WoW Performance Guide For Macs - Patch 8.0

09/19/2016 04:59 AMPosted by Lowphat
This thread is much appreciated, and I'm hoping that one of you can help me out. I'm running WoW on a 2016 Macbook (yeah, yeah), and the game is surprisingly playable. However, with the rendering engine set to Metal, I get ugly black textures all over the ground in zones like Stormheim. If I switch the engine over to OpenGL those ugly textures go away, but my FPS takes a nosedive (30-35 fps from 40-50fps).

I disabled all of my add-ons and dropped my graphics settings down to "1", just to make sure it wasn't something else. Anyone else having this issue, or know how I might solve it?

Thanks.

Setting antialiasing to "none" (or FSAA) fixed the blocky black texture problem. In other words, MSAA is still broken (for me).

For the framerate, try setting the render scale (advanced options) to 50%.

(Late 2015 iMac with AMD Radeon R9 M395X)
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, AA was already set to None :( Updated to Sierra today, and still no luck on the texture issue.
every time i use an ability that alters my appearance or size my game crashes and i get an error message. I can not heal on my pally because when my artifact ability is active i glow.. which causes me to crash every time i use it. I logged onto my hunter to make sure it wasn't just my pally, and sure enough. Every time i used beastial wrath in Beast Mastery spec, my game crashed the same way and gave me the same error message. This has been going on since i downloaded patch 7.1 and my game has crashed about 20 times now. I ran a Blizz repair twice and nothing came up. Im just not sure what to do, I just hope i don't uninstall the game and reinstall it and still have the same problem... Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
since Tuesday's patch my gamma settings refuse to stay put and the screen goes quite dark. I have to keep going back to System/Advanced and hit the okay button.
Just as an update. I ended up buying the new 15" Macbook Pro that was announced today. It'll be the first Macbook I've bought in over 9 years, and the first one I'll have ever owned with a retina display. So this guide will finally get some much needed attention as I'll have the first modern Mac in my hands ever since I did the big revamp on the guide in Wrath. Back when I used to have a whole list of common Macs and the settings for them.

Long story short, I'll be able to have much more details about retina performance on a Macbook Pro.
I am having major issues since the latest update...

Whenever I am in a raid or even some 5 man dungeon groups, WoW crashes and I get an error: 7A1C57B4-2232-407D-9B1D-2E9CB1000FBB

It seems like whenever my computer starts working hard, it crashes. What could this be attributed to? Graphics? Memory? Everything has been working for me in Legion prior to update 7.1.

I have tried tinkering with my settings and nothing seems to resolve the issue?

Anyone else having a similar issue? Anyone know how I might resolve this?
Yo. I am having a texture issue like you guys have mentioned. It acts like my graphics card is taking a dump but i just got this macbook pro like 5 months ago. I had my old one for 4 years until it took a crap. Anyone know how to resolve this? I think it was the last WOW patch or the last apple update. Can blizzard and apple talk this out??? Diablo 3 runs with no issues at all. Please help!!!!
Hey All,

I am running a Mid 2011 27" iMac with the following:

MacOS: Sierra
Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

When Legion first released, the client recommended I reduce my graphics (via slider) from what was previously 'Very High' to 4...recently it's been recommending 3....I'm confused as to why it constantly asks me to reduce the graphics quality.

My major issue is, that even with a reduction in graphics quality and resolution (I run it at 2560 x 1440 (Wide) because of the size of my screen, my frame rate doesn't improve. Normally I am at about 40fps and it gets worse from there, never better.

Would anyone have any insight/advice for a computer noob like myself as to why this is happening? I was under the impression that although my Nad is five years old, it still had the hardware to run WoW pretty smoothly with solid graphic quality.

Thanks in Advance!
I need a suggestion...
I've an iMac late 2013 with i7 and the fabulous GTX 780M with 4 Gb. Actually I'm playing @ 2560 x 1440 resolution, quality level @ 7 (only shadows set to ULTRA because i like it), but with render scale @ 75%. All running on Metal API (naturally).
I've tried to switch to 1920x1080 but for me it's to blurry...

Actually i'm getting 60-70 fps (starting from 30 fps in rare occasions, and a 110 fps indoor) but naturally i'll prefer to play @ full resolution to avoid the pixel-effect caused by scaled setup.
Is there anyone here with the same iMac? How did you setup WoW (resolution, quality level, etc...)? Is there a "suggested configuration" for this iMac configuration?
Just my random 2 cents, but...

I don't think 60fps is strictly necessary. Yes, it's great to be able to show you can do it, and I'm well aware of all the gifs out there from PC Master Race showing how 60fps is superior to 30fps and consoles are terrible and all that, but I've played this game at 30fps (or less) for years now, and it's not the end of the world.
01/06/2017 12:26 PMPosted by Azreluna
Just my random 2 cents, but...

I don't think 60fps is strictly necessary. Yes, it's great to be able to show you can do it, and I'm well aware of all the gifs out there from PC Master Race showing how 60fps is superior to 30fps and consoles are terrible and all that, but I've played this game at 30fps (or less) for years now, and it's not the end of the world.

