meeting could have been like. But they were set up for a reason. Perfectia’s grandfather, Kel’Magnus Dawnlight the Navy General of Silvermoon felt that if there house’s were combined they could take the Sunburst Throne from the Sunstrider’s by force if need be.

Talanas wanted Lirath to marry someone high on the nobility latter but also felt that it was fate that Kel’Magnus, in his thousands of years of life, only had sons, and only one daughter. Talanas only had daughters and one son.

Kel’Magnus’s ultimate plan once he was on the Sunburst throne was to invade Uldum and enslave it’s people so they could make another Sunwell. Even with the Night Elves objections he felt with the titan’s technology they could easily deter any would be invaders.

Kel’Donas also knew of this plan but followed through with it for personal reasons. Those reasons being that she was becoming less and less comfortable on how her father looked at her and the things he would say to her. Also how she had repeatedly failed to charm or even seduce any of the Sunstrider’s.

Ultimately Talanas Windrunner found out about Kel’Magnus’s plan and passed this information to his daughters. But I can’t really say what may have happened in the meeting with Kel’Donas Dawnlight and Lirath Windrunner, but Lirath died and Kel’Donas…

She told her father that she was with child, that she needed comforting after Lirath died, and it was from one of there slaves. With her bringing a bastard into the family there was no way she could be arranged to be married to any of the Sunstriders but she ultimately did it so her father wouldn’t force her into an [arranged] marriage.

Perfectia’s mother is named Kel’Donas Dawnlight and is a mage, a tailor, and author. Kel’Donas was a quarter Valarjar or Vrykul and Perfectia’s mother remembered her mother dying fairly early at about 200 years for being a half breed. Kel’Donas Dawnlight raised Perfectia somewhat neglectfully even though she did care deeply for her until about the age of 8.

When Arthas Medivh invaded and was claiming to come to destroy the Sunwell she knew that because of her Vrykul blood that she would not survive if he was successful. So she gave Perfectia to the slave that had conceived her and told him that she was there daughter and to take her someplace safe.

Moderator: Edited to remove questionable content. Please adhere to the code of conduct when posting.

2 Likes

Ju was born into a brewing family, known to specialize in winemaking. Ju’s mother was once a Monk, belonging to a rich martial heritage. For one reason or another she has long discouraged her children from such a career, prompting Ju to leave home to get her martial education.

Despite that rift between her mother, Wen Yi, and herself, Ju has since set out to support her family when she can and is proud of her lineage.

4 Likes

Myorga’s mother died mysteriously from a sudden illness when she was only 14, but she remembers well that her mother explicitly said Myorga was named for her grandmother, Annette Blackwall, who is unconfirmed to be related to the same Blackwall family that held nobility before the fall of Gilneas. All she really knows is that she’s a daughter of Gilneas and she will die before she fails her King or Anduin.

3 Likes

Oliver Wyndford here grew up in one of the the poorer neighborhoods of Gilneas running errands and his parents sweet shop to help keep a roof over his family’s head and to pay for his ailing mother’s medicine as his father tragically passed away from an accident working on the docks as a second job. At 16,his mother finally slipped away from her affliction and taught his siblings how to replicate the sweets and run the shop as he had been enlisted in joining the Gilnean Army which he hoped would also help support them. He’s currently 33 and was afflicted with the curse at 29. He looks at himself now and how far he’s come hoping to be able to protect and support those he hold dear friend and new addition to the family alike as a soldier.

4 Likes

I have thought about such things at length so beware.

My character is Standhaft Garithos. His father was Baron Othmar Garithos and his mother was Lady Leliana Manstein. Othmar is a canon character, but Leliana is a fanon character created by myself and another roleplayer, Erich Manstein, with whom I agreed to RP as relatives. Leliana was his sister which made his character my uncle. He doesn’t play anymore, but I maintain the essence of his character in my fanfiction which is, in essence, that he was an influential noble, a man of piety, a patriot, and he died a hero’s death beyond the dark portal. He was a good RPer and I hope he’s doing alright out there.

