WOW token on Classic will make it pay2win

Mounts they already sell for money, keep that in retail only.

Nearly every scenario you’ve defined in this thread has been an example of P2W.

If a user pays for something that was not, or cannot, be earned through standard means, or provides a benefit that would otherwise be unobtainable, that is P2W.

All of these are examples of P2W

• The +10 strength buff you gave as an example. If this buff has no in-game equivalent, and/or is stackable with other similar buffs, it is by definition paying for an unfair power gain.
  • Buying items and/or gold from a real money store, that wasn’t earned in-game (which is to say, adding illegitimate items to the game world)
  • Buying gear that exceeds the maximum power of items that can be obtained in-game

However, as is the situation with tokens, or the character trading that you defined, this is trading legitimately earned items and gold between players. While character trading/account sharing/etc are against EULA/TOS and is punishable, the act of moving gold from one character to another in exchange for an in-game item/benefit is not. This is why self-played character boosting for gold is OK.

Outside of being against the EULA, there’s no discernible difference between “buying” a naxx-geared character, and paying for a full gear run. While the latter is quite unlikely to happen until quite late into Classic’s lifespan due to gear availability and the fact that Naxx itself exists (hard gear checks everywhere), the former still requires someone to spend the time gearing it out, and the items are still legitimately earned. The primary reason account sharing (and by extension/association, character trading) is a bannable offence is because it can be used as a way to aggressively go after botters and gold farmers (which are actual threats to the economy).

Which brings me to the point of the thread; I do think having tokens would have a negative impact on Classic’s gameplay and economy. Gold is an actual limiting factor for advancing your character, be it spell training, mounts, or buying gear upgrades/enchants. Being able to (legitimately) fast-track this would severely hurt Classic’s character progression model. Additionally, the existence of tokens can act as an incentive to bot or take part in excessive gold farming, which leads to hyperinflation as “fresh” gold is added into the economy.

1 Like

1000g in vanilla is = to about million gold now.

The WOW token is meant to combat gold sellers. Allowing blizzard that peice of the pie.

I rather have tokens then gold seller spam. Expect the gold sellers will be selling power leveling and gear runs instead.

No WoW token just means coming back of Chinese farmers to sell us their gold. I was there in Vanilla. I was pressured to buy gold coz I cant sustain my raiding needs. Vanilla raiding means 2 to 3 hours of farming before going to raid.

Classic has tokens because it has a shared sub.

Bob has RL cash and wants classic gold.
Phil has classic gold and wants cash.

Bob buys a token puts it up for sale, collects gold on a retail server.
Phil trades gold on classic to Bob, then logs to a retail server where Bob trades Phil the retail gold he got from selling his token.
Phil buys a token on the retail server, and redeems it for game time or store credit.

People argue that it won’t happen because people could be ripped off, but they’re forgetting that before tokens people were happy to give their CREDIT CARD NUMBER to shady chinese companies.

1 Like

The two games are already linked by one subscription so the token exists for both at this point.

Not sure why people think there will be tokens actually accessible in or usable by Classic accounts. They are talking about playing retail and renewing your account that way to gain access to Classic. Stop being dense and learn to read please.

Sure someone could sell an item in one for money in the other, but this is just as bannable as buying gold in the first place and is not hard to track, as people claim it to be.

Is it? We’ve asked at length for confirmation that they would make it against the rules to trade cross server. As far as we can tell it isn’t, and if it is, it seems unlikely that they’ll invest the CS resources to enforce it out since they would be spending money to cut off their own revenue stream.

Blizzard made it clear there will be no in game shop/wow token, and even stated that if ever a shop comes to classic it will only be name changes and realm transfers, and that this would only come with a majority of players asking for that feature, there isn’t even a classic shop button on the game compared to retail

the real problem will be people doing gold trades from the current version to classic via wow tokens and idk even know how they can stop that or if they would want too.

how is it possible? “300g on classic for 200k on retail”? Come on, who will accept such offer?

1000g would be like a million gold on bfa tbh, and people will do it or even trade raid carrys on retail for money or items in classic

Come on

1. Having 300g on Classic requires some involvement
  2. Having 200k on retail requires some involvement
  3. Being able to sell raid carrys requires even more involvement

So, basically, in order for such transaction to happen, there must be someone playing both classic and retail actively.

yes and most people will since you get classic for free with the main game, it also doesn’t help that so many players on retail already have millions and millions of gold already with nothing to spend the money on

edit- it also depends on your class too a hunters and mages can make 50-100g an hour in classic in the right areas 300g isn’t hard to get for some people so they will take advantage of that

I think Blizzard will keep tokens out of Classic. As said, the economy is out of control in the current game. An economy reboot will be a breath of fresh air. It is more my hope that Blizzard will make a stand and work with the players to keep out gold farmers from selling gold to preserve this new fresh game economy as long as possible.

And I hope things like this are tracked and punished. I might be one of the few and a dying breed but I do not want to see the economy ruined because people are too lazy to put the work in. Ban people and remove the gold from the economy.

I am pretty sure they had no intention of adding any of the store items into classic.

oh yeah i would be horrible and kill the entire classic experience, i’m sure its something they have already thought about,

They already have an auto flag system for when people trade large sums of gold so id guess they would be able to look at gold trade between two accounts no matter what version you are playing on.

The issue is when people who aren’t dumb trade high value items and lots of materials for raid carries and items between versions it will be really hard to track

2 Likes

You could buy gold in retail Vanilla…through Chinese gold farmers. It was cheaper too relative to inflation because cheap labor, competition, bot automation and no middleman (blizzard) lol

If we want the true vanilla experience I expect to be spammed with whispers “you buy gold five dollars”

Banning tokens will be like banning abortions. Those with means will still find a way. demand won’t go away so markets will make it happen. It just becomes riskier.

but that was on a much smaller scale than WOW token, and well… bannable.

Today, trade between classic and retail will also be a bit shady, plus will require being active on both, so hopefully it will be thinned down a bit.

What I’m really worried about, is new bugs, that appear on both retail and Classic. Related to the client version itself.