WoW Performance Guide For Macs - Patch 8.0

You need a system with a geforce or ATI. intel based graphics cards won't cut it.
When are we going to get recommended settings for the Retina Displays? I bought a $4,000 machine with the best of everything and I still can't seem to run the game at a steady 30 FPS with decent settings. Sheesh!
I have the 15" rMBP... my machine runs at 60 FPS at ultra settings. Not sure what's wrong with yours...
02/09/2013 09:39 AMPosted by Leahad
I have the 15" rMBP... my machine runs at 60 FPS at ultra settings. Not sure what's wrong with yours...

Posts like this aren't really helpful.
01/29/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Rilely
When are we going to get recommended settings for the Retina Displays? I bought a $4,000 machine with the best of everything and I still can't seem to run the game at a steady 30 FPS with decent settings. Sheesh!

I play on an early 2009 MacBook Pro with the 9400m card and 8gb of RAM and get a consistent 20-35 FPS depending where I'm at with settings ranging in the Good to Fair settings.

I follow these exact Settings:

2009 13-inch Unibody Macbook Pro with nVidia 9400m Integrated Graphics

Graphics > Display

Multisampling: 1x

Vertical Sync: Disabled

Graphics > Graphics

Graphics Slider: Low

Texture Resolution: Good

Texture Filtering: Bilinear

Projected Textures: Enabled

View Distance: Fair

Environmental Detail: Fair

Ground Clutter: Low

Shadow Quality: Low

Liquid Detail: Low

Sunshafts: Disabled

Particle Density: Low

Advanced

Triple Buffering; Disabled

Reduce Input Lag: Disabled

Hardware Cursor: Enabled

Notes: Expect 25-30fps.

The Main part I found extremely helpful was from the MBP guide for the model right above mine:

Notes: Make sure to enable "Higher Performance" under "Video" in OS X's Energy Saver prefs to turn on the 9600GT. Uses Integrated Graphics otherwise.

I suspect that if you check your Energy Saver settings, you might be surprised to find that your MBP is set to use the lower energy using integrated graphics card.

As an additional Note of my own:
If you reset the SMC (System Management Controller) on your MAC, it seems that the above MAC setting gets reset to "Energy Saver" performance, and your FPS will drop dramatically, in the range of 50% or more.

**Edited for Typos and various other Minutia**
I'm getting a new 2013 MBP 15' non-retina with the following:
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5 memory
ā€¢ 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
ā€¢ 128GB Solid State Drive

Which settings should I follow? I'm very new convert from PC to MAC, keeping that in mind.
Always try the settings for a similar video card in the same series, that should work. You can then tweak one setting at a time to see if you can get a bit more performance, but I haven't had much luck with that.

You can go here: https://developer.apple.com/graphicsimaging/opengl/capabilities/ to see which video cards have similar capabilities. The GT 650 seems to be in a class of it's own, but settings for the 9400 to 330 should work.

As for everyone waiting for better performance and support for Retina, the problem seems to be Apple rather than Blizzard. As stated early in this thread, Apple currently supports OpenGL 3.2; WoW has been updated to take advantage of OpenGL 4.2. While it was hoped OpenGL 4.2 support would arrive with Mountain Lion, it looks like we will be waiting for 10.9 or longer....
If you could update your list that would be great this info does help a lot of people.
I have
MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011
Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

I'm just looking to twick it a little bit to get better play out of it.
I purchased a rMBP (second batch, late 2012) with 16Gb on RAM, GeoForce GT 650M, SDD 512, latest OSX version

When i played WoW on Ultra the game drops its FPS to 8. The switched to High and the FPS got to 13-18. Depending on the amount of actions that are running on the Raid 25, it can even drop to 8.

I find it odd really, since i can run the SC2:HoS on Ultra with no problems for Story mode... (i switch to high when its 4vs4).

I found out that the OSX tends to get sluggish after a year of use (installing and moving stuff constantly), so i usually format the whole thing every 6 months to improve the speed and performance.

I will be useful if blizzard could give us a pre set on the games when you install them (currently WoW and SC tells you that they dont recognise the rMBP).

IĀ“m going to format the machine and try to test settings, i will report if the game improves.

I tested some settings: by moving Shadow Quality to Good the FPS improved quite good (from 15 to 29).
Can you update for a mid 2011 iMac:
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB graphics
OS X 10.8.3

Thanks in advance
I have not played in awhile but i set my early 2011 to:

Late 2011 Core i7 Sandy Bridge Macbook Pro with 1GB AMD 6750 Graphics Card

(because I have a 6750) and I am getting about 26fps outside shrine of two moons looking mostly at the ground.

What gives? Performance has gotten much worse since i last played about four months ago.

I've got 8gb RAM, 10.8.4, nothing else is using CPU. I have tried with graphics switching off and on. Inside the shrine I get 70 fps when staring at the floor, but I don't really care to go about life admiring my shoes.
I have a 2011 MBP with a 1GB ATI 6770 Video card, 16GB Ram, and OSX 10.8. I have to play on Low settings or the game becomes a slideshow, its terrible. I tried the settings in the first post and there's no way that its playable. Anyone know a way to increase performance?
Like Vamptess I also have Late 2011 Core i7 Sandy Bridge Macbook Pro with 1GB AMD 6750 Graphics Card. My performance is terrible. With settings on Fair using the 64-bit client I can get 28fps outside Shrine of Seven Stars. During raids it drops to 8-10fps. It's really irritating and almost makes the game unplayable. With hardware just 2 years old I would expect better performance and better graphics.

