You can't criticize covenants without criticizing fundamental aspects of MMO

Good points, and I would agree if they were well balanced and offered at least some parity within each covenant between the specs of any one class. One is best for my healer, another best for my dps… It creates an unnecessary barrier to gameplay imo.

If this was a game where you were locked to spec choice the whole time, fine, sure, this argument makes sense - but your not - you can change between 3 roles anytime - however the covenant system restricts that in a way we haven’t really be restricted before.

Needs better balance is all Im saying I guess…

1 Like

Yes, that tends to happen when youtubers obsess over something.

You didn’t, you just keep making special pleading falacies to say one is ok and the other isn’t, by pointing to irrelevant characteristics.

No, it is impossible to have perfect balance in MMOs, balance is subjective, specially when it is more complex than just a number. And it is ok to not have perfect balance. What is not ok is for one to be too far behind, and we should focus on fixing that instead of ripping the entire system apart.

1 Like

Just curious what happens when the class you play the most(or if you only play one class seriously) becomes the bottom of the barrel and what you have been playing for 3 months is garbage?

My perspective is that if they already see the issues, and have plenty of feedback that it’s not working, but insist on going forward for whatever reason, they’ve already done a disservice to the players. It’s not like this stuff has been a surprise to everyone.

Why spend entire expansions fixing stuff people told you was broken before launch? That time could be new dungeons/raids/bgs etc.

1 Like

People always say that but never point me to the criticism I’m ignoring.

You can start with mine on the beta forums:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/covenant-system-design-flaws-discussion/611673/4?u=brewa-hyjal

1 Like

If Covenants were as interesting and varied as the different classes in WoW, I wouldn’t have a problem with them. A Venthyr Mage and a Night Fae Mage have a lot more in common than a Mage and a Priest, however.

Not the youtuber/streamer argument… xd

But the system prone the unbalance, that’s the thing. It needs major rework.

Nah you just like to generalyze every systems and say systems are fine.
Less systems is better.

You can’t avoid having to balance an MMO. even if you think they are incompetent at this we can’t just reject every system that needs balancing just because they might get it wrong.

I still don’t know why Blizzard didn’t just create a talent row for these. Since they have chosen to create borrowed power systems in each expansion, why note devote the level 60 row to those?

Also, why does each talent row have to be 3’s? (not aimed at you in this question, just annoyed at how bad some talents are and how terribly uniform each row is).

Then it’s the bottom of the barrel. There’s always a class at the bottom and one at the top so what do players do now? Same as they’d do later and just ***** until their class is back on top.

I think we can after 4 years of bull :poop:

3 Likes

The idea wasn’t bad, but they created dps talents so they should work as so.
I can’t explain what’s their idea behind choosing what they did to be covenant systems, but it seems they really like to put a lot of stuff in borrowed power systems so people care more about them. The problem is it makes them worse by doing so.

Just one of the covenant systems would have been enough to make people care for them without feeling overbearing as right now.

Your right, numerically one class/spec is the worst but are we talking about the top spec is doing 20k dps and thr worst is doing 17k with the rest inbetween or is the best doing 20k and the worst at 8k?

People want player power untied from them so they can be in a covenant they think is cool without making their gameplay bad. As it is now, those are your choices.

I don’t agree that is comparable to choosing your class. When you do choose a class, you are free to find one that you enjoy both aesthetically and mechanically for gameplay. You get to do that.

You don’t get to do that covenants. You have to choose between aesthetics that might fit your idea for your character, or a new mechanic that will fit the best in your gameplay. You character is already established, and now you have to shoe-horn this ugly choice into how you already perceive your character or how you enjoy its gameplay.

It’s all around bad design that leaves most players with two choices that both feel bad.

3 Likes

Vanilla-BC talents, the start of Legion, early Azerite in BFA. All of those things restricted talent choices in an even more strict way than Covenants are currently slated to.

It won’t, based on my perception, be an “entire expansion fixing stuff”. They’ve already acknowledged the weak points, I don’t think they’re going to have any hesitation pulling the cord if it fails. It hasn’t failed yet. Beta is the time to try to shore these up. If it goes live utterly and completely broken, then I’ll be on the ripcord train.

I used to listen to a podcast from a famous author, and one of the things he said I think rings true across almost everything. “Customers are fantastic at identifying problems, but they’re worthless at the solutions.” Paraphrasing, of course, but I think it’s just as true here.

Ok my bad, I guess I wasn’t specific enough. I’m talking about criticisms that are being used to justify the #pulltheripcord. Of course you can criticize specific aspects of the covenants.

we never rejected the system we just think it should be different than it is you know BALANCED, how do we balance it? give people the choice of what they want for the situation they are in. its pretty simple.

2 Likes

Oh we do care, we care enough to provide feedback on how some are great for certain specs in a class, while others fall flat.

In the SL era of “class identity” they seemingly have forgotten how bad some of these new abilities are for the class overall (because in each class is > 1 spec). Does not compute.

I’ll give you early legion - with the artifacts, but that was leveling, not max level.

The other two could be changed as often as you wanted if you had the gold - or in BfA spent 10 minutes farming a second set.