Wow randomly crashing since 8.1

Having this same issue. I have a report ID of: 660AC999-DEE5-427E-9D94-ADAC26357604 if that helps. Finally stumbled upon this thread. AMD card as well.

I was in the middle of killing Vugthuth for a world quest when it happened. Has also crashed while doing a M+.

I have a fairly new PC with an AMD RX580 series card. It works great in all other applications, however I’ve started getting the same annoying WoW crash as others have reported in this thread. This has only started occurring as of patch 8.1.

There have been over a dozen crashes, occurring during raids, mythics, world quests, PvP. It seems to happen more frequently when the graphics requirements get a bit intense but not always, e.g. a single trash mob pull in an instance. Sometimes the game doesn’t fully crash and it freezes for a couple of seconds before recovering. But after recovery, it then usually full-on crashes within a few minutes.

I have toggled off Shader Cache and cleared it as per Ibaralus’ instructions but that has not fixed the issue since I experienced two more crashes yesterday after changing those settings.

As requested on Dec. 31st I cleared the shader cache. It has been 18 days crash free until today. I was randomly running around doing world quests for an invasion and crashed with the same error code. My husband also had a random crash last week with the same video card and system setup I run. My crashes are more frequent than his in general. Are there any additional troubleshooting steps to try for this issue?

I should also note the same day you asked me to clear shader cache i also deleted my wow cache folder as i seen this recommended for some other crash issues so figured it couldn’t hurt.

1 Like

Laorne

Other than what was recommended, some people have switched to DirectX 11 in the Advanced Graphics API options in-game. We still have a bug being tracked with AMD Shader Cache being the culprit.

Thank you for providing an update.

I’ve been getting these crashes as well and am also running an AMD card. It seems to always happen when there is some big persistent ground aoe. Like in arathi warfront the horse rider guy who throws down fire circles, doing multiple attacks while standing in consecration like shield of the righteous and judgement at the same time, or blightgut on the blood elf heritage questline when it uses the puke and the ground gets the effect and the edges of the screen.

I did notice those same kinds of things would only cause a disconnect on my old computer (nvidia card), where the amd card actually causes a crash.

I just did all the shader cache stuff and havent actually gone back into game yet. I just wanted to add my experiences which might help fix the problem.

I too cleared my cache as requested and everything was fine until today. Got the same crash. I just switched to DX11 as recommended.

Just wanted to give you AMD card users hope and an update from my post a month ago. Things I’ve tried that didn’t individually help, but may have eventually led to my solution in sequence:

• toggle off and cleared shader cache
  • performed a clean graphics driver reinstall (ensure ReLive is disabled)
  • ran Blizzard repair tool

Finally I switched to running WoW with DirectX 11 like Turkeytoe. Since then I have been crash free for 17 days.

Just as a follow up on this, the step for clearing the shader cache/disabling it has not been particularly successful in our testing. Switching to DirectX11 is the only consistent work around we’ve found for players suffering from the AMD shader cache bug we’re investigating.

1 Like

Yep, I’ve been having these issues too. At first it was solved by updating the drivers. It worked for a month, but now the issue is back again. It seems to have a chance to just straight crash the game if I stand in certain things. That’s fine since we aren’t suppose to be standing in things but it’s pretty hard to not stand in something when the MOBS PUT IT UNDER YOU.

I bet it’s the amd drivers. Apparently that was the cause last time so I assume it’s the same crap again. How can the game work FINE for almost 6 months and then just out of the blue after a patch these issues appear? Sounds very fishy to me.

EDIT: I switched to directx 11(from 12) and went to undercity to check. It seems to have fixed THAT issue which I assume was shader related. In dx12 it looked HORRIBLE, like a green, transparent mess(ie you would see the green stuff through the terrain/walls etc).

I’ve been having same issue here, switched WoW to DX 11 mode and still got the crash.

Radeon Software Version - 19.2.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Memory Size - 4096 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 975 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 32 GB
CPU Type - Intel® Core™ i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz

For what it’s worth, places I’ve noticed the crash:

Matron Morana fight
Vol’kaal in Atal’Dazar
Rixxa Fluxflame in Motherlode

and yeah, generally seems to be standing in stuff that sets it off.

Any update on this? Mine still crashed when I stepped in plague during an invasion of Drustvar.

^ to the top, mine has been doing this since the patch. Found this thread and switched to dx 11. Logging back in to see if ti works. What is funny is mine crashes the once and i am good to go after that.

Same issue here. Happens at very random times when you wouldn’t expect a graphical error to crash a game. This is still an issue over 2 months later?

I’ve noticed crashes on WoW with AMD Radeon Adrenaline 19.1 and 19.2 drivers. Reverting back to older 18.12.3 drivers fixes it for me. Several other people on AMD’s forums have noticed the same issues with the 19.x drivers too.
https: //community. amd. com/thread/235645
(can’t post links so take out the spaces)

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that this is still on our radar. For a little peek behind the curtain, what we did to help track this down was add some more code to track what’s actually happening when the crashes happen. This is giving our engineers a bit more info on what your GPU is doing and why the shader cache is triggering this problem.

We’ll keep providing relevant updates as we can, and thanks for all the reports and the information thus far.

Have been running the latest AMD drivers and DX11 since my last post with no issues. I have seen others reverting to the AMD 18.12.3 drivers to allow DX12 so I’ll be reverting back now. The latest AMD 19.2.3 drivers still don’t even have this and other issues listed under “Known Issues” so I imagine it’ll be a while before a fix is implemented…

This has been happening to me since 8.1 too, I relatively cornered it down to void zones in games. That is, Sanguine pools, any sort of ground effects that are swirlies, last boss of SOTS, reaping green pools etc…

It happens at least once a m+ run and it’s tilting the crap out of me, I just switched to DX11 and I’ll see how it goes, unfortunately i don’t know where I can test this consistently without ruining keys and other people’s time.

System is Ryzen 2700x, 16gb DDR4 3200 gskill CL16
AMD 390x
Taichi x470 mobo
windows 10

Any ground effect that causes the graphical tinge to appear on the edges of your screen will trigger the crash.

Arkthugal here is correct. Anyone running an AMD card and DirectX12 can easily test it by going into the Stromgarde warfront. Engage the mini-boss at the Stables and stand on the fire AoE on the ground. You’ll immediately crash. Switch to DirectX11… No crash.