You just couldn't resist it, could you Blizzard? Torghast was too good to be true, so you had to add a timer

I am so glad the forums have an ignore feature.

Sad to hear but yeah Blizz probably is pushing a deadline for them to suddely slap a timer on Torghast.

Sad but true. It feels like a repeat of BFA.

2 Likes

Uhh, no.

They specifically stated why Torments are being added to the tower (which I’ll remind you, you won’t even see until you progress past level 10) and it had nothing to do with a ‘deadline’. It’s been implemented to make sure that folks don’t feel like they have to wait 10 minutes between every pull.

Why do I feel like the people who don’t want timers are the first ones to bail on Mythic+ runs.

I see what you’re saying here, but to me that’s the difference between a soft enrage and a hard enrage. In the end, that still means I’m paying attention to how long I’ve taken on the level.

I hear that as well, and that’s definitely better than the hard timer of M+ or vision sanity ticking down, but to me… that’s akin to a raid boss enraging and your raid being able to taunt ping pong him around and use immunities to eek out an extra 10-20 seconds of kill chance.

In the end dude, I was looking forward to a dungeon crawl experience like I had in the past with this game. Something akin to the cata heroics, that had numerous very dangerous pulls that required you to respect the mechanics of the dungeon (or boss). Otherwise you’d just get plastered into the ground.

Instead… (and I know this isn’t it exactly) it sounds like we’re getting more content that’s going to only feel difficult because I know in the back of my head if I don’t multi-pull those mob packs, perfectly balance my CDs, and likely have friends there with me to rotate CDs with in order to increase my speed of clear… I’m not going to be progressing.

It’s yet again a case of, this isn’t the straw… but I’m definitely a sad panda seeing this.

Don’t generalize… I have multiple KSM’s (even this season when I’m not pushing I have multiple +18-20’s under my belt) and 3 CE’s. I’m not sure I’ve ever left a key early, unless they were blatantly obscene to me. I’m still against timers being added.

[edited because Blizz gave a tower update while I was at dinner.]

Having actually played Torghast on alpha, both before and after the addition of torments:

They suck.

They don’t make it meaningfully harder.
They don’t make you go faster.
They are annoying, and they force you to never go AFK.

I got 3 different Torments across a few different runs. One was a stacking fire DoT that my MM Hunter was able to outheal by bringing a Ferocity pet for the 10% leech and just fighting things. I was able to almost keep pace with it just from the leech healing by maintaining Mend Pet. One spawned an add, roughly on par with a nonelite trash mob( but with extra health), which was not threatening AT ALL, unless you were AFK. The third spawned two adds, again basic trash mobs with extra health, again completely nonthreatening provided you aren’t AFK.

If they want to make Torghast harder (and they should, it’s very easy right now once you have a bunch of powers), this is NOT the way to do it.

2 Likes

They don’t want you spending 10 hours a day in there waiting for cooldowns and lust between every pull.

The shills here will not let you get away with pure hands on experience like that.

2 Likes

They haven’t balanced the torments yet, hence why they’re collecting feedback on them. So, I’d expect them to change significantly as more of Torghast becomes available for testing.

So I read up there post on torments. And its almost exactly what I feared. They’d like the torments to put some pressure on a perfectly efficient group. Giving them some time to strategize and every now and then wait for a cooldown.

That’s exactly counter to what I’m looking for in this experience. I’m not interested in figuring out what is the most efficient method to clear this tower. I’d like to do my own thing at my own pace. I’m not interested in having the pace set by them tuning for method.

6 Likes

You can’t balance these things. A stacking fire DoT will always be trivial to a group run with a healer, or a class with strong self sustain, or a hybrid. Without those, it means you need to eat more, which makes it take LONGER completely counter to the stated purpose.

For the add spawns, they are either trivial annoyances (like current), or they are to be feared, but given the current seemingly random spawn timers they aren’t making you move faster, just preventing you from going AFK.

The scaling increased damage taken or decreased damage done have potential, but I haven’t had those pop up on any of my runs yet.

As I have said from the beginning, if you want people to go faster, give them a beneficial reason to go faster (like timed leaderboards with unique titles and cosmetics, extra loot, or bonus legendary mats), don’t punish people for taking it slow.

3 Likes

Then replace those cooldowns with a kill counter. Lets you hunt trash mobs to fuel your murder abilities and is thematically appropriate to the realm of death.

Voila. No timer necessary.

1 Like

Not feasible given the randomness of floor layouts. You have no way of knowing how many mobs are going to be on any given floor until it is loaded, and a kill counter to reset CDs penalizes CD based classes if they have things on CD and get to an elite with no more trash to kill.

If you put a kill counter on every CD over a minute or two, you’re generally fine. I don’t know any class who has any vital ability that has a CD longer than 45 seconds. But, it would make sure that the big emergency buttons aren’t used for just about every mob with 5 minute pauses in between.

Alternatively, you could instead make it a damage meter. Then you wouldn’t have the issue with elites, potentially, because their HP is likely through the roof anyway.

Or do none of those things, because there is no reason to penalize people for taking their time, and if you want to incentivize people to keep moving, using an actual incentive for speed (as opposed to disincentivizing slowness) is a better option.

3 Likes

It’s not penalizing people for taking their time at all. It explicitly allows you to take your time. You can take all the time you want.

Adreaver just tried it hands on in alpha and said you cant afk even to let your dog out for a bathroom break.

Timers suck. No one wants them.

Problem: Some people “abuse” the lack of timer to reset 10 minute cooldowns.

Solution: Introduce ‘ammunition’ for those abilities.

Nothing I posted suggests timers.

1 Like

I also suggested charges for major CDs, like a week ago, on the alpha forums.

Using damage done or a kill counter to get the cooldown back up is a terrible idea though.

10/cooldown charges per floor for any CD over 2 minutes would be fine by me, maybe with limited exceptions for some core key abilities.

3 Likes