WoW won't launch after pre-patch

The OS version isn’t the issue. It crashes on newer Mac OS as well. I’m on 12.6.1 and I also have a crash on startup issue.

2 Likes

In the OP’s case, yes, it is the issue. The game will not launch at all on any OS prior to 10.15. That’s a fact. The version of XCode Blizzard has to use in order to continue supporting the newer OSes won’t create apps that run on the older OSes anymore. It’s been like that for years. I knew this was coming eventually, though I had hoped it would take longer. Unfortunately, anyone not on 10.15 (Catalina) or later is out of luck on the Mac side of things. macOS supprort is both heavily fractured and due to how Apple does bugfixes and updates (or more how they don’t do them), support tiers get chopped every so often. It isn’t like on Windows where WoW would still run even on Windows 10 v1503, which is seven years old now.

not the issue i have 12.6.1 and can’t play the stupid game

5 Likes

Same…I am running 12.6.1 and its not letting me run WOW from battle.net

2 Likes

Again, for the OP it is the issue. Stop hijacking the thread please. Your issue is not the same as the one the OP has.

1 Like
11 Likes

Thank you for the help. I mistakenly thought I had seen that 10.13 was sufficient for DF. I have now updated to 10.15 and it is now running (with help from Omegal’s fix) albeit not as quickly as it used to :wink:

Yeah 10.13 is hard blocked, but I’ve been informed that despite the policy of newest and 2 previous, blizzard is trying to maintain 10.15 support and even 10.14 support if they can get it working. But 10.13 had to be dropped due to rendering issues using a lower metal shader target. they had to raise the min requirement to fix flickering/corrupted graphics.

I think priority is probably fixing AVX2 crash, then memory leak.

1 Like

so I reinstalled WOW in an attempt to troubleshoot the problem. this deleted my config.wtf file. I tried making a new file with my text edit but all I had to put in this was the line you mentioned. I’m assuming this is why I still am getting this error? is there other things I need to add to this file in order to make it work?

2 Likes

Have done the same with same results.

Lawls. Got hit with the good ol’ AVX2 crash from D2R eh? :slight_smile:

This happened to me as well - here’s how I got it working. There may be an easier way, but this method worked for me.

Since I no longer had a .wtf file, I installed classic wow, logged into the game and moved my nameplate, which (I think maybe?) created a config.wtf file in my classic folder.

I logged out and navigated to that file. I copied the file and pasted it in my retail wtf folder. I then opened the pasted config.wtf file and deleted all text in it. I pasted in SET playIntroMovie “10” and saved/closed the file.

Launched retail and it worked.

3 Likes

Same here, I also did a clean install, so no config.wtf file. I fortunately had a TimeMachine backup of my config.wtf file from prior to the patch and was able to copy that file back, make the playIntroMovie change, and then launched the game without it crashing.

The workaround worked like a charm! I had an issue with my config.wtf file missing (due to a clean install in an attempt to resolve the issue) but I was lucky and had a TimeMachine backup of the file and was able to restore it, make the playIntoMovie change, and launched without the crash.

Did u add that line there or did u adjust it somehow ?

I just edited the file and replaced the existing SET playIntroMovie "9" line with SET playIntroMovie "10" . If you create a new config.wtf file then you need to make sure that the file extension is .wtf and not .wtf.txt. You can enable the “Show all filename extensions” from the Finder | Preferences… menu item to double check that the file extension is correct (but you don’t have to worry about this if you’re editign an existing config.wtf file).

I had SET playIntroMovie “10” there already. But I can open WoW again, not sure if I did this or Blizzard fixed it in the meantime.

Thanks

1 Like

I am still unable to open on MAC since patch. Running OS 13. The Warcraft logo just bounces and bounces and bounces…

I had exactly the same problem, all I did was create Config.wtf copy paste everything from the original Config.wtf and game is running perfectly.

So basically I had two Config.wtf in my wtf folder. I don’t know if this fixed that but game is working since then.

Maybe try it too.

2 Likes

Would you mind explaining the steps to do that? Many thanks.