Your Character's First Job

So, this is actually something I’m curious about since it can come up occassionally in RP.

What was your character’s first actual job in their life? Were they a guard, soldier, cook, merchant? Possibly a lowly gnomish rat catcher who became a superb engineer?

6 Likes

Taran hasn’t ever had a job? It has pretty much always been him with his mercenary group but I don’t think that would be classified as a job. But my first ever RP job ever on a character was that my Mage worked at The Scribe’s Scallum in Dalaran and it was fun, I always loved that shop it was very nice.

2 Likes

Never thought about it, but probably a gem polisher. She’s a bit of a snob for jewelry and is obsessed with rubies. So maybe that sparked her interest?

3 Likes

Nog’roc probably would have soe t his younger years collecting scrap in orgrimmar or working as a grunt.

2 Likes

Thanks to nepotism, Tam was just about to start her internship at the Kaja Cola trading company… then the Cataclysm happened.

Her first ever legit job was I think working as a promotional model at some market event.

2 Likes

Jian started as a shoe cobbler, because that was the family trade. He was also learning the ways of the monk under his father’s nose, so technically he had two first jobs.

3 Likes

While she was an apprentice to her aunt, she was more or less just a servant, but she wasn’t actually paid so I don’t know if that’d qualify. Her first real job was with a Goblin mercenary group based out of Ratchet - she needed the experience in spellwork, even if she wasn’t fond of combat, and she wasn’t joining the military.

1 Like

This character’s first job was being a saloon girl in Gilneas, dancing and singing. Then she worked for another character as a bartender in her first job after the fall of Gilneas, and the rest is history! She has been a bartender ever since, now under her own management.

2 Likes

Learning to Holy :tm: in the Silver Hand Bastion.
Then helping shore up the defenses of Hearthglen.
… Then learning to Holy :tm: more, until he finally finished up.

The first and last bit are more training than anything, though.

2 Likes

Sarestha’s first job was actually being a Squire to a Lordaeronian Paladin, who later became a part of the Scarlet Crusade. She eventually became a Paladin of the Scarlet Crusade herself.

2 Likes

Thinning out Scourge in the Ghostlands.

3 Likes

Stable hand.

3 Likes

A dang, dirty thief! shakes keg staff at mirror

2 Likes

After being risen as undead…

Gathering herbs for an alchemist mage.
(Probably at the Sepulcher in Silverpine Forest?)

He sent her farther out, for more exotic herbs, and then she got lost one day, ending up in Orgrimmar, tripped on a spiny lizard, got a concussion and forgot all about her duties and herb jobs.

She still carries herbs around in her bags, and feels compelled to collect similar-looking things, such as weeds and driftwood. She seems to think all are very important!

IS PROUD OF DRIFTWOODS!

::CLINGS TO THE DRIFTWOOD::

4 Likes

Impressed as a cabin ‘boy’ to pay a debt.

2 Likes

Rae’s very, very first job was working in a bakery.

1 Like

He came from a wealthy family, he was a student of geology and was expected to take control of his family’s mines. He was an average student and spent most of his time in drunken brawls or trying to impress female classmates with his drug and alcohol tolerance and bullying arcane studies majors

2 Likes

Xiuying was originally preparing to be a farmer to follow in the footsteps of her family before she went to train at the Crane Temple. But neither of those are really jobs, though the latter brought her into her first, and still current, real job: Being a courier for the temples of Pandaria, running messages and mail to, from, and between.

3 Likes

sint was a squire to her eldest brother, santo, and worked on the greymane wall as a guard.

1 Like

A lot of my characters are part of a legacy that entails the career they currently have. Zhaoyang, the main character portrayed by this Monk, and Ju, my Horde Pandaren Warrior, are perhaps the most notable ones to deviate from this.

Zhao was meant to become a Monk but never finished her training due to her handicap and ended up taking a career that compensated for it.

Ju was meant to be Brewer but purposely abandoned her life to train in the jungle.

My main Death Knight, Sinothyr/Bremuleth, was a Blacksmith in life; before starting the adventuring career that ultimately led her to where she is now.

Addendum: Another Monk character of mine, Liangyu, a Priestess of Xuen, was originally an Assassin. She more or less retired after her clan was decimated in a conflict against the Mogu.

2 Likes