You just couldn't resist it, could you Blizzard? Torghast was too good to be true, so you had to add a timer

Torghast is completely different, and as I’ve pointed out, again multiple times, these timers aren’t hard timers that kick you out like in Visions. Most players won’t even notice it. They’re just getting bitter and whingy because they heard the word ‘timer’.

Makes me wonder if they get salty when someone shows up with a stopwatch.

You’re absolutely right, there’s no psychological pressure to not explore and strategize, it doesnt get harder if you take your time, or if pressing real life matters make you stop your run temporarily. It’s just people complaining for the sake of complaining.

Yep, so well done on joining the ‘whinge’ crowd.

Feel free to take your ball and go play in another MMO, although fair warning, almost all of them use timers in their content too, both soft and hard timers. So you’re going to have a bad time if you’re trying to find a game that doesn’t use them.

Bye Felicia.

Why do people insist that if one person has an issue with something it is automatically the worst thing ever implemented in the game and blizzard should cater to them?

I play:
SWTOR
GW2
GTA Online
Pretty much on a weekly basis. Never had a situation in which a timer brought me angst in any of those games. But of course, none of them cost me a new game for an expansion that promises a procedurally generated dungeon in which i could theoretically lose myself in, just having fun exploring and finding all the secrets, only to, after my preorder, tell me that it was all a lie because the clock is ticking.

See the amount of likes to my OP and how many threads against this timer there are in the GD? sorry, you can’t downplay this as a “me” issue.

We agree that one of the best things about Torghast is that you can play at your own pace, without feeling rushed. We certainly don’t want to make Torghast into a fast-paced, timed game mode. We have instead added Torments, which are designed to provide some additional texture for players at high levels, and to solve a problem that arises when extremely difficult content meets our often cooldown-based class design.

Here’s what Torments should do.

Imagine a perfectly-efficient Torghast group. They are willing to do whatever it takes to climb the tower. At the highest difficulty they can manage, that means waiting for all cooldowns on every pull – unless there’s some reason not to do so. This is our problem: that’s not fun to play, but it’s the right way to play if you want to win.

Torments should apply just enough pressure that this group can still kill every single creature on the floor (which takes a while, since these enemies have lots of HP), while still being careful, using crowd control, taking a few seconds to rest or strategize between pulls, and even then, maybe sometimes waiting just a little longer for a cooldown before engaging. If that is the most efficient way to play Torghast, then we’ve hit our mark exactly. If that perfectly efficient group has to skip big portions of a floor because Torment debuffs are getting too out of hand, we have a problem.

Here’s what Torments shouldn’t do.

• Make Torghast into a fast-paced, time-constrained feature that feels too similar to existing timed features like Mythic Keystone Dugeons, Horrific Visions, or Island Expeditions.
  • Prevent you from taking a break when you need one.
  • Intimidate casual players from playing Torghast altogether.

From the Alpha forums: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-torghast-tower-of-the-damned/498548/127

1 Like

See how many people complain about a lot of things on GD. The fact is GD is a huge minority of the playerbase that is also casual.

I have a question right now. If Blizzard were to implement 3 less minutes to the timer to any key in BFA +20 or higher (or any other tuning change to make them harder it really doesn’t matter), would you care as much about that is you do about this?

The fact of the matter is the absolute minimum you have to do is 10 floors to get all the legendary stuff or whatever. I would bet that a fairly large section of your “upvoters” are never going to see one of the torments at all. There is no “reason” for them to go past floor 10 unless you are actually pushing content.

Eh… I understand a soft timer, I also understand a hard timer. I’m also very accustomed to timed content, and have tackled the most difficult content the game has to offer.

Even I get why people don’t want a soft, hard, or w/e timer in torghast. And to be quite frank… Neither do I. I’m not interested in M+ 2.0.

I will be… And torghast + a timer is quite literally M+ 2.0, just with special powers. The point will be how fast can I clear in the end, and honestly… I’m not that interested in that. I’ll do it for w/e cosmetics it has to offer, but after that… eh… we’ll just have to see.

