Wow tokens

with the botting and gold seller problem this would have a less negative effect on the game then what is currently going on.
from my wow veteran perspective id rather compromise with wow tokens then deal with bots and gold sellers ruening the game completely so yeah if nothing is going to be done about the bots i would support wow tokens to make them obsolete and not worth wile

3 Likes

Plus, just think of all the gold you could buy.

Your WoW veteran perspective is crap. Tokens are the easy way out. If blizzard actually tried they could eliminate most bots fairly easily. It’s not like they’re hard to spot

9 Likes

Stop worrying about what others are doing.

in a competitive massively multiplayer online game if others cheet and exploit or in this case make a good part of the game unplayable i have no choice but to worry about it i would like this game to be worth playing i fought for 5 years just to get it back

1 Like

Dude.

He’s a WoW veteran. Show some respect.

6 Likes

Can we also get transmog and a barber too? Might as well throw LFR into the mix as well.

1 Like

There is a pretty straightforward (but not simple) way to do this – Google’s recapv3 approach. Model user input to score its humanity and use that score to determine whether or not the user should be challenged with an actual captcha.

Cons - not likely to be cheap. I’m not really sure what botting costs their bottom line, if anything. It would generate false positives, and people would complain about annoying captchas + incorrect suspensions/bans instead of posts about bots. Well to be fair, some bots would still be running. Captcha farms exist.

Pros - Less botting, lower inflation rates.

There would be a potential knock-on effect of gold sellers becoming more motivated to steal accounts, with the lower-risk activity of botting becoming more difficult.

I don’t think this would be a very fruitful approach, especially given the fact that (as OP pointed out) Blizzard already has a working approach for this – tokens.

I think tokens are an interesting approach, since it’s a purely economic one and has a side-effect of stabilizing in-game inflation. I’d support them. Does anyone have an informed perspective from retail on how they harm the game? I’m genuinely curious.

2 Likes

i’m talking about a compromise not just adding things for fun or the heck of it

1. They aren’t classic-like.
  2. It opens the door for more shop items.
  3. It doesn’t stop botters/RMT, they just sell gold for cheaper than the AH.
  4. People would still pay real money for fast items and gold.
1 Like

They don’t stop botters? That’s really interesting, I had always assumed tokens would pretty much eliminate them. Perhaps that was naive of me. That would severely weaken the argument for them.

can’t remember the last time i seen a bot in retail wow so id say the token really did the job of making it not worth wile they probably exist but not to the extent that it harms the game

1 Like

It doesn’t destroy the market, but it undermines it a lot. Many players, if given the choice, will opt to buy gold safely from Blizz for a lower “exchange rate” than to do business with the kinds of people who run gold selling outfits in terms of safe digital practices. Some people won’t, of course, but it cuts down on the out of game market significantly. It also serves the purpose of keeping a significant slice of the revenue derived from currency sales with Blizzard rather than with bot-running gold sellers.

I am not advocating bringing them into Classic – it likely isn’t consistent with #nochanges. But while it doesn’t kill the market (nothing will ever kill a black market for some people), it does eat into it quite a bit.

2 Likes

I would appreciate no bots . But I also appreciate that tokens do not exist in classic . It shouldn’t .

2 Likes

Bots and tokens. No bots and no tokens. Either will work, but you gotta choose one.

Thank you for your service.

2 Likes

No this is not a pay to win game(officially) and if that’s what you desire retail is right there waiting for you.

Gold selling was always there in vanilla and gold farmers were always right there in vanilla too, the presence of either is not a valid argument to start bringing retail BS to classic.

1 Like

Do you know who created the phrase “Let sleeping dogs lie?” A dog! :wink:

ty 4 ur service sarnt

1 Like

Oh look, it’s Bobby K. Mission accomplished with your master plan of allowing bots to flood the game?