WoW on console confirmed?

I wont lie. I would find this extremely humorous, if they did.

7 Likes

I’ve called it since they started the prune in WoD.
It might be possible to get a console port, more so with classic release right around the corner. They might keep current wow console friendly.

4 Likes

In my opinion, I rather MMO’s and online-only stuff stay on PC and never go to consoles. I prefer consoles for single players, and the option for multiplayer. For MMO’s and online only stuff I prefer PC.

Then again, if it did go to consoles, it wouldn’t bother me since I would still play stuff like WoW and FFXIV on my PC. Would just be another option for other people.

3 Likes

People still buy Xbones?

2 Likes

A more highly likely port is WoW Classic to mobile… just like Old School Runescape. Phones are more than capable of running Classic WoW and the game is less complicated than BFA in the amount of button pressing, since you mostly just spam 1 spell for most classes.

1 Like

Since at PAX they said it was not going to happen… gonna go out on a limb and say no.

At PAX East, videogame site DualShockers spoke with World of Warcraft Producer Daniel Stahl about the chance of the game coming to console, and he was less than reassuring about the idea.

Stahl mentioned to the site that porting World of Warcraft to consoles would mean altering fundamental parts of the game - parts that Blizzard thinks would ruin the experience.

“You know, World of Warcraft is really designed for Personal Computers, I think. There’d have to be so many different changes we’d have to make to make it a console game… We really want to continue making World of Warcraft as it is right now.

"We’d have to do something entirely different if we wanted to do something for consoles.”

Don't expect World of Warcraft to come to Xbox One, PS4 and especially not Nintendo Switch any time soon.
2 Likes

I think we may hear things like:

• pokemon style WoW mobile thingy
  • next expansion release information for WoW
  • something new re Starcraft or Overwatch, possibly even some form of PvE for Overwatch

Less likely is a big new PC game release. That doesn’t seem to be the way they are working now.

How would you even get WoW to work on a console? Unless they produced some extremely purned version of it.

The game I came from (EQAO) was one of the first MMORPGs on a console and it was great if somewhat limited. While I don’t think this WoW will go to console it would not surprise me if some version of the game didn’t make it over.

:cookie:

1 Like

This I will agree with. I wouldn’t be shocked to hear of a Warcraft console game, but not this Warcraft.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, that’s very doubtful, I guess it’s Sunday already…

Link source or you are making it up…

Ah, gaslighting. A time-honored tradition of tomfoolery.

Oh sure, show me up with your fancy one. :stuck_out_tongue:

As of recent there was a video made by Bellular https://youtu.be/h_Dlm0Xb2uk that reveals some coding meant for allowance of controller support. If this is true, that would mean that the only thing fundamental to change for the WoW client (the executable that users play the game through) would “just” need UX upgrades similar to that of ConsolePort if we’re just talking about PC which is no easy task. Server-side, if designed properly, fundamentals shouldn’t be affected by the difference in the player’s choice of input or what platform it’s played on. However, in order to bring it to console several things have to happen which is a matter of determining if it’s worth it to Blizzard to make happen. First you wouldn’t be able to just slap the game onto a console and call it good. While they have tried to blur the coding difference between PC and console in several development frameworks - WoW is built on top of an in-house engine and would again not be a matter of just re-compiling for a console built target and publishing to console stores for download/installation.

Can it be done? Short answer - yes. Will it happen? The real question is how much time, money and resources are Blizzard willing to invest in console for WoW. Gameplay wise it would have pitfalls at first but while there is more baulking of the premise of WoW on console on the forums, I think overall the gaming community welcomes it.

Hope not. Dislike consoles. Too many buttons.

You should give ConsolePort + WoWMapper a try. They do a great job of giving a preview of how Blizzard are likely to pull it off (if they do). It’s just as complex as the first time you start using a gaming mouse with 12 buttons, etc. You get used to it over time. You can map several combinations of controller buttons to accommodate all the skills that WoW has for characters. If they do bring it to console it makes no difference to those that play the PC version. Think of it as an optional platform to play on.

I mean, good thing you’re already playing on PC.

1 Like

No? Controllers work for even complex rotations. Ffxiv proves this. WoW has had addons to support it since at least Legion. Blizz is just making that official, yeah? Some players prefer it. Nothing to do with consoles. WoW is too old for that to be a good marketing move anyway.

They cleared it up - it just had to do with more players now using different controllers so whatever was datamined was just so that those players have better support for the controller they use.

1 Like

I hope not. Consoles kill PC games.

1 Like