Wow memery leak

My memory keeps going up well playing . So far it has hit 14 k I only got 16k of memory . Start out playing at around 6 k memory . Not sure been years but looks like its a memory leak .

Hey, Garrics! There’s no known issues with memory or leaks at the moment. We have seen this in the past with applications trying to share or allocate to the same section causing the memory to sky rocket. Could you try closing background applications to test? A common application we have seen in the past with our other games is with Discord.

If it continues, could you provide a screenshot of the task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC)? Use an image sharing website like imgur and paste the URL between two ` (~ key) like so:

`Link Here`
1 Like

What are you talking about myself and many others have been hounding these forums about memory leaks since 8.3. launched and all have been ignored and asked to do the “normal” tech support things and even posting our info for review! and all of the posts have been deleted or never followed up on !!

2 Likes

There have been some freezing and lock up reports with Nvidia GPUs on this thread that have had received memory leak reports, but this has not been confirmed yet. It may be relevant to the issues reported there.

If the game is also freezing and locking up quite a bit, please refer to the thread above. We are requesting details on this thread, with the following steps to try:

1 Like

Here is some thing WOW classic has no memory leak its only retail . And to see if it was addons I removed folder along with WTF folder . it stayed the same and did remind me why I play with out sound . Not sure if its part of the trouble but when the ram usage started to go way up so did CPU useage
. But in Taskmage it is wow using all the ram its wow and svchost exe but svchost exe stays the same

I’m running AMD , so it’s not that Tried all of those things and more this is Blizzard’s coding errors

1 Like

I just rolled Nvidia drivers way back to ones I new are good 384.94 fixed memory leak . Now got 20 minutes of putting Icons back where they where . Not going to test drivers I will stay with 384.94 . Think they will work with all the games I play . Would have to try other newer drivers if had 20 series Nvidia cards but lucky I do not
update random dc is still happening

After doing some checking around and talking with some other people, i still believe it is a memory leak. Some ( Usually with older hardware ) Seem to not be as affected, but most people with newer hardware are getting horrible memory leaks. ( Those with nvidia 10 and 20 series. Seem to be the most affected, although there have been reports of AMD users encountering the same situations. ). WoW Classic is completely unaffected and seems to be working normally for everyone in all cases.

Same issue here! Never had a problem with WoW before but BFA is freezing for 5-10 seconds every few minutes. Have a GTX1080ti and tried every possible fix I found here on the forums and the internet and nothing game still runs HORRIBLE. Did a full fresh install of everything still nothing. It’s a 100% blizzard side issue. They messed something up fursure.

2 Likes

Yea I really wish they would actually announce that the problem is on their end. I’ve done literally everything they’ve said to try and do to no avail. The game is almost unplayable for me at this point.

5 to 10 second freezes and a black screen, then comes back as if nothing happened. I’ve watched the memory and it jumps up to 16 gigs of ram usage when this happens. There’s absolutely no way to recreate it in game. It doesn’t crash but I can’t even alt+tab when it happens.

Fresh installs, No addons, Drivers all deleted and updated, no background programs. This is on blizzard and they’re completely dropping the ball. I have a 1070, 6700k and 16 gb of ram, play SEVERAL other way more intensive games than WoW and don’t have any trouble whatsoever.

Hey folks,

This isn’t the bug report forums, we’re here for technical support. The original poster fixed their problem with the Nvidia leak bug by rolling back their Nvidia drivers. All of your issues are probably unrelated if the same thing does not fix things for you.

I know it would be easier for you all if there was a button we could press or code we could change to fix this, but a Memory Leak is more complicated than that. Unless a game is coded poorly, it’s uncommon for it to be the sole cause of a memory leak, and we are not aware of any such issues on our end. For instance, I can play wow for hours with only minor increases in RAM usage (which are normal due to how we cache information.) Large increases in RAM usage (several gigabytes) which are never freed up no matter where you go are abnormal. It’s also normal for the game to use larger amounts of RAM during busy content or when you are using a lot of addons. Incidentally, Addons are one of the number one causes of RAM leaks in WoW.

Most large increases in memory usage are due to either a driver bug, such as the one Caterpepi posted about, or a conflict between the game and another program. The game and the second program will try occupying the same block of memory or using the same function of a driver, and the PC will not free up RAM correctly.

To the best of our knowledge, the game is freeing up RAM correctly currently. If you believe otherwise, please submit a bug report. We do not field bug reports in the Technical Support forums, as that’s not our role.

If you’d prefer to try to troubleshoot your issue, and you’re on a Nvidia card, check out the link above for more insight into what may be causing the issue. If you are not on a Nvidia card, you want to start your own thread or contact support.