Othmar: moon-guard.fandom(dot)com/wiki/Othmar_Garithos

Leliana: moon-guard.fandom(dot)com/wiki/Leliana_Manstein_Garithos

Of course, my fanfiction deviates from canon lore, as is the nature of fanfiction. The history on Leliana’s page better tells the relevant story of their relationship.

PAST

Growing up in the harsh household of her father was a terribe burden upon the young and fantasical Leliana. Born shortly before the onset of the First War, Leliana grew up looking upon the harsh and stern faces of her eldest brother, Erich, and her father; both of which were committed to the war effort. Her other two brothers, Marius and Arminius shared her youthful gaiety and they took solace in one another’s company. Unfortunately, however, the young noblewoman’s world would be shattered when the family was forced to flee during the sacking of Stormwind. The route took the life of her brother, Arminius, and she was forced to flee as a young girl to Lordaeron.

Spending many of her early years at the home of her mother’s family, the House of Cartres in Northdale, Lordaeron, Leliana fell in love with the lush forests and green hills surrounding Stratholme. It was during this time, as a teenage girl, that she meet the boisterous Othmar Garithos. Although normally a man of seriousness and intense industry, the harsh Baron of Blackwood took a fancy to the beautiful young girl and requested her hand in marriage from the scion of the House of Manstein, now the eldest brother, Erich Gottfried Manstein.

Agreeing to the union, a date was set and shortly after the end of the Second War the couple were married. Soon after, at the young age of seventeen, Leliana produced her first and only child, Standhaft Garithos. Ultimately, however, the dour and serious nature of her overbearing husband would prove too much for the adventurous young girl. Othmar, himself finding less and less interest in anything other than his career, purchased a manor for her to reside in within Stormwind’s Mage District and allowed her reside there on a continual basis provided that their son, Standhaft, be sent to live and train under him during the summers.

PRESENT DAY

Having raised her son to adulthood and, much to her slight regret, watching him grow much like his late father, Leliana has long since resigned herself to the life of a noble widow in Stormwind. Her husband, in his death, left her nothing but the manor he purchased years ago and she currently lives off a generous allowance from her elder brother, Erich. Content to remain removed from the many varied political affairs her brother involves herself in, she contents herself with the many dinners, balls, and galas oft thrown by the nobility of Stormwind. Engaging much of her energy, Leliana also volunteers regularly at the Stormwind Orphanage and takes great pleasure in entertaining the young children with her many fantasical stories and fables.

Leliana still remains quite close to her son, when he finds the time to visit her in Stormwind. Despite the outer resemblance he carries both physically and mentally to his father, Leliana senses an inner softness to his heart that she desperately seeks to nourish and groom. As for her brother, her relationship with him has remained distant, for she has come to view him more and more as the embodiment of her ever strict father.

3 Likes

Antimar’s lineage is originally derived the Highborne caste. House Lightriver was once distinguished early in the Kaldorei Empire’s history by their prowess in warfare, both in matters martial and magical. The House became prominent in various places throughout Kalimdor.

In addition to their martial and magical legacies they were also known to have a history of promiscuity, which in some cases threatened their status amongst peers. It also meant that those bearing the name Lightriver were quite numerable. This was even more of a double edged sword during the War of the Ancients than before as the House was split rather chaotically.

After the war survivors of the house split even more. Some worked to integrate into the bulk of surviving Kaldorei society, others followed Dath’remar Sunstrider in exile and a very small minority struck out on their own; having been alienated by the majority due to their blanket resentment of both the higher castes and the arcane. Still others became trapped in Suramar due to the Grand Magistrix’ efforts to protect the city.

Antimar’s particular lineage is those who integrated into what has become modern Kaldorei society. Her father, a bard of sorts, is the carrier of this lineage. Through Antimar’s mother and elder sister, and to some extent Antimar herself, the family has become well established in the Sisterhood of Elune and Sentinel army, maintaining at least a portion of House Lightriver’s old martial legacy.

