WTF was that nerf on mages?

My mage is 50 and haven’t played it in end game since WoD - but just came to express solidarity and complain on your behalf.

2 Likes

I dont know !
Arcane just got buffed… so whats up ?

Salty devs who got killed by Frosties in early expansions still can’t let Frost get above mid-pack so they had to nerf them. Can’t have a spec be viable, not when Ion’s bruised ego is at stake.

3 Likes

It was to frost, my b for not explaining more

They nerfed orb by 15%, not sure why, we have been waiting for them to do something with frost and well they did, so bummed .

1 Like

I wouldn’t stress to much as orb damage is included in the set and will be balanced out, They are tuning the AOE stuff ATM.

Well, [Ignite] also got nerfed again pretty badly.

I wouldn’t really call it tuning. For the past 3 expansions now all they’ve done is constantly nerf AoE because top players just gather everything up in M+ and AoE it down which doesn’t make for entertaining ESports viewing apparently. At this point I fully expect them to announce that all AoE will be disabled in M+ or get % nerfs like some abilities do in PvP. It’s truly tragic but that’s where we are, game is going down the drain because of ESportification.

1 Like

The post literally says tuning? In between seasons is when you tune stuff and try to get DPS in the same ballpark.

The Warlock/Hunter meta was fun for one season, but it certainly wasn’t just the high end players, It was the majority of the playerbase blowing up the entire levels.

I for one would like to start in a somewhat level spot before things get wonky. I dont even mind the wild DPS swings, if we get shorter seasons with tuning going into the next.

Class Tuning Incoming – November 22 - Community / General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

Frost Mage single target is already meh. Frostbolt does such wimpy damage for being such an iconic Mage spell.

Then, the one thing Frost Mages bring to the table-- AoE damage-- gets mega nerfed… lol. Okay. I don’t know what we did to deserve being shafted during this entire alpha/beta tuning cycle, but it’s honestly just really grating at this point.

Pretty much completely ignores Frost Mages and bam. Take your 15% Frozen Orb nerf.

4 Likes

I guess they thought we were just too pretty for our own good. We certainly weren’t too powerful, but they had to hit us somehow.

Buffing [Frostbolt] isn’t the answer. I don’t want it to end in another season where we pick the horribly designed [Fractured Frost] + [Cold Front] combo and all we do is spam [Frostbolt] all day.

They need to take a serious look at how pitifully weak [Ice Veins] is and kind of rework it instead of making us put 6 talent points into it and require close to 100% uptime to be a somewhat decent cooldown. [Glacial Spike] also needs to be tuned correctly as it’s currently a DPS loss, and if ST spells need to be buffed, even if they buff [Frostbolt] by ~20%, they need to buff [Ice Lance] and [Flurry] a lot more since at least [Icicles] seem to already be doing decent damage due to [Hailstones] and [Flash Freeze].

Lastly, [Splitting Ice] needs its 9.0 nerf reverted. Frost’s niche is supposed to be 2t cleave and massive AoE but its cleave isn’t that great anymore.

5 Likes

I’ve pretty much echoed this exact post on other various Mage forum posts, so I agree with you on every point.

I wasn’t saying only Frostbolt needs to be massive and leave everything else the same at all. Our other spells in the kit need updated just like in your post for sure!

(not to mention how much I detest RoP and want it removed… lmao)

I mean wasn’t the whole concept behind AoE caps designed specifically to prevent this? The problem is, they cheaped out and only did it for some abilities/classes. Had it been implemented well, I think having hard-caps of 5-6 mobs for all abilities could have been amazing and completely negated the need for constant buffs/nerfs/changes throughout SL because of what that top 0.1% of players were doing. It just seems to me that there were better options to prevent those top players from doing these things than blanket nerfs to so many specs (while others remain untouched).

Assuming they implement it properly, sure. But as the past few expansions have shown us, they nerf specific classes and abilities while leaving others untouched until it reaches the point of “too late to do anything about it now” because of MDI etc. Just look at things like the tuning for Warlocks, Survival, WW etc in recent seasons. So many specs got nerfs, but these remained relatively untouched or got minor nerfs that still put them massively above other classes. Given the incredibly poor tuning of classes over the last few years, I have no faith in them.

I miss the days where Frost was the king of 2-target cleave. Recently it’s been OK but there are so many specs that did it better, while also doing better ST and AoE. I think the fact that Frost has so many problems at the base level of its gameplay, and that the reworks we were told were coming never happened is why there is so much negativity about Mages in DF. The only positives I had heard is about Arcane.

4 Likes