WoW Performance Guide For Macs - Patch 8.0

I have a early 2008 iMac. Is there any settings specs for it? I know it is time for an upgrade, but can't afford yet... was actually told this at the Apple Genius Bar. lol

20 in, Early 2008 iMac
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
OSX 10.8.4
how do i devote more RAM to WoW?
I was looking through this topic as WoW absolutely sucks on this machine. It's :
21.5 Inch Late 2009 model
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
12GB memory (they were having a sale) 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB
OS X 10.8.5

It's sluggish as hell, all settings are on 'Good' at best, even at 'Low' I only manage 30 FPS. Anything I can put at minimum to 'increase performance' is on it. Is this the best I can hope for?
I can do basically anything in game with 30+ FPS if I run on all settings at lowest on my 2009 Macbook Pro. On another note, game performance (FPS) seems to increase the longer I have it on (not indefinitely, but it seems that an hour after I start playing, there's a lot less choppiness than there is right when I started).
Do you think I could survive with the 13" $1799 model currently on sale at

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Thinking of picking one up and not too thrilled about dropping $800 just for the dedicated graphics card. That said, looks like the benchmarks on single/dual core programs the 2.6 i5 is actually operating slightly faster than the 2.0 i7 which doesn't start to pull way until you're using all four cores on a 64 bit program so I'm not sure it's all that much faster considering (as far as I know) WoW uses at most 2 cores.
Thank you SOOO much for this thread. There really are a lot of mac users who are also gamers, and this is the most helpful guide I have found after A LOT of googling. Thanks so much!
2.5 GHz i7 macbook pro with 8 GB of RAM, ever since I upgraded to mavericks I have crashed every day at least once, any clue how to fix this?

*15" Late 2011
what does your MacBooks temp reach when your playing? just wanting to know. play on my tv, so i have my mac on the ground open like this > and have a fan blowing toward it when i hear the fans start to go up. but my macbook stays around 150-170 in regular play, but the fan starts up and temps go to 170-190 in major cities. anybody let their macbook go over 200 when they play? or whats a temp you should stay away from?i have all my settings on low.
Myumi,
I had the same model with the same graphics card and processor, and had repeated graphics card failures due to the fans not working correctly and getting incidental heat damage to the logic board. I would recommend taking your machine to the Apple store every time you notice performance issues/crashes, as it seems to be a common issue with that specific card. Do you have Apple Care? I did, and after the 3rd graphics card failure they actually replaced my whole computer with the brand new 27" iMac, for free. That's a pretty unusual solution unless you have had Apple Care from the original date of purchase and have had at lest 3 major hardware failures in it's covered lifetime, but definitely keep taking it in to maintain a record of the issues, just in case!
(Note that when working correctly, your iMac should sound like a small hovercraft--the fans on that graphics card are LOUD!)

If you do get a new model, be aware that the ones with the Fusion drive are still working through some significant issues with data movement and access across the two drives. The most recent update to Mavericks addressed several (one being that usb audio devices weren't working correctly-a nightmare for a podcaster like myself), but there are still some kinks. Be prepared to so some serious Googling if you get the new model and have any issues.
I was looking through this topic as WoW absolutely sucks on this machine. It's :
21.5 Inch Late 2009 model
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
12GB memory (they were having a sale) 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB
OS X 10.8.5

It's sluggish as hell, all settings are on 'Good' at best, even at 'Low' I only manage 30 FPS. Anything I can put at minimum to 'increase performance' is on it. Is this the best I can hope for?

I would not hope for much with your Graphics chipset. Even though you have a decent CPU and plenty of system RAM, you only have 256 MB video ram, which is going to limit you severely.

On my older Mac Book Pro, I set the overall slider to the lowest setting, but I noticed that a few of the settings were still not on the lowest, so I checked every single setting manually to be sure. The only thing I left "high" was resolution. I keep it at the maximum so it runs at the native res of the display.
I have a mid 2011 27" iMac, 3.4 i7, with the 2gb 6970M. Can run most things on high all day at 60fps with v-snyc enabled. Fps stays steady in town/LFR. If I push to ultra I start seeing temp issues unless the fans are running flat out.

I really recommend a fan controller like Macs Fan Control or SMC. If I don't use one, performance is pretty poor once the temps get up. But if you set the gpu at around 70c it seems happy enough.
Just to let the blues know, no I haven't forgotten about this thread. I've just had an extremely busy few months.

I DO intend to revamp this for WoD, and it'll be a much bigger update than last time, with a lot more detail about the settings. I do have a rough draft written thanks to the WoD beta, and I should be a lot more active as a poster after things settle down.

Edit: In fact, I'll actually be at Blizzcon for the first time this year, so if any of you Mac forum readers want to meet up, I'll be more than happy to set time aside to meet you guys. We can talk about WoW (or other Blizzard games) on Macs! :D
Does that " /console maxfps # " command change the slider in the System Settings section, or is it separate?

I'm curious because the slider seems to not allow every number, just multiples of 4 or 8 or something. Maybe I'm misremembering; just found this post during a maintenance period so I can't check atm.
Yes it's the same thing. Each tick is 5fps.
Thanks for this Stoneblade! When do you expect the WoD update?
It's funny you should ask. Because I'm just editing the final draft now. It should be updated later today!
The Performance Guide has officially been updated for Warlords of Draenor! If anyone has any questions, comments, or general feedback, please feel free to leave them here, and I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able.

Now go out there and hunt those hellboars!
TYVM Blizzard for the hot fix today. My iMac video fps is much better. I was really getting frustrated. I can actually play the game now. Thanks again.

Edit: My fps problem still exists. I thought it was corrected but I was wrong. Sometimes I log in and I get 40+ fps. I posted here thanking blizzard. A little premature I guess. Sometimes it is at 12 fps which is unplayable.
11/05/2010 04:27 AMPosted by Stoneblade
/console maxfps 60

Noob question: do you have to type this in every time you logon?
10/28/2014 07:36 AMPosted by Chapayuki
11/05/2010 04:27 AMPosted by Stoneblade
/console maxfps 60

Noob question: do you have to type this in every time you logon?

Nope.

Alternately, you can go into the System button on the ESC menu, go to advanced, and set the FPS via a slider. It's just not very descriptive about what the fps actually is at each tick of the slider. It starts at 5fps and increases per 5fps with each tick sliding to the right.