I have other characters bearing the Lightriver name as well; most of which are old members of the original House, along with some who are other descendants of the what the House became.

3 Likes

Funny, that’s exactly what my description reads.

:slightly_smiling_face::neutral_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth::scream:

BABY? BABY GIRL? IS THAT YOU? OH GOD, I FOUND MY DAUGHTER AT LONG LAST! :sob::sob::sob::sob:

Raven’s Player: “Okay, no. That is not your child.”

MOMMY IS HERE! MOMMY WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU AGAIN!

“That Woman is clearly the same age as you. Hell, I think she might be a year older.”

WE CAN BE A FAMILY AGAIN!

“You were infertile before the curse. It’s why your mother treated you badly. This is all explained in your backstory.”

MY BABY HAS COME HOME!

“I know I’m talking to myself here but am I freaking talking to myself right now? THIS IS NOT YOUR CHILD, YOU WINE SWIGGING WEIRDO!”

5 Likes

Zhihao is the last surviving heir to the Winterclaw clan. The Winterclaw, and their supporting families, were originally vassals of the Cloudpaw Shao’din; specifically concerned with assassination and espionage.

The Winterclaws began with a Pandriarch whose true name has been lost to time, replaced with the title Dongjiden. During the rise of the Pandaren Rebellion a group of slaves destined for the Serpent’s Spine managed to escape their masters. Fearing recapture the slaves, led by Pandriach Winterclaw, fled into the high mountains of Kun-Lai. The perilous weather of the high peaks helped ensure their safety from the Mogu but was excessively difficult to survive in. In time Winterclaw and several others desperately sought aid in their situation. Eventually they discovered the elemental spirits residing in the area.

The discovery of the elements led them to broker a covenant with lordly elementals of the region. In their service the escaped slaves managed to craft a more comfortable living in the mountains, eventually forming the families that came to make up the clan. Several members eventually became students of Kang and took his teachings to the early clan after the death of Lao-fe. In the following years the Winterclaws developed a mission to ensure that the Mogu didn’t rise to power again.

The clan’s fall occurred just a few years ago. The Winterclaws, along with other members of the Cloudpaw Shao’din, discovered a small but growing cabal of Mogu clans and waged an invisible war. The conflict ended with the mutual destruction of both factions in a final assault at the Winterclaw’s home.

Some survivors of the attack, including Zhihao’s sister Yao, gathered under her leadership to form a resurgence under the influence of a mysterious warlock; becoming the Dreadclaw. This group was dissolved following losing battles against the Steelpaw clan, mysterious assassinations, and the clan itself splitting due to differing loyalties. There are still some uncorrupted members of the clan, but most are still scattered or have since taken up new allegiances.

3 Likes

The funny thing is, due to the way my altaholism works, my characters inevitably end up in this interconnected web of acquaintance and friendship and rivals. I have SEVERAL parent-child character combos.

For this character, Jonathan Harmarth, I actually have four generations of the family rolled in-game. Three of those men are undead, at least RP-wise.

My Orc Shaman is the daughter of my Orc Warrior.

The Tauren Druid I deleted ages ago (but is still canon) because I just can’t pull off her RP gimmick in a satisfying way is the mother of my Tauren Death Knight; and a friend of mine’s Tauren Warrior sort of accidentally ended up that Death Knight’s brother, due to us coincidentally picking the same last name, and the Death Knight did canonically have a brother I never characterized.

I also have a few pairs of siblings among my own characters; my Blood Elf Paladin and Demon Hunter are brothers, as are my Orc Warlock and Rogue.

2 Likes

Ok, help me understand this.

Perfectia’s mom is a quarter Vrykul? Is that where the booty comes from?
Whose Arthas Medivh? Is Medivh his middle name? How does work?

so my deathknight backstory actually subverts this by amnesia.
after being raised into undeath allot of her thoughts where muddied. memories where distorted only replaced with rage and an insatiable hunger for inflicting pain.

1 Like