No, it isn't, but the "PC Master Race" guys have already moved on to 144Hz as the standard. I myself play most of my PC games on a 1440p 144Hz monitor running off a GTX 1080-based rig that blows any Mac on the market out of the water on both cost and performance. After playing games at 144Hz, I can't even LOOK at 60fps anymore without it looking choppy to me. Let alone 30fps.

For the amount of money spent on a relatively new Mac, 60fps at a realistic resolution should be the bare minimum we should expect from them, regardless of where the money was put into in terms of production.
Would the 2013 MacPro with dual GPU work well with Legion? I know there was a lot of dispute when they first came out due to non-support of the graphics, but wondering if that is true for Legion?
01/17/2017 06:19 PMPosted by Melindel
Would the 2013 MacPro with dual GPU work well with Legion? I know there was a lot of dispute when they first came out due to non-support of the graphics, but wondering if that is true for Legion?

OK found some interesting discussions about this elsewhere.
I bought a refurbished mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" and WOW with Metal plays perfectly on it. I use graphics setting "7" and it is smooth like butter (I haven't tried any higher settings yet). OpenGL with the same settings is choppy.

My Hardware -
MacOS: Sierra
Processor: 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L
Storage: 512GB PCIe-based flash
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
I have a late 2013 MBP and the game runs amazing. The only issue I have is if I have Metal enabled as the renderer, the load screen can take several minutes when I switch instances or try to login. Switching to OpenGL changes this to under 15 seconds usually. The game just runs so much better with Metal enabled, though. Like night and day.

Right now I'm just dealing with it as the game looks better and runs better, but I cringe every time I have to switch instances (twice just to use my druid recall ability).

Great work overall, though!
Apple has also been erring on the side of caution (Gestapo) in their OS updates. I had fixed this for 7.1x but they changed something again.

As was fore mentioned, yes... we are amidst a switch from OpenGL to CL/Metal. Because a few systems in the Mac family don't have discrete Gx adapters (disparate GPU) those systems can sometimes won't properly support run Metal, therefore Apple created an emulation (version) to run on the main processor, essentially nullifying any video adapter you may have.

The dropped a statement into the plist configs (likely the version that they control with the Software Developers in order to get "Signed".

I've tried a few workarounds, but in a protective and wise move, it appears changes in the various .plist files get reverted by Blizz (likeley a safety/security measure), thus undo the change.

I figure Apple is protecting a very small group of users who might run into problems because they don't have a GPU compatible with Metal, but the fact is GL still runs fine and when enabled the game runs GREAT on most macs. I have a GT650M as a discrete adapter in my MBP. I truly believe it's just another way for Apple to force users to buy a new machine (again).

Here is the key that needs to be in the info.plist to PREVENT the Apple Induced "GPU Quarantine" which prevents an application from using the GPU.

NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching

I'ts a boolean on or off. You want it on (checked if using a plist tool).

The sad part is my Macs were running great after fixing apples intentional frag of their users without telling them. By the time you start disabling features people purchased and paid for as upgrades, they systems is essentially invalidated. They SHOULD give us the option to run our GPUs, but have an acknowledgement that it might cause errors... vs just be unbelievably slow.

If you want to test, I think there is a tool that I've used, because it was written for intense FP calculations, it was necessary to allow toggling GPUs. So try it out...

Fractal Architect -- Or just search it up along with the words "GPU Quarantine"

Good luck... lemme know if you get anywhere.
Question. Ever time I open my game it freezes on the character creation screen when all I'm trying to do is view my other characters on other servers. I'm on a macbook pro from 2010
All recommended updates have been made. iOS etc.
Curious if anyone for whom the RX580 is an upgrade has tried eGPU yet.
In case anyone is interested, I just received a topped 2017 27" 5k iMac. Did a quick test with WoW and had everything turned to Ultra with SSAO disabled. Sustained 70fps with drops down to 50fps when zipping the camera around while moving in the world.

I'm going to test it out some more later and see what if that holds up.

Specs:
4.2GHz i7
40GB 2400MHz DDR4
3TB Fusion Drive
Radeon Pro 580 8GB
06/15/2017 12:41 PMPosted by Lonae
In case anyone is interested, I just received a topped 2017 27" 5k iMac. Did a quick test with WoW and had everything turned to Ultra with SSAO disabled. Sustained 70fps with drops down to 50fps when zipping the camera around while moving in the world.

I'm going to test it out some more later and see what if that holds up.

Specs:
4.2GHz i7
40GB 2400MHz DDR4
3TB Fusion Drive
Radeon Pro 580 8GB

What are your anti-aliasing settings? I'm seeing more like 30-45 fps. 5k resolution, FXAA high, render scale 50%.

Only 8GB of RAM at the moment, but that's changing this week.

Also worth noting, the WoW client doesn't seem to be understanding the video card. It's recommending I set everything to Low.