Wow Open Box software and Multiboxing

Blizzard doesn’t need to put in writing, if people are consistently getting suspended for it, then it’s quite apparent the software shouldn’t be used.

You are not gonna get a list of “you can use this and can’t use that” from Blizzard.

5 Likes

It means use at your own risk.

Think of it this way. I create a program. I say the program is within the wow EULA.

I lied. The thousands of players that trusted me get hit with 6 month suspensions

Or

It fully follows the EULA and policies. Policies change but I have abandoned the program. Same scenario as above.

Blizzard CANNOT control any 3rd party software, hence why you will never get a firm yes or firm no.

IF the program is designed to work in Lua within the in game addons you are fine. If they don’t lime the program they will break its functionality on their end. Looking at you World Quest Tracker and ezpz adds to groups

Sorry. But it is a perfect example of rhwm not liking an ability rhst was allowed and dk e fully in game. DBM drawing lines of where to go on your screen is another such example.q

1 Like

Except that the software may still be broadcasting, even if it doesn’t do it the way that it did originally. It’s like using macros with keyboard/mouse software. If it can’t be done with the in-game system, don’t.

Edit:
If it does something like change the focus screen and do an action it could be considered automation.

3 Likes

Unless you wrote the software, inspected the code and built it yourself, or bought a commercial package with ‘no input broadcasting’ clearly stated, you don’t know that.

1 Like

If you read the open issue, it’s not seeking blessing it’s asking about guidance on principles

1 Like

The guidance has usually been use at your own risk.

Well, from the op,

7 Likes

What they shoulda done when updating the multiboxing tos woulda been “all 3rd party software is banned for multiboxing” not saying “input broadcasting is banned” and then still ban people for either using hardware or non input broadcasting software.

They literally let us find other ways.

1 Like

Serious question: how popular is multiboxing in WoW? I we talking hundreds, thousands, millions of multiboxers?

If you want to give feedback about it, best to do such in the general forum, or in game. The CS forum is unable to pass this along.

1 Like

How about not use software to Multibox, I know plenty of boxers are doing fine and they are not relying on software to assist them.

4 Likes

They aren’t banning people for using hardware to multi-box. How would they detect it? It’s done with either synchronized dongles (wireless) or a switch (hard-wired). Blizzard would not be able to tell if someone was using synchronized dongles. A switch doesn’t always even show in the device manager. Using multiple computers to multi-box would look no different to Blizzard’s system than multiple players on the same LAN, like a family or roommates. Anyone speculating that Blizzard is banning by hardware is doing just that, speculating. It’s not based on any real facts.

3 Likes

When they first came out with the no broadcasting post i multiboxed with 0 software. All I did was make 5 windows and sized them how I wanted. I activated wow mouse hover over in the registry to have a instant response time. I then created macros to assist and follow all my toons. It’s not the end of the world for me if I have to do that. I don’t do any tabbing into any screens either. I have all 5 windows opened up on a big screen and just hover over each account to activate them. Now this round robin function is one function per screen but if u press the button it rotates through each screen so if u press the button 5 times fast it cast really fast. I can do the same thing with mouse hover over but it’s just a little sloppy. Also Blizzard is now suspending people from behavior and not software. if you act like a bot ur gonna get the hammer. I suspect if u have 8 druids and do 2x4 hyper spawns u will get the hammer.

I guess as a general rule, if you have to install something to do it, there’s a chance you shouldn’t be doing it. What is it doing for you that you aren’t doing for yourself? Why install it at all? Considering those questions might help.

4 Likes

Why don’t you ask yourself the same question when you install dbm or any other addon that basically tells you what to do.

Because an addon using WoW’s in-game LUA code is acceptable. It’s what it’s there for. If Bliz feels an addon crosses the line using their LUA, they block it to prevent it from happening in the future. They can’t do this with outside software. If a multiboxer runs an ingame LUA only addon, the chances of a punishment for that are very, very, incredibly low.

If my addon does something outside of that LUA code, I DO ask myself that same question. I have used addons that query an out of game database for info. I don’t read the code. If they change it tomorrow to be some sort of executable that does something against the terms, I’m out of luck.

4 Likes

Here’s the thing; Blizzard allows add-ons within the sandbox that they allow. If they don’t want something to work, they break it on their end. More to the point, there isn’t a reason to download something from some site to do something that blizzard doesn’t allow.

Best not to compare fishes to trees.

5 Likes

Because those addons operate in blizzards pre approved sandbox. If they don’t like a feature, like DBM drawing a line on your screen exactly where tk move when, they break the feature.

That’s why

5 Likes

Like others have said, if an addon does something that Blizzard doesn’t want it to do, Blizzard changes the api the addon uses to block it. Blizzard has control over what an addon can or cannot do. Blizzard has “broken” addons. Auto-joins for world quests. Scanning/posting capabilities of AH addons.

Blizzard is not going to advise on a third-party program they have no control over. A program could abide by the Blizzard EULA today, and not tomorrow.

It also means that someone potentially could alter it so it does, and put it up online for others to download.

2 Likes

Have you had any issues with GMs or other players doing this method?

Because 1) not all “third party software” will do something Blizzard doesn’t want you to do, and 2) there are no separate rules for multiboxers. Everyone plays by the same rules. There is no input broadcasting software allowed, whether you’re a multiboxer or not.

I think your disconnect is you read a thread where someone CLAIMS they are not using such software, but they are either lying, or the software creator convinced them otherwise.

This is not accurate at all. Stop spreading this load of crap around.

You don’t “install” an addon. You put the files in the WoW Addons directory, and the game client handles it. If you are installing anything, then you are running the risk that it will do something, knowingly or unknowingly, that’s against the rules.

This is the exact point Kaleberry is making.

11 Likes