WoW RP. Where'd it go?

Honestly warms my heart to still see that this is the case.

2 Likes

Depends on the server in FF14 if you’re on the aether data center Mataeus and Balmung are the big RP servers [Made a cat boy version of Kal as a red mage and apprentice chef ICly. :D] Though in terms of RP in WoW OP,it’s relegated to a few servers over the years. I used to hail from Thorium Brotherhood and it was a really active server back in wrath [kinda started to die in CATA when SWTOR came out] makign the big RP servers WRA,Moonguard and ED [if you don’t mind PVP as well] All 3 servers have their ups and their downs but so far I’ve had more good experiences than bad. It’s still there it just isn’t as active on the other RP servers that I know of [a mix of burnout,other MMOs becoming enticing and griefers who think because their favorite streamers mocks RPers that it’s somehow okay for them to do it too]

1 Like

I agree that rp is not happening like it used to. I do not find what I am looking for, no matter which server I am on. What I want is a few companions to build stories with. Not looking for ERP, but I do not mind it if it fits the story. I am an adult, and I want to do adult themes. I am not into Anime or the comic book characters. I want a story in Azeroth that focuses on the individual characters we play. I have advertised before on this forum and not found any one interested in my ideas. I am willing to start a character from scratch if that is what it takes. Or use one I have already gotten to upper levels.
I am open to your story ideas, I am willing to help flesh them out and make them work. It is not all about me. I am a writer first, and an rper always. I just want some company in WOW as I explore these new concepts and races they have given us.

1 Like

I thought it was because the gold sinks were doing their job and because we no longer get class hall gold.

It means that the tokens aren’t selling, so they’re accumulating on the AH.

Before, people were using their wow gold to buy tokens and use those tokens to buy items on things like Overwatch.

I think that one cause of prices not being higher is people are literally not subscribed right now to buy the tokens, ergo the tokens are plentiful. They’re probably off playing other games, possibly boycotting Blizzard because diablo on a phone. Who knows.

Gold is easy to come by. I got 12 million gold from garrisons alone and never used gold missions on the mission tables to do so.

Because if you’re going to have a system, it’s better to make a system that works before just making one that causes problems. FFXIV has housing, but not everyone who wants a house can have one - there’s about 4300 houses per server, and far more people on a server than there are houses. There are also players who own multiple houses, and that’s not against the rules (though it’s now not possible, and any who have done such are grandfathered).

The MogStation is great, but only certain items on there unlock for the entire account - which means that if you have more than one character, you’re going to be buying new items for every character - buying one outfit for all 8 characters on a server will cost you over a year’s subscription cost, and you might only want one piece from the outfit.

The housing items are pretty much always $5 each. That’s for one. Want to fully wallpaper your house? That’ll cost you $10 - $15 dollars. Want to put those wallpapers on some of the blank walls? That’ll cost you even more.

The only thing that SE has done for the role-players is give us an icon that helps people identify that we’re roleplayers. There are no (legal) mods - we get that slash command to help people know when we’re IC, and a little box with less character allotment than a Twitter post to pitch our characters.

The community? Toxic is the nicest word for them. I’ve been playing WoW for 14 years, have been in several communities, have seen the rise and fall of several big guilds. I can name maybe three huge drama bombs in all of those 14 years. FFXIV community? I can name 3 huge bombs in the last 5 months - two of those over things that are literally ‘hey, if that’s not your jam, just don’t play with those people.’

I’ve noticed a pretty big divide in where to find the RP - MG Horde seems to have become a little empty or the RP has driven itself into purely guilds, but I’ve been unable to even locate a guild for my primary Horde character (which is not this one, in my own bank guild). Meanwhile, having rerolled the toon over on WRA, I’ve found the Horde side to be fairly flourishing with several RP guilds reaching out even though I’m running around in heirloom gear and clearly level grinding.

It really just varies on where you look, but I’ll tell you right now, housing is not a system that will save or benefit anything. It’d be a nice perk, but that’s it. You need only look at Wildstar to see that.

Remember to turn off Warmode.

So far, with returning to WoW and grinding through the story not once but twice on both Horde and Alliance. I can honestly say that WRA and MG have rp. Just VASTLY different.

Example: MG Silvermoon is all but empty save for a few people lingering and people leveling alts or new players running around. WRA Silvermoon have many people standing about and interacting. However, many of the Roleplayers on WRA came from MG. I recognized several names from MG’s peak over on WRA. Both servers also have a different style in RP. I noticed in observation that many of those in Silvermoon (WRA) have been ignoring In Game story or lightly brushing on it. Where groups who communicate for RP or the rare walk ups about, they talk about in game story and working that into their rp.

Now there are several groups on MG I know of working on bringing RP back to the server (Horde Side at least). I am part of one of those groups. Sadly with the narrative how it is, it is hard to stay interested in the game. So we have to leave it up to ourselves to even think about fleshing out interests. But with the Holidays and Schools doing finals, everything is going to be undoubtedly slow.

Maybe there will be a flare up of RP after the holidays. But until Blizzard stops hyping up a patch and work on a better narrative (which is never) and failing to deliver, it is just WoD all over again. Which I felt was the largest hit for the Roleplay Community.

I’m thinking the same thing. It takes a lot of good planning, effort, imagination and coordination to make a good RP event and all it takes is one bad apple to spoil the hole picnic party. I made a list of five of them so far…there could be more…
The Debby Downer: "WOW IS DEAD!“bla bla bla"THIS EXPAC SUCKS!”
The Grammar Neat Freak: “If you can’t tell the deference between your and you’re, I’m leaving.”
The Troll: /slap /fart /flirt /cast Blizzard wile in murloc costume and your RP is Draenei only.
The Lore Zealot: “You can’t be half _______ and half _______” Then gives you endless info from the lore in warcraft books, past games ect…of why you can’t do that.
THE PERVERT: “I’m going to put my %#$@ in your ^%#@ then #&^%@ your $%&**%^&$#@%^&$&^%^%^$%!!!”
Yes you can always /ignore them and kick them from your group. But there is that bad after taste, that horrible awkwardness that puts others in a bad mood or too uncomfortable carry on and have fun.

1 Like

I am thinking that it is up to the role players to create rp, by that, I mean if you want to rp you will need to be a bit proactive and talk to people. Create your character, put some effort into the backstory. You don’t need to be complicated about it. Come up with a theme and a story you can attract others into joining.

1 Like

It is literally everywhere in Stormwind right now.

I struggle a bit to find some RP in Feathermoon-ScarletCrusade because of my time zone and hours that I play, but I found some awesome RP partners in the server forums (feathermap) and there are a couple stories going on right now.

My rogue feels personally attacked by this. When one is defending one’s self, it is not perverted at all to loudly threaten to lodge your little fish-gutter knife in their eye and ruin their life…all while hoping the loudness is enough to convince them you’re actually able to do this. Maybe they’ll back down?

1 Like

Beyond NPCs, they’re packed full of players. And that’s always likely to include griefers.

Garrisons were a great idea that were poorly executed. If done right, they could’ve been guild bastions. Center-stage to RP and vanilla-esque sitting and talking in-game.

People are going to do what’s fun for them. If the narrative doesn’t suit them, their characers are going to not be heavily involved. On WRA lots of Belves have been separate from the Horde for RP stuff. Some have been Thalassian loyalists since MoP.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that we RP the first Horde civil war which dominated the narrative and dragged on for something like 11 months. People may still be fatigued.