Biggest lie of 2020

There are WAYS of implementing this so that it only affects top tier groups. But even that is stupid, because its core audience (mythic plus groups of BFA) are sick and tired of timers, lol

It’s literally not that though, as Blizzard themselves have already stated.

What happened during your life, childhood I’m guessing, that makes you fear a timer?

Was it some sort of “if you dont finish your breakfast in x amount of time, you dont get dinner!”

Something like that?

You don’t speak for anyone other than yourself champ.

You’re tired of them.

You don’t get to speak for anyone else that runs Mythic+

Oh, so I can stop mid-way through the floor with zero impediment to my progress? Will my ability to clear the floor be linked to how long it takes me to clear it?

From what I understand, that’s a no to the first and yes to the second. Sure it isn’t a hard timer, but it still is a timer.

Edit: cause I suck at writing

Read the post I shared from the alpha forums regarding Torments (which is the ‘soft timer’ mechanic that everyone is getting salty about). Blizzard is actively collecting feedback, because they’d like a system where you have time to kill every monster on the floor, take breaks and explore the level, without getting hammered by extra difficulty spikes.

They just don’t want folks feeling like they have to wait 10 minutes between pulls because having Bloodlust/Heroism/Wardrums makes it easier.

1 Like

Tbf you have multiple KSM, Mad World, and multiple AotC’s. I don’t think either of us really represent the average WoW player. I am going to do whatever gets me the best rewards that doesn’t involve PvP’ing. If it means running 50 floors of Torghast every week I will do it or whatever.

The average forum player isn’t going to do that since the average forum player hates “grinds” especially if they are repetitive and looked at as a weekly chore. There are constantly threads with the same ratios as this one that bash on Visions because of how repetitive it is to level up their cloak. Note: LEVEL the cloak. No masks. Just doing the visions.

Ok, then what happens at the upper level of difficulty of the content? (assuming they rein in the powers so that they don’t make the levels easier as you go on) What do you envision to be the failure state at the top end? Cause that’s where my concern lies.

I couldn’t care less about a timer in the lower levels of difficulty, just like I ignore timers in +10’s and below. Where I’m curious is when we’re on floor 100 (arbitrary number), which is a floor that we’ve finally just gotten to… what exactly is going to be the impediment to our progress?

Will it be how fast can we clear the floor? If yes, then yes… this is M+ 2.0. If no, then explain what will be the failure factor?

And in all honesty… I couldn’t care less what less than 1% of the playerbase engages in to get a minute advantage over the rest. I’d rather we not degrade the product to stop the tiny minority that are going to be so insane as to spend 4-5 hours waiting for every single cooldown for every single pull.

3 Likes

Midway -> no

The latter is a huge stretch, but technically a “yes”. If a potential 5% damage taken buff is the deciding factor of you finishing the floor, sure, but when classes are rocking like a permanent 30% damage reduction with 300 forms of CC and self-healing I sincerely doubt that is the case. Unless you go AFK to take a shower and get something to eat in the middle of a floor I sincerely doubt these Torments will do much of anything imho especially since they reset every 6 levels.

The amount per stack is so unbelievably insignificant that you have to literally stand around for them to do anything. Based on current alpha things I have seen each floor is like 5-6 minutes tops so by the time you get to the boss you are looking at maybe like 30% increased damage taken, which again isn’t a whole lot when you can get things like permanent earth elemental or your (also permanent) healing stream totem gives you like 40% damage reduction.

It’s not just “casuals” that are unhappy about this change. I’ve played at a fairly hardcore/high level for the majority of my WoW career (from BC until BFA) and I absolutely hate it when they ruin potentially fun solo content with crap like this.

3 Likes

Then what is the failure state of the tower? I’m assuming that we won’t actually be turning into mini-gods in there when it goes live.

1 Like