I have 16gb of ram, 10.8.4 and all apps closed. I've done SMC and PRAM resets, repaired permissions, etc. The only difference in my setup is I use an external monitor - Apple Cinema Display 2560x1440. If anyone has any hints on how to improve things I sure would appreciate it.
Funny thing about Macintosh computers is... they are all the same. A lot of people on the PC/Widows side of the fence complain that this is why they don't want a Mac BUT what is interesting to me is that since there aren't too many configurations I wonder why it is so hard for game companies to go out, buy one, figure out what settings work best on that Mac and bam... no issues.
Funny thing about Macintosh computers is... they are all the same. A lot of people on the PC/Widows side of the fence complain that this is why they don't want a Mac BUT what is interesting to me is that since there aren't too many configurations I wonder why it is so hard for game companies to go out, buy one, figure out what settings work best on that Mac and bam... no issues.

That's essentially what Blizzard does. But you're forgetting that other things can affect game performance. Anything from an app running in the background to faulty hardware to system settings the user isn't aware they had turned on. Any number of things can affect performance.

I wrote this guide originally with the assumption that people were leaving their computers at the stock configurations Apple sold them, with the native monitor resolutions. But when people start using external monitors with 2 or 3 times the native res of their original screen, then wonder why the game plays like crap, that's a fault of the user, not Blizzard or Apple.

I've had some major life changes in the last year, including moving across the continent and getting my new career going, so I apologize that I just haven't had the time to update this guide like I wanted to. That's on me.

But going through most of the posts on here, a lot of them are seeing much lower fps than their system should be capable of. As I've said in the past, all of Apple's Mac models, everything short of the Mac Pro uses the LAPTOP variant of a given graphics card, and those only provide maybe 50%-80% at best of the desktop version of the card of the same name. They offer the same feature set, but even then the cards simply aren't powerful enough to "use" some of the latest features their desktop big brothers are touting, such as Tessellation and 16x Anisotropic Filtering. So don't expect miracles...

_____

That said, there IS definitely something wrong with WoW lately. Even with my new ultra beefy Windows/Linux/Hackintosh PC I just built myself with a new Haswell quad core i7, 16Gb of RAM, and a Geforce GTX 770 (the 3rd best video card on the market right now), the fps goes from 150 fps in the barrens, then seems to artificially cap itself to 45-50fps in Org even with the cap set to much higher despite the CPU and GPU usages barely reaching 15% of max. This is on all three OS's.

Based on recent tests with a newer MBP with a 6750m and a 2.2Ghz quad core i7, and with my new Windows PC, WoW seems to have something going on in the background that is severely crippling performance to levels far below what the hardware is capable of.

On that same MBP, I can run a myriad of games from Borderlands 2 to Portal 2 to The Witcher 2 (on OS X) at absolutely max settings and not dip anywhere near the 27fps I get in WoW on LOW settings.

Something is wrong with WoW itself. Not your computers.
I'm using a 2008 MacBook with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. Lately I've been getting some pretty serious lag issues. It seems to have the rubber band effect where everything slows down for a couple of seconds then I just shoot across the screen way past where i was trying to go. It happens randomly, unless I die, which causes it to instantly start doing it. It's very frustrating. I have the graphics set to the lowest possible setting.
So the Mac client is working amazing for me and I followed all the setup suggestions. One thing I am noticing, and I did search and had issues finding anything with an answer, is my internet and most other things slow to a crawl when WoW is running. The game is 100% downloaded and my FPS is usually around 60fps or higher.

Running a mid 2011 iMac 27"
ATI 6770
2.7Ghz i5
16GB RAM

I have tried both wired and wireless connection with the same results. Already been through the gamut of resetting Airport all the way to factory and resetting it up. My speeds are great as I get on average 25Mb down and 6Mb up.

When I am on WoW, it's only affecting my Mac. My wife is able to run her iMac and laptop perfectly fine with no lag.

Any suggestions?
Hey I've got:

Mid 2013 Macbook Pro
2.7Ghz Inter Core i7
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Nvidea Geforce GT 650M 1024 MB

Been tweaking this stuff for ages now and i just cant get a decent stable framrate, what would you recommend?

Also what resolution suits the Retina 15" display best? that seems to throw things out heaps
Hi! I am really hoping someone can help me :(

I have a mid 2011 27inch iMac and when I try to use the settings suggested in the original post, I can only get 29 fps (standing in the middle of nowhere, not even in a city).

I recently had to take my Mac in to Apple and they replaced the graphics card and LCD panel.

Specs:
3.4 GHZ Intel Core i7
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

I really think there is something wrong with my computer but Apple says there isn't so I am kind of stuck :(

Any help would really be appreciated.
browsing a current macbook 15" and i was wondering if it would suit my gamestyle.

i play pretty casually, 5man/scenarios/BGs/LFR

specs:
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1600MHz memory
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5

would i be able to have smooth gameplay on high settings in LFR and big BG battles?