Your changes to arena ratings and rating requirements are killing arenas:

Blizzard! Please put arenas back to the way they were in original TBC! I did not sign up for retail like arenas, I signed up for the arenas as they were in TBC. Your change to arenas is forcing down the entire rating where the majority of players will fall between 1100 and 1300 rating. This is bad as the majority will not be able to get their hands on arena gear in a reasonable time. Tbc arena design was done to ENCOURAGE participation. Your changes DISCOURAGE participation.

Just put the starting rating back to 1500 and remove rating requirements on first season’s weapons.

46 Likes

They’ve made it pretty clear at this point that we arent going to get the original TBC experience we desire. Instead we get Shadowlands: TBC Edition, complete with paid mount, character boosts, “balance changes”, and Merc Mode.

42 Likes

Before they announced the plan to have a rating requirement for all arena gear, tons of people were, in so many words, talking about their plan to afk their way to arena gear, so I am afraid I am skeptical that any significant number of the people protesting that were actually that interested in participating in arenas.

9 Likes

You’re right OP, tho I’ll also add that it’s not entirely Blizz to blame here but also partly the community who feels they need Blues PvP sets before they can enter the arena at all.

IMO it’s the stupidest thing I have ever seen; this completely idiotic idea of needing Pre-content BiS is just unbelievably stupid and kills participation just as much as blizzard’s badly thought out changes.

6 Likes

This is just nonsense. You really think a group of 5 would all be afk in an arena to lose their way to gear? You need to play at least 10 games to qualify for points, an AFK team would drop by at least 100 in rating to 1400 or below and lose out on a ton of arena points. It makes more sense to just try for 10 games, and if you win half of the games you maintain your 1500 rating and get a lot more points.

IMO, most likely what would happen, is people would try, if they lost too many games, they would disband, reform the team, and try again until they got a few more wins than losses to maximize the amount of points they got in arena each week. Yes, I get its pay gold to get arena gear faster, but its way better to have more people participating in Arenas than the stale Arena we have now.

IMO, the devs of TBC had it right the first time.

5 Likes

yeah the problem isnt people afking rating lol. The rating is slow AF below 1500 anyway. the problem is that the entire ladder is transposed to a lower average rating, so actual players aren’t getting the appropriate points for their skill level / effort.

7 Likes

I was talking to an arena veteran since TBC and played Arenas up through Mist. He is not the best but he usually gets up to around 1900 rating and was able to push up to 1900 rating on private servers for TBC, he and his partner in 2s is stuck at 1600 rating and has only barley touched 1700 rating. This means that the entire Arena rating for most players was dragged down by ~200-300 points.

1 Like

Arena teams themselves are killing arenas. Team hopping is more punishing in TBC than any other expansion, and causes a ton of people to simply sit on their main team and never queue the game outside of that.

Activision should have copy-pasted Retails arena personal rating/MMR system where you don’t need to be locked to a team for any reason. For all of Retails downfalls, their Arena queue system is infinitely better than the team-based queue system we have now.

1 Like

yeah im pretty sure thats the case. Have to figure that the lack of fresh 1500 teams injecting rating into the 1400-1600 range is majorly affecting the way the ladder looks.

I’m all for blaming blizzard for everything bad imaginable, but out of all those, Balance changes are the only thing that will ever affect you personally.

They should have left it alone and left it exactly like it was in TBC.

This is TBC Retail.

5 Likes

We really only have the players to blame for this. If we didn’t have si much exploitive nonsense through Classic, they probably would have left TBC alone. But no… People need their “max HpH” and their lame pre-mades. It’s not a stretch at all to think we wouldn’t have a bunch of players who’d try to cheese the arena system for their weapon.

Good on Blizzard for being oroactive.

You can’t be serious with this comment.

TBC arenas were fine the way they were implemented originally. The new changes discourage participation in arenas. Yes I know people would do arenas simply for the weapons, but unless you go hard in arenas and are winning more than you lose, it will still take quite a bit of time to get them.

1 Like

The new method discourages people from repeadedly reforming teams with the intent to lose over and over.

This behavior did exist then. The rediculousness we saw during Classic indicates that this behavior would be “meta” for the sheep who don’t want to work for their gear.

people doing that “meta” strat would be less than half way to their weapon right now if they lost every game.

1 Like

I’ll preface by saying I’m a terrible PvP’er and don’t PvP much.

I wouldn’t go back into arenas, at least 2v2, without more res. Every other team is rogue/mage and I just feel like me or my teammate get globalled lol

Yeah, and they’d still do it… Probably while complaining about their slow gains.

1 Like

And? So the system gets to be screwed in general just to keep some people from getting like one item every season by reforming every week?

It seems like it works fine if you’re playing as intended.

1 Like

Wow you just dont understand the concept of a MMORPG I guess. Anything that impacts others players impacts you.

1 Like