Writer and editor leaving Blizzard

Twitter folks are legit worse than wow forum folks.

12 Likes

Twitter is toxic these days, that’s why I don’t have a Twitter account. In fact, the toxicity isn’t just among some users, it goes all the way to Twitter’s CEO (did you see how he was when he was subjected to that Senate inquiry?).

I think we need people who care more about the lore and consistency working on the game. In fact, that guy reminds me of a few people named in the Blizzard lawsuit (I got a three day ban for name-dropping a former employee from the lawsuit even though it’s public knowledge they’re named, so I think they might have a loyalist or two still working in the company). Well if I suddenly go silent, you know why.

3 Likes

Who purged their twitter account?

no it’s George who did it’s literally in my first post lol

1 Like

My apologies. It’s been ages since I read that one. I gotta learn to read more before I embarass myself.

1 Like

This is unfortunate, I really like his work! All of the stories he’s done are really good. It would’ve been great if he were an author of a WoW book.

1 Like

To be honest, I really do think it’s a mix.

The interviews I’ve seen of the story devs make me think a lot of them truly are delusional.

As petty as it sounds, I think having the story get slammed by large, public articles was the best thing that could happen for WoW’s story, because someone needed to slap some of them with reality.

5 Likes

Honestly… I think Ion’s got aspergers. It would explain a lot about him. Why he tends to either misspeak or avoid questions. He’s passionate about raiding and designing systems (like watch any interview with him regarding these topics and he instantly lights up), but it comes at the detriment of the rest of the game. I think he does that aspect really well, but they need someone to work with him and balance him out. Someone to give him a wider perspective.

Although I agree a lot of problems in WoW can probably be traced back to Ion’s stubbornness, I weirdly still like him more than many other senior devs I’ve seen interviews of.
Like… there’s a nuance that’s hard to explain. They both “ignore” criticism, but while with most it’s just arrogance, with Ion it seems more like “guys, I really think this will work and I really want to see if it works”, like he just sincerely believes in it more than he just doesn’t respect people. Because with most, they’ll brush off the criticism and disengage/ignore people, Ion will try to explain why he thinks his ideas will work like he’s trying to convince people.
I still think he’s wrong, but at least he strikes me as sincere.

5 Likes

This can only be done so many times before he loses goodwill.

3 Likes

He’s a lawyer who worked for the same union-busting firm that Activision contracted to “solve” the worker issues going on at Blizzard. Keeping quiet is probably the smartest thing he could do.

10 Likes

I don’t know, I get the opposite vibes from him. In February 2021 he called casual players “deficient.” He could be a nice guy for all I know, I just think his stubbornness around gameplay and not wanting to listen to the players on what is considered “fun” is hindering this game in a long term way. Minmaxing is not fun, and it’s gameplay that is killing Shadowlands right now not the story, and that’s not giving the story credit the story sucks, but the gameplay sucks more. That’s what is killing Shadowlands.

3 Likes